• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tracking on a goto.

Daz Type-R

Hi, bought the mother in law a Skywatcher 130P sync scan goto the other day and she had left it with me to set up. Done everything I believe I should be doing but when I ask it to find say M45, it slews round in the general direction but is just off, you can just see the object in the finder scope but not in the main scope. How do I make it more accurate? Where do you guys get your coordinates from, as I'm assuming even slightly off would throw the scope out, I used the compass on my IPhone4S to get north and west degrees. Help!

Also, she is coming with me this Saturday and we will be bringing the scope with us as she is a newbie to all this, so if it is easier to show than tell me I can wait, cheers guys.

Edited by Daz type-r

Most goto's have a "SYNC" mode, this is where you have completed your align process, then slewed to the object, which is a bit out. Centre the object and then sync it, you may have to do this on a couple of objects, but gives the mount better pointing accuracy.

Some mounts have to be level and pointing north,or they get a bit unhappy.

Bring them with you on Saturday Darren - we'll align the scope and the mother in law for you lol :)

Pmsl :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Had a few hours last night with the 130p, but I have another goto question. Every time I remove the power from the goto I have to do an alignment, even if I don't move the scope, I put the power back on, ask it to find something and it is goes in completely the wrong place. Is there anything I can do so it remembers where it is, and only do an alignment if I move the scope? There is a "park" option, would that be it?

You must 'Park' the scope (in the home position) and switch off when the handset says to. (At least that's what I do!)

Yup - if you park it then it'll be ok next time you start up. But it'll only be accurate if the scope/tripod hasn't been moved. If you need to recenter the object just hold down "Escape" for 2 secs and it takes you to the PAE (pointing accuracy enhancement) screen.

Re center the object and hit "return" and it will add to the position map it builds up each time you do it. After 2-3 PAE's on a few wide spread objects it becomes very accurate. Do th initial alignment in a quarter of the sky with a well spread triangle of stars and it will be more accurate as it learns.

Cheers guys. I have no problem with getting it accurate, it was just annoying every time I removed the power even though I never moved the scope it went bonkers. Will try the park option next time I'm out. Thanks a lot for your help.

Not got the correct power cable to run from my battery or from the mains, so when we pop in for 10mins or so, to save on 8 AA batteries I was pulling the plug.