• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

International Astronomy Show

Streetbob

Guest endure

You lot meet up. I'll no doubt catch you all at some stage or another.

JD

You're trying to avoid the expense of SMSing us all   :lol:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Orion

• red dwalf

• RonC

I will be there tomorrow (Friday).

Need to check the time of the CCD talk but I will try and make it for a coffee at 11-30

i`ll be leaving for the show about 8:30am from Sandiacre area, traveling to Nicks (geezanovas) just of junction 26 m1 too pick him up.

there`s a place in the car for another one if anyone needs a lift.

I'll be there Friday, and may be Saturday if I have any money left.

I'll display a sticker EMS on my coat

I'll be there on Friday looking glum as everybody seems to be out of stock of HEQ5 SynTrek mounts until end of Aug.

Still it means the bank account won't take as much of a hit (or that's the theory) and I'll have more time to sweet talk the wife :rolleyes:

Might see you there Al

Just arrived.... Already seen lots nice shiny stuff I can't afford :D

Guest Eddy
Dome's not bad ... not sure about the pier though :)

:lol: :lol:

@James I think he's referring to you as the pier :P

Guest Kheldar

:lol: :lol:

@James I think he's referring to you as the pier :P

At least someone got it, I was about to ask if it came in any other than blue!

The pier is low, but looks pretty sturdy. But another £500.

and that line just makes me howl in the context I intended it to be :D

Well poo! I've got to go into work now on Saturday. Was looking forward to that :(

Wanted to see the baader planetarium stand to see if they had any 3.5mm Hyperions.

And which dome were you admiring Stephen? ;)

There were lots of things I wanted to bring home with me :wub:

Smashing show - got to chat with Paul Money and Pete Lawrence. Met and had a chat with Pete Shah and Nick Symanejk. Also met Simon Widescreen, Ian King, Dion from "the shed", Zoltan, and had a good chat with Nick at Altair. Tried to twist Atik's arm for a cheap 314L+ ccd but my negotiating powers musta been slipping.

Unfortunately I missed Dawson, Red Dwarf and Geezanova - couldn't see them anywhere. Met new members Dereck and Al, and saw Ibbo, Perkil8tr and one other I think...... The food was nice - I had the salmon - but at £7 I'm inclined to agree with Mike on the prices. Otherwise it was terrific to see all the gear - especially that 10" refractor - trouble is they never seem to have these beasts on a matching mount.

Nice day out and all very enjoyable. :)

Nice bit of name dropping there Kim 

Of course it's only effective in certain circles  ;)

I've spent the day attempting to sleep/pretending the phone isn't ringing/ignoring the window cleaner/throwing shoes at a barking dog in preparation for a Friday night shift. Preparation was poor.

Pleased to read you all had a nice day out.

Regards.

Smashing show - got to chat with Paul Money and Pete Lawrence. Met and had a chat with Pete Shah and Nick Symanejk. Also met Simon Widescreen, Ian King, Dion from "the shed", Zoltan, and had a good chat with Nick at Altair. Tried to twist Atik's arm for a cheap 314L+ ccd but my negotiating powers musta been slipping.

Unfortunately I missed Dawson, Red Dwarf and Geezanova - couldn't see them anywhere. Met new members Dereck and Al, and saw Ibbo, Perkil8tr and one other I think...... The food was nice - I had the salmon - but at £7 I'm inclined to agree with Mike on the prices. Otherwise it was terrific to see all the gear - especially that 10" refractor - trouble is they never seem to have these beasts on a matching mount.

we`re going on the Saturday Kim, earlyish,

what was best price on the 314l+ Kim ? Nick`s thinking about getting one,

hoping to get a few bits and one or two bargains.

Edited by red dwalf

Only £50 off an £1100 pound camera Rob - not even ten percent - dunno if Telescope House do them with their 10% off everything at the show. But WS and IK weren't doing any particularly attractive discounts - think I'll hang out for a used one (hopefully at Kelling). :)

@Paul "Nice bit of name dropping there Kim"

They were all clamouring to meet me lol :)

I was the other one Kim... :P

i`m very interested in the Brightstar Mammut ccd camera myself, 1/2 inch mono chip, same as my broken Meade dsi pro 2 camera but brightstar Mammut has a pelter cooing fan.

i know it`s not the most advanced ccd camera in the world but a far size chip and cooling for just under £400 i don`t think you can go to far wrong, the Meade was very sensitive little camera but had no cooling, also the brightstar makes a great giuder for the Canon 1100d if need be.

I had a great day. Got the Messier Atlas (been admiring that for weeks and the girl from Cambridge University Press was so sweet and the book was £10 off the RRP so couldn't refuse), an adapter bit for the focuser on my emergency Vixen refractor (the sales guy just took it off a show scope), and two bolt cases (£1 each), and got loads of help and advice. Nice to meet various staff from various companies I've pestered over the months.

I told the chef they should have black pudding on the breakfast menu; she said if I go back tomorrow she'd contact her butcher and get some tonight for me :) I do like black pudding.... No smart remarks Felix!

I found a guy, Brian Brooks, who can make me a set of tube rings.

Met a fascinating couple, Alan Buckman and his wife, who run a company called AWR Technology. Not sure really what they make, I didn't understand it all, something to do with guiding mounts. It as just lovely to talk to them.

Learnt there is a telescope outlet website: http://telescopeoutlet.co.uk/index.php/

And decided [again] I'd like an observatory. The pods are nice, but they look a bit too snug for my fat ass, and they look too much like an observatory and I think it would look too odd in my garden which is overlooked by several neighbours. The Ian King one really took my fancy: http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=184  the 7 foot by 7 foot one is £998, the 12 foot by 10 foot is £1335. They make warm rooms to fit on to them, 7 foot by 5 foot £499, 10 foot by 6 foot £672; they do sizes in between and bespoke sizes but these are the ball park prices. The can deliver (£1 per mile I think) but are based in Worksop. And they can install (I can't remember the price for that, but will ask again tomorrow). VERY tempting. I just need some EMS help to remove a tree :)

So, in all, a really good day, and the two talks I went to were good too; one on Mars and one on CCD imaging.

And most stalls had lots of eye pieces so they will have had whatever you wanted. There was a funny little French lad, Alex, who was on the Televue stall and had a list of prices he could sell his hundreds of eye pieces and powermates for at the sale; the 2x 2" powermate was £225, snd the 4x 2" powermate was £239.

I'm looking forward to my black pudding, lectures and another look at that roll off roof observatory tomorrow.

James

Ahhhh... it was Andy - thanks mate my memory's getting very ropey these days :)

See you tomorrow James, will arrive about midday I think ! (I like Black Pudding as well!)   :)

OK Ron. I may or may not see you! It's not massive, but there are lots of stalls and areas and lectures going on, and I seem to have totally missed Kim today.

Sat nav will try and make you turn left off the main road, but that is the trade entrance, so keep going to the round about, take a left, then our entrance is on the left a few hundred yards along.

James

Edited by dawson

Guest peter shah

Great show, had a super day....really nice to meet everyone, shame I cant be there tomorrow, nice  chatting with you Kim