• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Disappointed with local Observatory

Guest MrsR

I wont name names but its not hard to work out what Observatory I am referring too, but I am so disappointed as it is virtually down the road from me and last year I was not really made to feel welcome - very much a closed shop - and I know others feel it too.

If I am honest the few times I met peeps at EMS there were friendly but I think because of the bad vibes at this Observatory I even shy'd away from EMS as felt a bit paranoid like maybe it was me.

It has ruined my excitment I have to say.

Nikki.

If the observatory is the one I think you are talking about, it's not far from me either (is it near a golf course?).

If it is the same one, my experiance of said members were of a similar (but not exact) level to your experiance, some of them came across quite arrogant but there were some who were really happy to help. Granted I have only been the once (on an open night) and there were some talks, a short video and a look round the obsy, but the one thing I did not like was the fact they only had a small number of members, the waiting list was hugh and some of the more longer standing members felt it was the best obsy in the country and that these newbies should not be allowed (my opion).

Anyway, I would like to stress that EMS is nothing like that and I wouldn't base EMS members on the vibes you have received from others. We are a cracking friendly bunch of people on here and I would hate to think that we have lost a member due to the arrogance of others.

Hope I have helped to keep you within our little community and trust me, you are not paranoid, and you have nothing to worry about.

Regards,

Darren.

I know where you mean !!! never been there I went to Cleethorpes AS last month and they seemed like a jolly bunch, very friendly

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Mrs R,

I do not mind naming names, when I first moved to Mansfield I thought great Observatory close by happy as a pig in doo das. That was until I tried to join. Gosh the audacity of it, daring to even want to join, only 50 members as thats all the lecture theatre can hold, no new blood - they are dinosaurs on the way out, nah couldn't have meant it three years on the trot - don't even bother trying.

Started with SGL then EMS. Went to a meeting fearing the worst of cliques and groups, nothing could be further from the truth. A very friendly bunch, with a pub near to both dark sites who could ask for more :D .

Oh and some great folk in there too, and Martyn with his portable coffee shop!!.

See you Saturday.

Cheers

please don`t ever be put off coming to one of the EMS meets,

we don`t have a closed shop and no one owns the club, that was one of the reasons it was set up in this manor,it`s for everyone, new comers and more experianced guys and gals, and another reason we try to book in at star parties in the same area so no one is left out and you can get some great advice. i`m always asking for help, just ask Noel for one ! he used to help me polar align my scope as i could never get it right L.O.L.

don`t let a few old farts put you off the hobby.

The disappointing observatory made me very welcome when I last visited.

Loads of people had a look through the telescope that night.

I remember the long queue, they even gave me a warm smile as they took my money

in exchange for a 30 second glimpse of Saturn.

Needles to say I've not been back since.

Paul

From my point of view, this little band of Stargazers made me all the more eager to get a scope and get gazing. I've never met a more welcoming bunch, which is why I wanted to give something back (forums).

EMS is bloody awesome. :D

It's a shame they seem to have that attitude nowadays.

I was a member their as a youth in about 1989/90 and have fond memories of the monthly talks and of looking through the scope and seeing the planets for the first time.

It is a very small venue so I can understand to some degree why they wouldn't want it flooding out with new people.

When I was there 20+ years ago the LP wasn't too bad but all the construction since on the MARR route, the industrial estate on Hermitage Lane plus the new multi-coloured Kings Mill must really pee them off!

Their loss is our gain ;)

From my point of view, this little band of Stargazers made me all the more eager to get a scope and get gazing. I've never met a more welcoming bunch, which is why I wanted to give something back (forums).

EMS is bloody awesome.

Agreed :)

It doesn't matter how experienced you are, what equipment you have, or may not have. If you have an interest in Astronomy then ALL the members on here will help and assist in any way they can.

I like this forum for its non judgmental attitude, peoples willingness to assist, and pass on valuable knowledge.

Come and regain that buzz! :)

I guess it's like any activity really - there's allways the odd bunch of introverted cliquey types who just want to keep to themselves. Then there's the open friendly welcoming types, like us here at EMS, who will promote to, and help, anyone that's interested in the hobby.

Personally I prefer the second of the two - Hope we see you again soon Nikki. :)

Guest Bryndalf

I think some people, get so entrenched in little groups that they forget the world outside. The old guys prob started when stargazing was very much a minority hobby and they feel as if they have put heart and soul into their observatory...now these pesky kids want to join now its cool. They havent earnt the right....

Fortunatly EMS was started to get away from the politics and rules that a "Formal" club with Chairman and secretarys have to have. Just a bunch of people of all levels wanting to sit out at night and look at the sky. It just really helps that everyone in the group are friendly and helpful. If the world was more like EMS then it would be a better place :)

Just a bunch of people of all levels wanting to sit out at night and look at the sky. It just really helps that everyone in the group are friendly and helpful. If the world was more like EMS then it would be a better place :)

Very well said, fully agree! :)

The main thing to take away from such an experience is to not give up. You met a cold unwelcoming group of individuals who frankly don't deserve the energy and ethusiasm that some of us beginners would bring... That's where we make up for the lack of knowledge, the energy and enthusiasm to get stuck in. EMS on the other hand is the exact, polar opposite.

I've been in groups before for various things and I've had some pretty bad experiences (one nearly cost me my job, believe it or not). I learned what to avoid and what to embrace, and EMS is 100% on the embrace side of the line.

Shame you couldn't make it nikki, I was a good turn out but skies where alittle hit and miss, but talks where very informative.

Bad luck Nikki, hope your little one gets better soon. Hopefully you can make the next one.

There will be plenty more meetings Nikki so no worries - poorly kids come first - hope he/she is better soon :)

Thanks everyone, I have twins and they are both poorly now :( Husband was glad I stayed in that night.

Ahh not good, hope they both get better soon and hopefully you and your husband don't catch it either.