• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Light pollution and a DSLR

dawson

When using just a DSLR and lens to do widefield imaging, how do people filter out light pollution?

Thanks.

James

But how do you mount a light pollution filter on a camera lens? I've only ever seen 1.25" or 2" light pollution filters and i think my true wide angle lens has a 72mm or 78mm screw thread.

Darker skies aren't an easy option.

James

Guest Kheldar

As above, my weapon of choice was a Hutech IDAS V2 LPS filter and a drop down adaptor to convert the lens thread to M48 (2" filter thread)

If you are just suffering sodium pollution, can you fix it in Photoshop?

You can show me how to do that sometime leigh, i get bored of playing with images in photoshop, i find it so tedious!

Jd

Stuff "long process" :)

This thread was inspired by one on SGL, a guy there has given me a link to the clips which fit inside the camera: i like that option as it means i could use various lenses. It's just confusing which filter type i'd need as there appears to be many of them.

James

Looks like the CLS (whatever that stands for) eos clip is about £108; that's a considerable investment.

I might just have a play with a stepper ring on a smaller lens and borrow a 2" light pollution filter off someone first to see what impact they make.

Thanks.

James

I've got a 1.25". I know it won't fit, but look through it and you'll see the difference. I'll bring it over.

Ok, thanks. I've sent you a private message anout ABS too, check your inbox.

Jd

So is there much difference between the CLS and the CLS-CCD filters?

I'll look out for one on ABS.

James

I'm just guessing here but I would think the cls filter for a scope is for observing, and the other is for the ccd camera chip. Both do the same or similar job which is to reduce the effects of street lights.

Guest Kheldar

As I said up there, CLS-CCD is for modified (or CCD) cameras that don't have inbuilt IR cut

Regular (non modified cameras) can use the CLS version

Super, thanks stephen and others; it is the CLS one i'd need for my canon.

Night.

James

James. Look up didymium (or dydimium) filters.  There may be some info on those which you may find interesting.  They are a special glass that contains certain lanthanide elements.  They have an absorption spectrum that will take out the yellow sodium D line emitted by sodium street lamps, but I think the sodium street lamps have a wide emission spectrum and not all the light will be taken out by the didymium filters.  I saw an interesting demonstration of this filter.  Shine a white light source onto a wall. A projector is good.  Insert into the beam, a prism so that the light is split up into a rainbow. Now, insert the dydimium or other filter into the beam and look at the rainbow spectrum on the projection wall and see a dark line (or lines) which shows which light wavelengths have been absorbed by the filter - generally a black line in the yellow part.   

Thats interesting; i've seen there are neodymium filters bit never really thought about the science behind it.

Thanks

James

Clips filters can't be used with an EF-S type lens (they extend further into the camera body). The older EF are ok.

FYI.

Regards.

As Paul says; I have a CLS clip filter fitted in my modded 1000d, I cannot fix the original 18-55 lens on but I can fit my Sigma 70-300 lens. The filter works very well and my photo's are the evidence!

Cheers

Ron