• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Darksite (wainfleet) thread

cosmic dave

Just thought I would start a new thread so we can discuss the pro's and cons of the proposed new elac darksite nr Wainfleet.

Who wants to kick this thread off?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldfruit

• cosmic dave

• RonC

• Tibbz2

Is this for ems or elac?

Either really, it would be a elac darksite but all ems members are very welcome to come along and use it. We are all ems ;)

Pro's and Con's of the Wainfleet site'

Pro

Easy access

Clear horizons

Very dark (yet to be tested!)

Parking

Cons

Isolated

No shelter

No toilets

Pot holed access road (but what road isn't!)

Best wait to see how dark it is when Mark gives it a 'first light' test? (maybe Tuesday as it looks clear?)

Cheers

Ron

My sister lives in Wainfleet.

You will have to pop over for an evening when we get it sorted Mick ;)

The way i see it the new site is only missing toilets. We never had any shelter at Gib Point. There is a pub just up the road for the bad nights. It all depends how dark it is.

Certainly does look good on the map. quite excited about this site! Hope Mark gets a chance to test it this week!

Guest MakkaPakka1

Might go down myself on Tuesday if the weather is clear. It certainly looks hopeful. Just had new track rods on the car so I'll be careful on Sea Road though!

Guest @ndyC

I thought the new site looked really promising with hopefully little interruptions from boy racers etc. I do like Gib point for the facility's especially if we are to be open to all genders and family's,but the new site will no doubt be a better dark site for astronomy. If we mixed the meet dates between the two sites, hopefully we could strike a balance that allows us to enjoy the best of both sites.

That seems a good compremise Andy, split the 2 sites like Belper and Wymeswold! Although is the new site is 'really' dark there may be a problem??

I thought the new site looked really promising with hopefully little interruptions from boy racers etc. I do like Gib point for the facility's especially if we are to be open to all genders and family's,but the new site will no doubt be a better dark site for astronomy. If we mixed the meet dates between the two sites, hopefully we could strike a balance that allows us to enjoy the best of both sites.

That does seem to be a good idea. So the main meetings for introductions of new members and such like could still be held at Gib Point. Folks are then given the option of using the new dark site. We just need to be careful that we do not end up splitting the group as some may prefer one site to the other.

Having checked the always reliable forcast :lol: i am thinking of going to the Wainfleet dark site tomorrow (Tuesday 16/04) and will be looking to arrive about 8 pm so i can set up in daylight. If it stays clear i may well hang on there until after 1am to get the Moon out of the way and get a better idea of how dark the site is with no Moon.

If anyone wishes to join me your company would be most welcome.

I will post to confirm tomorrow.

I'm looking after the kids tomorrow night Mark :( very interested on how you get on tho. I have been told its used by others for night time sports if you know what I mean. If this site is taken on I might be worth getting a banner to put up by the road warning people we are there?