• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Elac meeting this sat 6th July

cosmic dave

Hi guys dont forget we have our monthly elac meeting @ gib point this weekend and at the moment we've got a good warm and clear forecast :rolleyes: this meeting is open to everyone and as always it would be great to see you there....

Sorry won't make this one Dave, away with the caravan to Witney for our Grandson's 4th birthday, but see you during the month at Badger farm I hope!

Cheers

Ron

Sorry won't make this one Dave, away with the caravan to Witney for our Grandson's 4th birthday, but see you during the month at Badger farm I hope!

Cheers

Ron

Badger farm it is then Ron

I`m planning to be at Gib Point on Saturday. Probably arrive 9pm ish.

Assuming no last minute hitch should be OK for Saturday.

Dave & Clare

Looking forward to this one. No work in the morning so a good late one for me. Gona have a go at meteor spotting as well. .

Oh and I want to take a few pics of gear and members for the website. .

Think if I do come I won't be bringing my scope tonight, will be a bins job... Need to force myself to learn some of the summer sky anyway before it goes back into hiding

Edit: Nope

Edited by Tibbz2

Guest @ndyC

I'll be down about 2130 'ish' as I've only just got back from Gib point with the wife and kids after a nice afternoon on the beach. It was breezy when I left but hopefully it will die down for later. The sky's were looking good down there, all blue and no haze.

It was nice to catch up with everyone on Saturday.

The evening started off well with a lovely sunset. Venus was visible naked eye quite early on but the seeing was not up to much, probably due to the heat rising from the ground as it had been a very hot day.

Paul was set up to do some guided imaging and whilst it all looked a little complicated for my liking, it was interesting to go through the process with Paul and see how the other half do things. Cables everywhere. :D  

There was not much visual astronomy done on Saturday evening due to it getting dark so late and to problems with dew and haze, this was caused by the breeze coming straight off the sea. By about 11.30 the scopes were dripping wet.  Although some visual work was done and some familiar targets were enjoyed.

I wanted to try imaging Saturn but the seeing was poor as mentioned and my laptop froze up on me twice. :angry:

The summer milky way through Cygnus was looking nice and bright but we were unable to trace it all the way down in the south as the sky was quite hazy low down. It was a nice evening for sweeping the Milky way with binoculars and that is exactly what one or two of us did.

I managed to capture an image of M27 The Dumbell Nebula. I had never imaged it before and was reasonably happy with the result but what suprised me the most is how many orange stars are in that area of the sky.

By about 2am only myself and Paul were still there so we decided to call it a night. Whilst it was not the most successful night we have had at Gibraltar Point, due to haze and dew, it was none the less enjoyable as always and i am looking forward to our meeting next weekend at Badger Farm. 

Hope to see you there!

Thanks for the report Mark, sounded like a good evening despite the conditions!

It Was Tobias, was you busy? Will you be coming to Badger Farm?

I was too tired from the Friday I'm afraid (still am!) :(

Not sure about this week, but I will hopefully make it to the August meet

Good report Mark, how many turned up? Clear where I was and at 1am the Milky stretched from one horizon to the other! No scope only bins and quite a bit of LP but worth going out to look at!

Looking forward to Saturday night as well, what time we meeting up?

Cheers

Ron

Good report Mark, how many turned up? Clear where I was and at 1am the Milky stretched from one horizon to the other! No scope only bins and quite a bit of LP but worth going out to look at!

Looking forward to Saturday night as well, what time we meeting up?

Cheers

Ron

Were about 10 of us Ron, Clair and Dave, our Dave, Andy, Paul, me obviously and a new guy with his family, cannot remember his name. :huh:

If the weather is going to be decent then I will probably camp there overnight so would be heading there after lunch time? For the astro I would imagine about 8.30pm to get set up etc. See what Paul and Dave think.

OK, got to leave at a reasonable time as I'm off to Rutland Water for the day with Mick(Doc) and Steve (Ibbo)on Sunday.

See if I can sort out that collimation issue before then, otherwise that's what I'll be doing when I get there  :)

OK, got to leave at a reasonable time as I'm off to Rutland Water for the day with Mick(Doc) and Steve (Ibbo)on Sunday.

See if I can sort out that collimation issue before then, otherwise that's what I'll be doing when I get there  :)

We can help you sort your collimation issue at Badger Farm Ron if you do not have it sorted before hand. It does get dark quite late so a reasonable time might be before it is fully dark?