• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

National Space Centre

dawson

I'm trying to find something fun / informative to do over the summer, astro-related.

Is the National Space Centre in Leicester any good for an 'adult'? I say 'adult' as my knowledge and understanding of the science behind astronomy is minimal, and also because I might drag Tibbz and Leigh along for moral support and they are both either legally (or effectively) children :)

We could make it an EMS outing if others wanted to come along.

If the National Space Centre wasn't appropriate, does anyone have any other ideas?

James

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Tibbz2

• Perkil8r

• catman161

I took the kids to the National Space Centre a couple of years ago, and I had at least as much fun as they did :)

I've not been to Jodrell Bank for a few years now, but that is always a good day out. If you go to Jodrell, have a walk round the arboretum, it has trees from all over the world.

Cheek! We need an adult to keep an eye on you lot :)

It's okay, I'm paid to look after kids ;):lol:

Well tibbz, find out what sort of days the leicester place is open and times and if we'd need to book. Are there trains from boston to leicester? I'm sure one of us could pick you up from leicester station, or loughborough, or nottingham, which ever worked best. Tuesdays, and saturdays are probably best for me, then mondays or Thursdays; wednesday and fridays are my hardest days to skive off work.

Jd

And sunday i'm in church all day, not! I got banned from church for necking all the vino. Sundays are ok for me too.

I'm up for a trip to the space centre, very local for me and I haven't been! Weekends best for me. Although I don't have a free one now until 31st August! For leavin do's and weddings an skydive boogies coming outta my ears!

Basics: £13 for an adult, open every day from now till sept.

Jodrell Bank also open every day, £7 per adult

Edited by Perkil8r

Prices are £13.00 for adults, and £11.00 for you James ;) Actually funnily enough I can get in for the childrens price! :lol:

Saturday 13th July to Sunday 1st September, open every day 10am - 5pm.

Edit: Beaten :(

Edited by Tibbz2

We could do both.

We just need to decide the best time to go.

I'd be tempted to pick a weekday as there might be marginally fewer people, but this might prevent some people from coming like Felix.

Mike, tibbz, what days suit you now until september?

Jd

There are a few weekends I can't do, but other than that with enough notice I can do any time. I'm busy on 4,5,6th Aug, and the weekend around the 17th, that much I do know.

I would prefer a weekday as I suspect it might be less busy and I can't really stand people.

Right I could do:

Thursday 25th July (would need warning ASAP to swap something)

Saturday 27th July

Monday 29th July

Tuesday 30th July

Saturday 3rd August

Thursday 8th August

Monday 12th August

Tuesday 13th August

Tuesday 20th August

Saturday 24th August

Monday 26th August

Tuesday 27th August

Saturday 31st August

James

Edited by dawson

I would prefer a weekday as I suspect it might be less busy and I can't really stand people.

Classic thing to write on a forum where one of the main things is to be "sociable".

PMSL.

;)

Guest devil74

Yes J you are so unsociable..maybe you could offer your services to NASA..their looking for a monkey to send to Mars...you said you cant stand people? ?

Guest Steve

I was at the National Space Centre on Friday. Attended a Masterclass for my daughter's upcoming Space Engineering course at Loughborough college combined with the Space Centre.

A lot of interesting stuff for adults as well as kids.

The Sir Patrick Moore cinema inside does amazing immersive movies on a domed ceiling - worth going just for those.

Get down there - it's cool!