• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Draco Doubles - 27th April 2013

Guest Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

Hi all,

I have been at it again, this time I had a look around Draco.

Some nice doubles and one triple in this constellation. There are plenty more, but stuck to the easy ones.

My images can be found at http://cathprotech.coffeecup.com/doubles_draco.html but here are a few.

A close double, HIP 92717 at just 5.6" arc separation, on the limit of my scope.

This double has an un-named star above, which gives a nice colour contrast.

This is the triple, medium space primary and secondary with the 3rd component just 6" arc from the secondary.

Thanks for looking.

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis

That triple is very nice.

How do you process these? Do you have to do much to bring the colour out?

Guest Ely Ellis

Thanks guys,

I don't do any processing as such. I take 2 exposures at each of 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s & 15s, all at ISO 400. I then have to find the double on the resulting images as the are tiny within the FOV, but they tend to stick out quite easily and with the Goto mount, they will be in a similar position in the FOV for each double.

All I do then is to crop them to about 200 x 200 pixels and convert them from RAW (CR2) to Tiff, where I just select about 3 or 4 of the best from each double and save them. I take a single one that looks ok and convert to .jpg to post on here or my website, keeping the Tiff versions.

I don't do any cleaning up or enhancing of any of the images, they are as captured.

Most don't show much colour at all and as I use an acro-refractor, if I get really bright stars, they tend to have the blue halo. The 2nd image I posted here is actually a double, the orange star above the double has no connection to the double, but I cropped the image of the double slightly off centre to include the orange star as it looked nice against the double.

Although this orange star is shown on Stellarium, there is no name, number or distance shown.

Thanks again guys for showing an interest as apart from myself, I think only Phil (PhilJay) does doubles.

Cheers

Martin

I still say you might benefit from a bit of stacking Martin, try thinking of them as very small planets and process them similarly, not that I think there is anything wrong with what you have done so far :)

I love doubles me, its that sense of achievement when you def see them split or elongated at least. New to doubles and don't quite get the degrees, but love some of the contrast you can get. And that's before we start the physics. Great pics keep up the good work.