• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Waves

xanthic

That is fab! Is it the effect the sound is having on the hose pipe or the water stream?

Jd

Quite fascinating. So was the reverse one actually water going backwards? or was it just an illusion - water was going forward but the wave was going backwards - like when you see in films, car wheels sometimes appear to be going backwards when the car is going forwards. Physics man, I dunno what that is. :screwloose:

Guest Wayne
Quite fascinating. So was the reverse one actually water going backwards? or was it just an illusion - water was going forward but the wave was going backwards - like when you see in films, car wheels sometimes appear to be going backwards when the car is going forwards. Physics man, I dunno what that is. :screwloose:
I know exactly what you mean :-P

At the start, the frame rate of the camera is the same as the oscillation rate, so it appears fixed. If you tweak the oscillation back a little (to 23 Hz), it'll appear to go backwards, like the effect you see in films with car wheel rotating backwards. The wheel hasn't quite made a full rotation by the end of the frame, so it appears to step backwards.

We did this when i went to Cambridge Uni a few weeks ago, the application of it was for inkjet printers  I had to sing :facepalm: the note to get the water stream to 'freeze' as such.  That stream froze as droplets in a straight line so i can only assume the hose introduces the wave effect.  And yes we had it appearing to go backwards too.

Sheila