• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Lincs

Guest Hansen

Guest Hansen

New to all this. Just decided to chuck myself into this hobby, as I have been fascinated by what one can see with the naked eye. After much research over the past 5/6 months, I have opted for a skywatcher 130p which I have just bought off ebay as new, which I hope to get soon. This was a head wrecking experience as there are far too many scopes to choose from and not knowing what was good, ok or rubbish did not make it easy for me, but hey ho as they say, I hope the 130p will serve me well. Was trying to find a club or forum in the region I reside and found the EMS forum. Well chuffed with that.

Hope to learn alot from the many who have alot more experience than myself.

Thanks

Hi Ian and Welcome to EMS. :)

The SW 130P is a cracking little starter scope - you've made a great choice. Joining EMS is also a good move - come to one of our observing sessions and we'll help you get set up and iron out any probs. You'll also get to see more kit and start learning about the varied uses of different types of scope - we must have just about one of everything between us.

Meantime enjoy the forum and ask as many questions as you like - someone will have an answer for you. Have fun! :)

Hello Ian, Welcome to EMS.

You are very welcome to join us at a East Lincs Astronomy Club meeting.

Guest Hansen

Thanks for the welcome. Had a look at tbirds lincsastro links. Certainly will be keep a close eye on events in the future.

Hello and welcome.

I've given up trying to do any observing in June or July as it just doesn't get dark early enough. Plus this year it seems rhere is far too much cloud anyway.

James

Guest billywhizzzzz

Hi ian ,

Welcome to the fold , not been here myself that long , but cant  get enough of it now . there are some fantastic members on here that are always willing to help you out , or just give you some straight up good advice

Regards steve

Hi Ian and welcome, as you have probably seen, a few of us in Lincolnshire meet quite often at some of the dark sites we have. You would be more than welcome to come and join us.

Guest Hansen

Hi Ian and welcome, as you have probably seen, a few of us in Lincolnshire meet quite often at some of the dark sites we have. You would be more than welcome to come and join us.

Will keep my eyes and ears open for meetups.

Hi Ian, welcome to the EMS.  Wymeswold site is quite nice for observing. I met some wonderful astronomers there with excellent equipment. They're always friendly, helpful, and welcoming.

First tip Ian - your finder scope is on the wrong way round in that picture - so the seller has no idea what they're doing with it I would guess. Otherwise it's a pretty standard configuration for a 130P on an EQ2 mount/tripod. Looks useful and there's lots to see with it. :)

Guest Hansen

First tip Ian - your finder scope is on the wrong way round in that picture - so the seller has no idea what they're doing with it I would guess. Otherwise it's a pretty standard configuration for a 130P on an EQ2 mount/tripod. Looks useful and there's lots to see with it. :)

:D I wondered why it looked abit funny. I thought 'is it me, or does someone like scoping for grass'?. Thanks for straightening me out as I was confused by the photo. Now I know if I see green, I am looking in the wrong direction.

Hi Ian, welcome to EMS.  :)  Yes, if you see green, something is defo wrong.  ;)

Hi Ian a warm welcome to EMS.

Congrats on the scope and I hope it clears a bit for you to get a go with it. :)

Enjoy the forum.