• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What set-up to go for?

Guest Fluke

Guest Fluke

For future reference are the Skywatcher & Celestron ED80's essentially the same? If so, which is deemed to have th better build quality?

Guest Kheldar

For future reference are the Skywatcher & Celestron ED80's essentially the same? If so, which is deemed to have th better build quality?

Yes and the Celestron

Guest Fluke

Just seen a William Optics 66mm SD Doublet Apo for sale on stargazers lounge.

Would this be a better imaging starter scope compared to the Skywatcher ED80?

Guest Kheldar

Cheers Stephen lol

Sorry bit short there wasn't I :lol:

Problems I see are ....

• Generally the WO doublets have much worse colour correction (Meg72 is beaten by ED80 for example)

Short focal length (388mm + DSLR = HUGE FOV ...)

Edited by Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

Sorry I know nothing about them, but the price difference will be down to the faster focal ratio and I suspect better quality glass in the more expensive one

Guest Kheldar

One's an appo with FPL53 flourite glass - the other is achromatic. :)

Debatable - no doublet (especially one at f6) can really be an apo can it? (I know it's sold as such but that's not the point! :lol:)

Then again I think the ED80 is sold as an apo in certain places so retailers licence to call them what they want I guess ...

Guest Fluke

I was on the ball with that one Stephen expressing my wish to buy only a few minutes after he placed the advert.

It turns out he doesn't want to sell it after all! Grrrrrr!

Guest Fluke

After withdrawing the scope earlier in the week bacause he was having second thoughts about selling it, the cheeky so and so has now relisted at £85 more than the original ad price. What a git!

Some do that if the get a lot if calls they assume they priced it too low rather than competitively ;)

Edited by Teslar