• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ASI130MM

Guest Eddy

Guest Eddy

I'm thinking of selling the atik and moving onto lunar/planetary instead and was looking around for a good camera that's got a high frame rate, simply because I love doing lunar mosaics but keep falling short simply down to the slow frame rate of the spc900.

What are your thoughts on this? http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Cameras/ASI130MM/index.asp

Or could anyone suggest another camera, there's no point me spending any more than that one down to my scope I don't think I'd benefit, but if you think there's a more expensive camera the 200p DOB or my celestron c90 could handle then I'd be open to suggestions.

Cheers

I've only used it once so I can't really offer much input at present. It is shiny and looks pretty. 

The frames rates you'll achieve (sorry if I am teaching my granny how to suck eggs (nasty saying)) depends on how much of the chip you use, and other settings; I thought I'd get 100fps but with the settings I need to capture Saturn it is still going to be in the range 15-60 fps, depending.

James

Guest Eddy

Hmm just comparing it to yours James, I thought this one was faster, but it only seems faster at the lower resolutions, which is good for lunar however its not a huge difference faster so I may actually consider the same as yours

I am colour so you'll lose the benefits of the increased resolution there too; 3 x less??? Or am i making that up?

You are welcome to come to ng2 to look at it tomorrow day or night, but i'm stuck at home unfortunately and can't bring it to a meeting.

JD

For Lunar mono is the easy choice, Planetary mono give awesome detail.

RGB imaging is challenging.

As said colour chip= less detail due to the bayer matrix.

With my DMK21 firewire I can do 60 fps on Lunar but rarely above 15fps on the Planets.

The bonus with mono is using a 742Nm IR filter to beat the seeing.