• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Craterlets in Plato.

oldfruit

I have just been out observing the Moon with the 12 inch dob. I was looking at the crater Plato and could make out a total of 4 craterlets on the floor of the crater. 1st is off centre to the left, 2nd and 3rd are together down at about the 5 o`clock position from the 1st. The 4th craterlet is up in about the 1 o`clock position from the 1st. Equipment used was 12 inch f5 dob with a 7mm Nirvana eyepiece, mag x214.  Should i be able to see any more craterlets on the floor of Plato with the equipment used and when the conditions are perfect?

Hi Mark

There are 6 amateur observable ones in there. I had a bash last night with an 8" f6 newt and my little Flt98 refractor for fun.

In the newt, at times of steady seeing I could get the 4 in the middle relatively easily and one under the rim of the crater with a bit of difficulty but this was before 20.30 with the sky still light and the moon not so bright. I couldnt get no 6 though, this is under the rim of the oppossite wall. However I tried again later with a darker sky and I couldnt get no 5 then, just the ones in the middle and these were harder than before, even with filters.

The 98 would only give me the 3 largest on the floor

Thanks Phil, as the phase of the Moon is changing quickly i think i will have to wait until nex time around to see if i can find these other elusive craterlets.