• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Olly Penrice says Hi.

Guest ollypenrice

Guest ollypenrice

Hi All,

There are at least two good reasons for not acceping me on this forum! One, I now live in the south of Fance and not Wirksworth, Derbyshire - nor do I any longer teach English in Sutton in Ashfield, though I did so for 23 years. Two, I'm 'in the trade' as an astronomy holiday provider so I am keen not to violate any rules regarding publicity etc. If my presence is inappropriate for either of these reasons then I will bow out gracefully. And then, thirdly, I might quote Groucho Marx and say, 'I wouldn't care to belong to any club or society which would accept me as a member...' :D

OK, I'm first and foremost an imager these days, though I was originally not keen on the dark side at all. I studied astronomy for seven years part time via the UCLAN/Liverpool John Moores/Jodrell Bank consortium. I write the odd featue for Astronomy Now and am of an age which allows me to make an exciting discovery now and then again in six months when I've forgotten it again!

Toys include Tak FSQ85ED, TEC 140, 20 inch Dob, EM200 and two EQ sixes, 10 inch SCT and the mighty ODK14/Mesu 2 friction drive/H36. The last lot isn't mine but belongs to Yves Van den Broek, though I operate it here on his and our behalf. In house cameras are Atik 4000s, mono and colour. Oh, and I've a Lunt 60mm solarscope for daylight hours.

Hi to any WOLAS memebers who might have been there at the time I was living in Wirksworth.

Cheers,

Olly

Hi Olly, good to have you board. I have seen some of the pictures you produce and they are wonderful. Think it may be a bit far for you to come to one of our meets but you never know......;)

Edited by Daz type-r

Hi Olly,

A warm welcome to EMS.

Although you don't live in the East Midlands, it doesn't matter, all are welcome.

You might want to explore being registered as a trader, and would then be welcome to promote your business here.

It's a shame you don't live local, as Iam sure you would be a a very popular chap with the 20" dob down the dark sites. Ahh well.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Hello Olly may I welcome you to EMS, I'm really pleased you have decided to join us, your expertise in many areas of this hobby is very welcome.

Welcome olly, you won't belive this but I was looking at your website this morning, looks very interesting place to visit. Hopefully i will come over one day.

Cracking idea Martyn. If Olly does register as a trader, then at least we will have a first point of call for any astro holidays.

Don't be daft Olly - we'd never turn you away - and as an ex-east mids bloke you have an honourary place with us anyway - just been waiting for you to fill it lol.

Honoured to have you on board mate and I do hope you enjoy our small offering to the astro community. A big Welcome from me :)

Guest Bryndalf

Welcome Olly, there are few rules here, the main one is to have fun and join in :)

I suspect there might be a bit of work coming your way (well visitors ;) )

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Olly,

Welcome to EMS, just don't tell us how warm it is or tell us how nice the last bottle of red was :). Its great to get someone of your experience on board.

A votre sante.

Edited by Tweedledum

Guest NadeemShah

Nice to see you here Olly, now you can tantalise us with your images here...

Nadeem.

Edited by NadeemShah

Ayup Olly, your still an East Midlander no matter where you live so long as you keep the accent :)

Welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing some of your beuatiful images on here

Phil

Hi Olly,

I will advertise on your behalf for a sec... I am told by a little birdie on the forums that you run stargazing holidays and your wife (?) artistic holidays? Can you tell us more? :D

A warm welcome to EMS. :)

What are the skies like in France?

Hi Olly and welcome, I've mentioned your gaff to my wife for a holiday and she was un-nervingly enthusiastic. what's this I hear about artistic stuff?

Guest BigTfromNotts

Hi Olly,

Welcome to EMS.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your images on here. Have visited your website a good few times, and hopefully in the not too distant future, I will get the opportunity to have a holiday at your place.

Cheers

Tony

Guest ollypenrice

Wow, a big thanks to all for the friendly welcome. I'll look into registering as a trader in a sec but, to answer Craig's question, I found a site in SE France which is very good from the point of view of running an astronomy guest house, which I now do. We get about 250 to 300 clear nights a year (but please note that the inverse means we get 50 to 100 that aren't, so honesty means that I point this out.) The zenith is Mag 7 according to the best young eyes that come here and the SQM usually gives 21.6 or 21.7.

Some of you know my images, it seems. Well, I don't own or use any kind of LP filters and most images, from the mono camera at least, are gradient free from birth. The OSC creates a slight gradient of its own. Although high (900 metres/3000 feet) we have slightly elevated horizons which are excellent baffles against distant LP and future proof us since nothing between us and the horizons could be built on. You'd be surprized how hard it was to find the right house, acutally. I spent 2 years looking, on and off.

Ours is an all-picture household since Monique, my French wife, is a painter by profession, currently with an exhition in London. She offers tuition to our guests if they're interested.

So there we go. Now, let's see how I regiser as a trader...

Olly

I sooooo need a holiday in your place, just gonna ask the wife how she feels about a holiday in SE France then leave it a bit before I hit her with it's a star gazeing holiday......