• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Cazz

Cazz

Hi, I'm Cazz, my OH is Wayne. Many years ago when Wayne was 12 he received a refractor telescope for his Birthday, that was in 1985. Recently he has wanted to get it back into action, unfortunately over the course of time the eye pieces have gone missing, so I am currently in the process of finding replacements.

It's a learning curve for me, I know nothing, I've never looking into one ever before. So whilst researching I found this forum, so that's how I'm here. We are looking forward to meeting other members on here and in the flesh as it were. :)

Hi Cazz and welcome to EMS :)

We may be able to help if you can give us the make/model of the scope and it's focal length.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi and welcome to EMS. There's a meet this Saturday, check out the information and announcements section for more info.

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

The scope is a Hunter Astronomical, possible 1970's or early 80's, on a wooden tripod, it's 60mm refractor with 900mm focal length, the fitting is 0.965" and it's says made in Japan, there is no other info on it. I can't find any info about that era of Hunter, the ones that look the most similar are Tasco. :wacko:

Cazz - most scope nowadays come with a 1.25" or 2" fitting - the old 0.965 is very rare but you can get adaptors for them. You'd have to skim around but there was a thread around Xmas time on sgl that listed a source - might be a good place to start - then you could use modern 1.25" eyepieces. Hope that helps :)

(sounds like a reasonable scope worth tarting up a bit)

Welcome to EMS Cazz as Kim has mentioned you really need a 0.965 to 1.25" adapter off hand I don't know anywhere that sells them but I'll have a look round.

Thanks Kim, I've seen most are the size you mention, there is a lot of 0.965" on ebay, but I guess the quality isn't there making the results disappointing.

During my hours of browsing I've seen the 90* prism which will also act as an adapter, I've also seen a plain adapter that I assume will fit onto our current 90* prism, assuming our classic/vintage or just old prism is not the weak link.

I've also seen some threads on sgl about eye pieces, I see some people like the sets and some people say to go for separates, my poor head hurts and I've not even looked up yet, lol. :rolleyes:

I've loaned my Celestron ep set to Felix for evaluation - when it comes back you'd be welcome to try it out - personally I prefer seperates but I think the best of the sets is probably the Revelation offering. I'd rather spend £40'ish more though and get a good zoom like the Hyperion. Much better quality than anything in a set, and also more flexible.

For now though I'd get the adaptor and bring the scope down to an observing meeting where you can try a few eyepieces to see what works for you :)

I've loaned my Celestron ep set to Felix for evaluation - when it comes back you'd be welcome to try it out - personally I prefer seperates but I think the best of the sets is probably the Revelation offering. I'd rather spend £40'ish more though and get a good zoom like the Hyperion. Much better quality than anything in a set, and also more flexible.

For now though I'd get the adaptor and bring the scope down to an observing meeting where you can try a few eyepieces to see what works for you

Thanks for the loan Kim, I shall bring the EP set with me to Belper on Saturday night :) I so hope the skies are clear-fingers crossed.

Felix

Hi Cazz and welcome. A classic scope you have there from all accounts, bring it along sometime to a meet.

The adaptors for 1 1/4" eyepieces can be got from a number of sources including the well known online auction site. Modern long eyerelief eyepieces will transform the scope I know because I currently have a 1970s Towa 80mm which I have converted and its transformed the scope.

Phil

Hi Cazz, a warm welcome to EMS.

If you can't find any, I could loan you my Tasco ones to get you going, they aren't great quality, but they work.

Thanks again everyone for the welcomes and pointers, I've seen the suggested set, are the filters a good thing to have? I need to do more reading.

I've also seen a seller on the well known action site selling Plossl eye pieces for what seems like a good price, I'm wondering are they any good or is it a too good to be true situation?, am I right in thinking I can't post a link?

Thanks for that very kind offer Martyn, I'll see how we get on, and if we have no joy by the time we meet, I'll give you a shout.

Regarding the meet on Saturday, we will try and make it, but OH is working till possible quite late, so we will see how it pans out, fingers crossed.

Well the advert for a start is very tacky - you can spot them a mile off cos they make outrageous claims. Four pieces for £40 is only a tenner each - you don't get much for that even in a good astro suppliers. Imho they will likely be same or worse than supplied ep's. The other stuff being sold from that site appears to be cheap tat and/or copies. There's no really meaningful descriptions. Honestly - I would avoid like the plague - you can't even see the make of the eyepieces. Hope that helps :)

Take a look at First Light Optics, Altair Astro, Greenwitch, Widescreen Center, Rother Valley Optics, etc - these are all quality places with a range of reputable gear that have been hapilly used by many astronomers for years :)

Thanks Kim, My gut feeling was they weren't right, but I thought I would just check, my brain is running on overload, lol.

So these EP's are better quality compared to the Revelation kit, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-sp-plossl-eyepieces.html

Also I need the adapter, my next question is, am I better going for a new prism, we do already have one, but I don't know what the quality is like, or even how to check. Or if ours is ok, I assume this (2nd link) adapter will fit to it.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/hybrid%20star%20diagonal/24.5mm.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Aluminium-Telescope-Eyepiece-Adapter/dp/B005EBAPI2

Well plossls are a pretty standard design, what most folks start off with, and the Skywatcher ones are a very well known brand. Definitely better than the e-bay ones.

Your scope is f-15 which is much slower than the "f-6 and slower" suggested in the advert, so they probably would fit the bill and would be quite forgiving of any deficiencies in the ep glass. Multi coated is good, and edge blackened is good for better contrastt, and 50 deg field of view is usual in plossls. These will get you going for sure and FLO don't sell you rubbish - after sales service is good too if you're unhappy.

What you need to do is work out the magnifications you require. UK "seeing" rarely goes much above 200x. So a range between say 50x and 180x ought to be useful. To work out magnification simply divide the eyepiece focal length into the scope focal length.

Eg a 10 mm ep in a 900 mm focal length scope = 90x magnification.

Bear in mind the more you magnify - the better the quality glass you need and the more the atmospheric imperfections will be magnified - it's a balance. You may also consider a barlow lens - these effectively halve the eyepiece focal length. So two well chosen ep's and a reasonable barlow will give you 4 eye pieces (Eg a 30mm and a 20mm with a barlow also gives you 15mm and 10mm and this range of magnifications - 30x, 45x, 60x, and 90x in your scope).

These are just a few pointers really - I wouldn't get more than one or two pieces till you have more experience of eyepieces and how they differ from one design to another, and one brand to another. Hope you make it to the meeting tomorrow - I'll be covering eyepiece's and barlows in one of the short presentations. :)