• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

National Space Centre

dawson

Yup - it's a smashing visit - we went a couple of years ago and there's loads for kids and adults to see and do. The shows in the theatre cost a couple of quid on top of the entrance fee - they tend to be a bit basic though cos they're aimed mostly at newbies, kids and general public. Still an overall very interesting place to visit - If available on the day we'd be up for it. :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Tibbz2

• Perkil8r

• catman161

We are just waiting for a few people to advose us of their availability then tibbz will announce the date.

I can do:

Thursday 8th August

Tuesday 20th August

Saturday 24th August

Monday 26th August

Saturday 31st August

Gert will be in attendance too.

Astrodamian is going to check at work tomorrow. I've messaged leigh too, so we should be able to fix the date in the next day or so.

Jd

:)

Will we have to get into pair and have a register? I'm easily distracted by cakes, and might get separated from the group.

I can do sat 31st August and that's it as I'm either at skydiving competitions or weddings until then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

skydiving competitions

?? I'm intrigued.

Please forgive my ignorance, but all I can imagine is that you all jump out together and either the first or last man down wins. :unsure:  :) 

?? I'm intrigued.

Please forgive my ignorance, but all I can imagine is that you all jump out together and either the first or last man down wins. :unsure::)

If only it were that simple pete :)

There are lots of different types of competition in skydiving. I do 4-way. Basically we all jump out together and have to make a predefined set of shapes with our body's by taking grips on each others legs or arms as many times as we can in 35 seconds. For each successful shape made we score one point. The team with the most points after 5 jumps wins :) the pic below shows the random dive pool shapes that are used in competition. Then there is "Blocks" these are moveable shapes! Basically you split into two pairs in your 4 way formation and you each "fly" your partner to the next position where they take the grip(s) of their opposite. It's fast paced, fun an extremely satisfying.  Heres a link to some 4 way competition I did a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyUMQx3xAcs

ebeby5e5.jpg

Edited by catman161

If only it were that simple pete :)

I see what you mean :) .

Thanks for explaining that Felix.

Your video is breathtaking.

It only showed in your quoted text, can't see it in your post, so I put the link below in case anyone else can't see it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyUMQx3xAcs

It is nice to learn new stuff.

No problem :) thanks for re-doing the link. That video was back when I had just 25 jumps. I have 154 now. I should have more but I had a very 2012 what with gettin married and all that entails then immediately post honeymoon I herniated the discs in my back so I only did 8 jumps for the whole of that year. I have done 13 in the last 3 weeks alone so I am making up for lost time. In currently learning how to fly (safely) on my back which is proving rather difficult!

avagu8a5.jpg

Edited by catman161

Awesome stuff, Felix.

I'll stick to looking at the view through an aircraft window and leave out the adrenaline rush. :)

Wouldn't catch me holding hands with men - never mind whilst plunging towards Earth at terminal velocity lol :)

Keep me posted when you decide to do the Space Center and I'll see if I can make it.

Tibbz, this is astrodamians dates preferences:

"my best dates would be tuesday 20th or monday 26th..preferably 20th"

I've cut out the obscenities for the sake of the faint hearted :)

Jd

154 jumps! That must be an awesome 'sport' to take part in!

It is awesome :)

Wouldn't catch me holding hands with men - never mind whilst plunging towards Earth at terminal velocity lol :)

Lots of women skydive too Kim ;)

Well at least we have 2 dates to choose from so far :) My preference is also the 20th

That's us Monday to Friday workers out then :( Come on Kim, we'll start our own weekend visit party-don't worry we won't have to hold hands ha ha ha! :DSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Edited by catman161

It is awesome :)

Lots of women skydive too Kim ;)

That's us Monday to Friday workers out then :( Come on Kim, we'll start our own weekend visit party-don't worry we won't have to hold hands ha ha ha! :DSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You could always book a day off work, but that's if you have any holidays left and if they will allow it!

You could always book a day off work, but that's if you have any holidays left and if they will allow it!

Company are not keen on random single days and I am very new to the company so am very much towing the line with regards to anything HR/Policy driven, be that written or verbal. So weekdays are out unless I off for a weeks annual leave in which case it would be unlikely I would be in the country anyway :)

Guest devil74

Felix am loving the skydiving...totally in awe of you for that. I've said lots of times that its one thing i have to before i drop. I would be pooing my pants but sure i could overcome that. 

Felix am loving the skydiving...totally in awe of you for that. I've said lots of times that its one thing i have to before i drop. I would be pooing my pants but sure i could overcome that.

If you want to do a tandem I'd be happy to make the arrangements for you at my club. Normally they cost £230 for the jump but if I arrange for you you get it for £200. If you want a DVD and stills that is £95. Unfortunately can't get a discount on the video package. Highly recommend everyone doing it at least once and getting the video as then you can relive it over and over :)

I'd pay £200 to be strapped to Felix for 60 seconds!

Where do I sign up?

;)