• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Some more doubles

philjay

Couldnt be doing with hours of imaging last night so set about double star bagging in Gemini and Orion and had a really good couple of hours despite the counterweight slipping to its stop part slew, woke me up that one did :rolleyes:

A clear few hours this evening, very damp, seeing about 2.5 -3 not the best mainly due to high thin cloud, damp and high level turbulence.

Using the Meade 127 ED Triplet in the observatory linked to Skymap Pro11 I went on the hunt for some obscure doubles in Gemini and Orion.

STF 830 Gemini

2 very similar mag components (8 and 8.5) at a nice easy 12 arcsecs separation. The primary component looked yellow but I couldn’t really discern any colour contrasts in the secondary.

STF 889 Gemini

An obvious orange 7 mag primary with a yellow 9.5 mag secondary. An easy separation of 21 arcsecs. Again the colour difference was not easy to discern, atmospheric conditions maybe preventing this tonight.

STF897

8 and 8.5 with 19 sepeartion – unremarkable

20 Gemini (STF924)

A lovely yellow and blue almost equal mag pair at a comfortable 20 arcsecs separation. Mags according to the book at 6.3 and 6.9.

Nu Gemini

Binopair. The scope view at 50 mag was massive, a bright yellow 4.2 mag primary with a fainter orange 11.7 secondary at a really long 112†separation. A lovely sight.

15 Gemini

Just slightly off the FOV of Nu Gemini An obvious colour contrast of white / blue with mags of 6.6 and 8. The big 21.7 arcsec separation makes this a nice comfortable pair to split.

Epsilon Gemini

White and Blue at mags 3 and 9 with a big 110 arcsecond separation. A good looking pair in a nice background

STF 761 & STF 762 Sigma Orionis

These are an interesting grouping forming what appears to be a triangle. An unassociated mag 6ish star forms the head of a triangle with the 2 stars as the base about 2 – 300 arcsecs away. One of the base stars is 761 at 8 and 8.5 mag with an estimated 60 arcsecs split.

Halfway between the head star and 761 lies a multiple system 762 lying somewhat parallel to the base is the Sigma Orionis system A, B, C, D and E.

The brightest A-B are a striking 4 and 6 mag at a separation of 0.2, now this took some mag to split and had me squinting but stretching it with 200x I made out some dark sky between them at times of steady seeing.

Now the C component is 11.4 arcsecs away and at a mag of 10.3 shows a nice brightness contrast to the other members.

The 7.5 mag D component lies 12.9 arcescs away from AB and the E component at 6.5 mag lies 42.6 arcsecs away from AB.

All main components form a staggered line and together with 761 makes for an interesting field of view.

Alnitak STF 744

A very nice Blue White 1.9 mag primary component with a close mag 4 secondary at 9.9 arcsecs separation. These spilt quite easily with 100x. A third component at 2.4 mag lies quite a way off at 57.6. Could not discern colours in second and third components

STF 757

Now for a test of conditions, scope and eye. This is a triple but the primary is split by a 1.6 arcsecond gap but the 8 and 8.5 mag difference make splitting these a little simpler than if the secondary were faint. The 3rd component is a similar mag of 8.5 but is at 51 arcsecs an=d was easy by comparison.

Phil

Edited by philjay

The Sigma Orionis system is one hell of great sight isn't it. I've looked at it with a variety of scopes over the years and I'm always impressed. AB is indeed very tight and have only managed it with the big dob. I bet it looked great through an APO, I will have to try it with my little 81mm triplet to see if that can split it, it's got a good chance as I Ibbo and I split one in Cancer which was 1.8".

Fantastic write up Phil, as a newbie I think I am far off from giving these a go with the scope I have, but these write up's will serve as a future guide as and when I can get a whopper of a scope!!

You know I never really thought much about doubles and multiples in the past, then when I got the F15 I just got hooked. A couple of hours going through the Cambridge Double Atlas or SAC database is very satisfying.

Tell the truth Mick this is the 1st time I have looked at Sigma Or and wow I never knew there was so much in it :)

Darren you dont need a whopper of a scope to hunt out doubles, my little 1964 vintage 60mm Swift scope (sadly sold now) was a little cracker at splitting em, the double double in Lyra was a synch with it.

Have a go with your Dob at Sigma Orion or Alnitak, quite easy to find using an atlas or planetarium software. Then of course there is Castor in Gemini a lovely multiple with great colour, youll like that one.

John, remind me to take you through Bootes doubles at SGL7, its loaded with em and is fascinating, I reckon that constellation has mnore doubles than singles.

Phil