• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Darksite (wainfleet) thread

cosmic dave

Shall I call the yacht club at gib point to see if that would be usable?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldfruit

• cosmic dave

• RonC

• Tibbz2

Guest Justinshaw

I agree gib point is a great place as a base and this new site gives us more opportunities for extra meets,  

I read about a group who also use a nature reserve, they were allowed to build and observatory on the land and got lottery funding, will have to look for the website again

I agree gib point is a great place as a base and this new site gives us more opportunities for extra meets,

I read about a group who also use a nature reserve, they were allowed to build and observatory on the land and got lottery funding, will have to look for the website again

Wouldn't that be nice.

We could look at going down the lottery route ourselves, elac would have to go on a more formal footing first. We need to ask ourself is that something we want to do and is elac ready for that?

isnt there a meteor shower this weekend?

The Lyrids, only about 10 per hour though, plus the Moon will be qite bright. Meteor showers are a little unpredictable though and can also produce the odd fireball!

Can we have no talk about fireballs here please, not got over the 1st meet incident yet ;)

Can we have no talk about fireballs here please, not got over the 1st meet incident yet ;)

I heard you was still getting therapy over that incident! :lol:

I'm sure someone will fill you in on the details shortly Justin lol

Well it sounds like your secret is no longer safe Dave. :lol:

Justin, Dave is the person that got the ball rolling with ELAC and got us all started off.

Last year at our first meeting we had all had a great night, Dave was packing his gear away in his car and there was a massive fireball, it lasted about 12 seconds, really bright and broke up into a lot of pieces towards the end. Myself and Paul were shouting Dave again and again but he was so busy putting his gear away that when he did finally pop his head out of his car the fireball had gone.

The fireball was all over the news the next day and we had been lucky enough to have witnessed it, except poor Dave. :lol:

But i should mention that we never remind him Justin, only every chance we get! :lol:  :P

Guest Justinshaw

But i should mention that we never remind him Justin, only every chance we get!

Edited by Justinshaw

Then to make matters worse justin was that when the sept fireball passed over I was signing the keys back in at butlins at 11pm and missed that one while everyone else watched :(

We saw the Preseids last year in August at Gibraltar Point, that was a really good night. Lots of meteors and some were bright green!

nope, only seen a couple of meteors too, I think we were down gib in November (think that was it)

I think that was the Geminids and that was i think in December?

Guest Justinshaw

I was away most of December so it was before that one, wonder if it was just a shooting star we happened to see