• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

what astrophotography book for beginner?

Guest memento2me

Guest memento2me

hello,

i am looking for good dslr astrophotography book for beginner. i want to know how to make nice pictures of moon night sky, sun, planets, dso's, comets, copnstellations etc. what settings best for particular object what accessories to use to make the best results. i was trying to google it but found only old books or for ccd cameras. any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Guest ben72

your best bet is to check out you tube. lots of tutorials and tips from settings to processing.

works for me.. :thumbsup:

or just ask, lots of helpful peeps here too.

Edited by ben72

I've got this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0521700817/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1374336571&sr=8-1-spellπ=AC_SX110_SY190

And it's pretty good. It explains lots of the basics. You'd probably only read it once, so see if you can borrow it from your local library (there might be a small charge for requesting an odd book from a larger library, but it will be a fraction of the cost of the book); then if you fall in love with it, buy a copy.

If you are near notringham you are welcome to borrow mine as long as you send it back; i'm a book hoarder :)

Once you know the basics, it's just a case of playing around, and then once you've got the hang of things, you'd start to learn things from the forums and your astro-mates.

It's worthwhile, as with most things related to astro kit, to have a play around in the day light and get used to the set up and he practicality of using and balancing your kit with a dslr attached, and potentially any wires, and identifying pitfalls and working out solutions in daylight.

I'd also recommend making mates with someone who already does this; maybe take your kit to theirs one day (day or night), and see how they do stuff and get them to help you learn too.

Exciting times!

I look forward to the results.

James

Guest peepshow

I joined this forum recently and have spent many happy hours searching it,

and learning much.

I search for a variety of words and much comes up.

I hope that I won't be thrown off this forum  :o  by suggesting  that there are some

other UK astro forums one can search and, if you have a lifetime to spare,

many international ones too. 

You will even find references to good books to read.

Good luck, Dainius, on your learning curve, and I bet you soon overtake me on mine. :)

You won't be thrown off for mentioning other forums. We are not in competitions with other forums, we operate alongside them. Not only does EMS have some top notch individuals from most areas of astronomy who can offer advice and help, we also are small enough to be a bit more personal and potentially less imposing. Also, as many of us are geographically close, many have met at astro events, and even socially; i often get a pesky visitor from ilkeston coming over for a cup of tea and to ask me to dance in the monkey suit :)

I've posted several things on The star gazers lounge (SGL). What's useful is to feed back to EMS anything ground breaking they say about this topic, as it's time consuming as you say to check all the various forums

James

Guest peepshow
;........... and to ask me to dance in the monkey suit :)

James, did you play a small  part at the start of Stanley Kubrick's film, " 2001, A Space Odyssey ? "  :lol:

I've got the film on dvd, but not watched it; I saw it mid way throgh for a few minutes years ago and was fascinated by it. I should watch it, maybe tonight. I'm sure the joke will make sense then to me :)

Guest memento2me

thanks James for the link. i might buy it 2nd hand. i have found a cd book about astrophotography. what do you think of it? does anyone have or had it? would like to buy it but its a bit pricey so would like to know if its worth the money.

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/a-beginners-guide-to-dslr-astrophotography-by-jerry-lodriguss.htm

thank you all for your help.

I've not seen that one before. I'm game for a laugh with amazon market place for books that are 1p (usually £2.80 p&p), but for £35 i think i'd want to see what was in it first. Again, you could probably get your local library to do an interlibrary loan of it for a small fee. Someone may come along who has seen it or used it. See ifbyou can track down any reviews elsewhere, like amazon or maybe by searching google and seei is one of the astro journals reviewed it.

Or, see if it's part of google books where there might be images of some pages.

James

Guest Fluke

I would have a look at "Every Photon Counts", this seems to be a very informative book.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

I'm reading 'Making Every Photon Count' at the mo and can't fault it as a beginners guide. It is predominantly written as a guide to DSO's with a few references to planetary / lunar astrophotography thrown in for good measure.