• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5 power mod

andyboy1970

DSC_3941_zpsc4f18eb9.jpg

Last week I modded the power connection to my HEQ5 after the power lead came loose during a slew.

I now have to redo my PEC training all over again (45 minutes).

Added a new socket on the r/h side and fitted a P-clip on the left to take the strain away from the EQMOD plug.

Nice mod. I've just acquired a HEQ5 myself and may be tempted to do the same at some point.

I do love a good mod. 

Nice one.  :thumbsup:

Are you coming up to Wymeswold tonight Andy???

I realise it's a bit of a hike for you.

Paul

Andy, any chance of telling me (in laymans terms!) what PEC and PEC training is all about please?

Cheers

Ron

Nice one, I did the sameon mine only Imanaged to cram the socket in thefront of the panel. No more flashing leds and no more power downs part way through a slew

I do love a good mod. 

Nice one.  :thumbsup:

Are you coming up to Wymeswold tonight Andy???

I realise it's a bit of a hike for you.

Paul

I won't be coming tonight, I'm actually not a darksite member as its too far for me.

Andy, any chance of telling me (in laymans terms!) what PEC and PEC training is all about please?

Cheers

Ron

Using EQMOD version H127 (I think) you can train EQMOD to make small corrections to the RA drive motor to counter the inherent imperfections in the gears.

You use you PHD calibrated guide camera select a star to guide on and then select record in the EQMOD menu, it then uses PHD outputs to record the imperfections in the RA drive, it takes 45 minutes to record. You only do this once and prvided you don't undo the clutches and park the scope it remembers where on recorded PEC it has stopped.

After that EQMOD use Siderial + PEC for smoother tracking.

Do not use EQmod? I use Park at the end of every session so I've no need to do it basically??

I'm guessing that if you park and then the mount gets nudged, that knocks it out and you'll need to recalibrate?

Do not use EQmod? I use Park at the end of every session so I've no need to do it basically??

I don't know what features the handset has now, but I suspect you don't have this feature.

I'm guessing that if you park and then the mount gets nudged, that knocks it out and you'll need to recalibrate?

If the mount is moved other than with the motors it looses its position and is worse than if you hadn't bothered PEC training.

This is the old version - http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/ppindex.html

The new version is an all in one function.

It will work fine if you don't move the mount axis's and get good polar alignment. 

Set the park position with the DEC axis at 0 degrees.