• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What set-up to go for?

Guest Fluke

Guest Fluke

Ok so the big Dob has gone and I need to start looking for my first astrophotography set-up.

I have a budget of £1000-1500 which I know is modest but I've got to start somewhere :)

I've already got the Canon 1100d to get me going, just need a scope & mount and don't mind going down the second hand route if I can get more bang for my buck.

Only other proviso is that the gear is lighter than my old 300p Dob.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks, Dan :)

Guest Kheldar

Heq5 / Skywatcher ed80 / Skywatcher st80 (guide scope) / QHY5 (guide camera)

Modest outlay (even new) and great starting setup

Edited by Kheldar

Guest ollypenrice

Heq5 / Skywatcher ed80 / Skywatcher st80 (guide scope) / QHY5 (guide camera) Modest outlay (even new) and great starting setup

This is good advice. Most argue that the NEQ6 is more future proofed but the argument against that is that you might get fed up with the weight and give up in the future!! The ED 80 will need the flatttener reducer. But it punches harder per pound than any refractor in history. When you become an addict the HEQ5 will be fine with your new Takahashi FSQ85 (Oh yessss!!!!!!) but your 'stage 2' upgrade should be to mono CCD.

Olly

I agree with Stephen and Olly- this ticks all the boxes and falls well within budget leaving a bit over for the side by side bar and a few extras. You'll get some great pics - can't go wrong really. :)

I`m almost tempted my self...........

(Did I really just say that.......... :frantic:     :facepalm:      )

I`m almost tempted my self...........

(Did I really just say that.......... :frantic:     :facepalm:      )

:ladyshock:  :ladyshock:  :ladyshock:  :ladyshock:  :ladyshock:  :frantic:

Guest Fluke

Has anyone got the suggested setup or similar that I can have a look at, and you can talk me through before I start spending? :)

I have similar except it's Meg72 (instead of ED80) and instead of QHY5 I have an SPC900NC. There's not a lot to look at really if you've seen a mount, a scope, and a camera before - but you'd be very welcome to drop over and have a cuppa and an natter over the gear. :)

Guest Kheldar

I've owned that set up but have evolved up from there - you won't get a better scope in that price bracket for imaging

Edited by Kheldar

I have the ED80 and Sheila's NEQ6 which is close-ish to a HEQ5 except a bit bigger. I guide with the finderscope though and a spc900.

Sound advice here. Since I got my HEQ5 it's all I've used for my ED80 or my Mak180 its perfect. I've held onto the NEQ6 for a possible obsy and when I eventually replace my Quattro

Guest Kheldar

I would stick my neck out and say no - the 80 is the better imaging scope, the 100 is F9 I think

It's a good deal for a visual deviant though :ill::evil:

Edited by Kheldar

Guest Fluke

Thanks Stephen, I'll keep my eye out for a ED80 then.

If anyone sees one going please give me a heads up. :)

cosmojaydee on SGL is selling an ED80 for £250 if he's still in the country. You may be able to negotiate him down a bit for a quick sale. Here's the link to the advert but I suggest a pm if you don't have enough posts to read it.

http://stargazerslounge.com/classifieds/item/2049-skywatcher-ed80-ds-pro/

"Due to me leaving the country , I am selling a Skywatcher ED80 DS Pro ,as new within the last 12 mths , boxed
buyer to collect from the WN2  area

Total 250.00 to go before Monday  pm me for more info"

Alternatively Keiran is selling a very nice WO GT81 limited edition for £600 - it's sticking a bit so again prime candidate for a bit of discount haggling lol. :)

(He's also got an HEQ5 Pro Synscan for £500)