• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

GOTO mount

Rock Doctor

Am I right in thinking that I can check that my goto mount is tracking objects simply by either doing a dummy alignment followed by getting it to point somewhere at a target or using the arrow keys on the handset to point at a target [say a cross on a wall] which I could look at through the finder scope and then just leave the scope running for a period of time. If the tracking is working then the finder should have moved off the target. If this is possible then I can check it tomorrow during the day. :mellow:

Yup - it should appear to have moved off center visibly within 20 mins if you have a keen eye. Ensure the finder cross hairs are aligned as well - it will be just as obvious in that. I reckon a 15mm eyepiece should do the trick in the scope :)

Thanks, Kim!

I thought I'd just had a senior moment or a flash of brillience and couldn't work out which as I was thinking I must have overlooked something.

;)

I'll try it tomorrow during the day to save wasting dark viewing time.

Kim,

I've set the scope up in the conservatory, bypassed the align process and used the arrow keys on the HS to point the finder scope at the top of a fence post in the garden. Then I checked that tracking was set to Equatorial North and rate to sidereal and guess what...........left it 10 mins and the finder scope has moved off the fence post. I've since move it back to the fence post a couple of times and it has continued to move. I guess the firmware update to the HS and motors must have done the trick or the operator has pressed the right buttons this time. Another thing that I've noticed though is the part of the mount where the HS and Aux plugs, plug in to makes a constant high pitch whine. It's not loud but is audible, Is this normal?

I'll try my best to down a few wets and maybe a malt or two before bedtime. lol

Trying to coax the wife into going to EMS1 in October but she's worried that it may be too cold to camp in a tent.

That's great news Dave. The weather is usually ok for all nighters in the autumn - but you just can't predict. Last year at Kelling we had scorching days and warm nights. If it does turn out cold then it's a good excuse to huddle together after a passionate night's stargazng lol.

Most of them do make a little wine as they are tracking. Depends how loud it is as to wether it indicates a problem. I'd need to hear it to make a judgement - check it's not overtight in the wrong areas if you've been fiddling with any bolts/screws on the mount other than the regular ones for moutning it :)

Thanks Kim,

the noise doesn't sound as though any gears are missing or there is anything really untoward (probably sounds louder because it's usually quite outside in the dark) and I've not unscrewed ot tightened anything other that the bolts on the dovetail and the grub screw for releasing the dec axis collar with the alignment mark through 180 dgrees. But I'll leave final judgement until you have cast your expert ear.

Sounds ok Dave - one of the magic things at a starparty is the sound of 100 scopes slewing around as you walk past them in the dark, and the quiet whirrrrrr of tracking mounts lol :)