• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

"White" Black bird.

Daz Type-R

it's still got the features of a blackbird but of course being albino it's white with red eyes.

Looks strange but I would love to see it.

Thanks for posting.

Its not an albino, it doesn't have red eyes.

Its leucistic, this is a genetic condition that blocks melanin being produced, melanin makes things black.

The leucistic pythons are a bright yellow form, but still have normal coloured eyes.

http://birding.about.com/od/identifyingbirds/a/leucism.htm

Iam surprised its survived that long, normally predators get them as they stand out so well.

When I was a kid, I lived in Long Eaton, and remember seeing an Albino chap, who had to wear sunglasses even in winter.

Nice guy, always said hello.

According to my Mum, he died at a fairly early age sadly.

I went to a school with an albino, he was a really quite kid, always kept himself to himself. He was picked on a fair bit, kids can be very horrible at that age. After we left school I never heard from him or even saw him again.

Same with me, new a girl when I was a kid (1950's) she died at 19 yrs old! You don't see any now, why?

It is strange how you never see them anymore, there must be a medical reason why not.

Same with me, new a girl when I was a kid (1950's) she died at 19 yrs old! You don't see any now, why?

You do see them. Back when I worked in children's emergency department (Ha ha,all of a year ago-well and now still! I digress) I saw a lot of albino children. Some of Indian descent but more commonly of Afro carribean heritage. I used to be fascinated by them. All the feature of a black child but completely white and with a blond 'Afro' hairstyle.

Its an interesting subject albinism as everybody notices the people with what's called occulocutaneous albinism (affects skin and eyes) however only quite observant people notice those with just occular albinism (affects just the eyes).

However as already pointed out the blackbird is not an albino :)