• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Extra observing session Badger Farm 15th June

Hope for clear skies tonight for you all, just back from hols!!

Guest MakkaPakka1

I won't be going sadly thanks to work (going to the stated, woohoo,!). Hope the night goes well for you all. See you July!

Nice to catch up with everyone tonight. I did manage to get lost trying to find the site as it is so out of the way but when I did eventually manage to find it I was pleasantly surprised.  The site itself looks very good and has clear horizons in almost every direction. I think when the nights get darker this will prove to be another popular venue for us Astronomers as there is very little or no light pollution as the site is so far from any source of light. We really are lucky over here in the East of Lincolnshire.

Despite the weather we managed to see Venus naked eye and with the help of binoculars Mercury was also visible. I was especially pleased to see Mercury as I have only managed it a handful of times. Thanks to Paul for showing me where to look.

The Moon looked really nice this evening. Paul managed to show us the "Lunar X" so again thanks to Paul.

It was difficult to see many objects in their full glory tonight as it was still not fully dark at midnight. In between the clouds we did manage to see M13, M57, M51, M27, The Double Double in Lyra. I had a quick glance at Mizar and Alcor. Saturn looked nice as always though due to cloud we were unable to spend much time on it tonight.

About 12.30-12.45am it started to rain so we all packed up and headed home. I am keen to visit this site again as it has a very good Southern Horizon and I would imagine that the Summer Milky Way will look quite impressive from it.

Thanks to Paul for organising this evening and I look forward to our next meeting.

Sounds like another good site, roll on the darker nights!

Cracking lunar image Paul!

How many folks turned up?

Cheers

Ron

Thank You to everyone who came to Badger Farm last night.

Conditions were less than ideal but as Mark reports we did get some observing done.

We had 7 in total turn up.

I hope to organise more meets there and Colin ( foundaplanet SGL ) is planning a camping weekend in October.