• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

last nights atempt .....

Guest billywhizzzzz

Guest billywhizzzzz

I would like to start off by asking you to bear with me , as im very very new to all this .

Anyway got the telescope out last night , thought I would give it a bash , I know the moon was big and bright so not ideal but I thought what the hell, I've only had the scope for a few weeks now and not really had the chance to use it for any length of time , anyway......

I  had about 4 hrs in all , and got to see some of the nights wonders , which are as follows

M92

M13

Ring Neb

NGC 6543

M25

M16 ( JUST )

M11

M31 ( JUST )

M32

M52

M29

M82

M81

msut say though , and yes this may sound like a stupid question , but does the bright moon affect the seeing that much ? only reason I ask is I was a bit disappointed with the some of the views I got  esp. Andromeda , that was just a 15 mm smudge lol ,that said  cheep EPs I have may not be helping , I have a standard Celestron 25 mm plossel that came with scope  and I bought a celestron 7mm x-cel  .

still I had a great time out there till early hrs , in fact im going to do it all over again tonight

steve

Sounds like you did pretty well to me Mike, especially considering the following.

I don't think the general sky conditions helped at all on that night, with some thin high cloud at least from where I live. The moon being big and bright also contributed more than usual. I looked at a light pollution map and see that you are also in the second brightest zone on the outskirts of Lincoln.

Your disappointment with the views is something that we all get in the early stages of this hobby, especially after drooling over books full of wonderful Hubble type images of DSOs.

This country is not blessed with the best conditions to let you get the most from visual astronomy. Unlike say, the mag 7 skies and zero light pollution in the Arizona desert, where you really can see so much with so little.

However with a bit of planning and the right techniques, it is possible to get some absolutely cracking views of DSO's from this country, and when the right conditions come together, even from your own backyard.

When conditions are not too great, you may still get very enjoyable views of brighter objects like The moon, planets and double stars. Many DSOs are faint and elusive and therefore so easily diminished by the glare of the moon, poor atmospheric conditions and light pollution. Some cloudless nights, even after good dark adaptation you will see only very few stars in the sky, on others you may see an incredible number. The latter are the best nights for DSOs.

Specifically regarding Andromeda, it is supposed to be one of the brightest DSOs, but it is so large that the light is spread out over a very large area making it seem quite faint and difficult at the best of times. Also it is currently rather low down most of the night so you are seeing it through that thicker, murkier, more turbulent atmosphere down near the horizon. From your location, it will also be well down in the glare of the  Lincoln light pollution. I'm surprised you saw it at all :) .

The light pollution map shows that you are quite close to some very dark sites, assuming you have transport and can find a suitable place to set up. Use this forum to help you get to a dark sky site with others who can help show you how to get the most from the hobby. Watch your weather forecast closely and plan for that good night. For DSOs, pick nights when the moon is not there too wash out the view. Get prepared by planning what to look for, without being too ambitious until you gain more experience. Seeing faint objects and detail in them is something you learn to do better with more experience. DSOs just don't jump out at you like X-Factor contestants on a big flatscreen TV :D . Some nights they just don't show at all because everything is conspiring against you. The equipment you have will show you some wonderful sights, on good nights. Better eyepieces and other equipment may help, when you learn what is right for you, but our very variable sky conditions are by far the biggest factor.

The more experience you get, the more you will enjoy your observing. Good luck.

Oh, and one other tip.

If you don't already have it, get some dew control. Your C8 has a big corrector plate on the end. This is a dew magnet, and will attract dew quickly. Sometimes you won't even see it when looking at the corrector, but in the eyepiece things will start to get a bit fuzzy, soon afterwards you wont see much at all.

You can easily make a dew shield for next to nothing, or buy one, or even invest in electronic dew prevention tackle.

You will definitely need it.

Guest billywhizzzzz

thank for all of that , I will and have taken it on board . really do appreciate all the help and advice

I went out again last night , and had a completely different experience , I sat for nearly half an hour just starring at the Hercules cluster  ..... just sheer beauty !!  ( imo)  . also lots and lots of fuzzy galaxy's and double stars ,

before I started I had another go at checking my collimation , and saw it was slightly off , anyway had a go at adjusting it and got it spot on , also noticed a slight film on my prism on star diagonal , so gave that a bit of a clean and ..... bingo  stars were just popping out everywhere  before I knew it , it was 3 am haha .

steve

Sorry for getting your name wrong Steve :)

Glad you had better views last night.

Often simple things can make all the difference to what you see or don't see, and how well you see it.

Guest billywhizzzzz

yeah I think the fact that im starting to know what im looking for too , as you all well know  its sooo easy to miss what your looking for if your not sure what your looking for , I must say for a total novice like myself  the Tour mode on my goto is pure genius , my next step is to take it out to a dark site , I have the use of a few aches of land in the middle of nowhere about 5 miles from me ,

Steve, I will be going to the Wainfleet dark site next Saturday night with others from EMS (ELAC) if you really want to see the difference a dark sky can make, you are welcome to a lift, either with or without your scope?? Interested?

Cheers

Ron

Guest billywhizzzzz

Steve, I will be going to the Wainfleet dark site next Saturday night with others from EMS (ELAC) if you really want to see the difference a dark sky can make, you are welcome to a lift, either with or without your scope?? Interested?

Cheers

Ron

Ron I would love to , however were in portagaul for a week , were back on 8th 

We go on the 8th to Mallorca, so it will have to be end of June/July then! Your welcome. :)

Ron

Guest billywhizzzzz

yeah that sounds great ron , gives me chance to maybe learn something before we go , like I said I have use of a piece of  farm land out near brant broughton your welcome to come along , think im going to have a word with the farmer ( a mate of mine ) see he would mind a few of us going , as I would like to extend an invite to a couple more at some point

steve

Steve, even those we look up to as experts admit they are still learning. On the other hand you have seen a lot in one night. I don't have a GOTO 'scope, as I can't afford one and decent optics. I notice you didn't list M27 (good in my 5" Mak on a good night).

Anyway, here's a list of objects to hunt down: http://philippugh.comlu.com/Directory.html