• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Guest Stuart

Guest Stuart

Hi, I have been trying to find out information about the society and this forum seems to be the only presence on the net I can find. I am a complete novice but am looking to find out more. Can anyone tell me about the society - meetings etc etc? 

We are an internet group not a formal society.

We have 2 dark sites that we visit regularly when weather permits.  One near Belper the other in Wymeswold.

When there is a meet you frist visit is free so you can meet some folks etc.  After that darksite membership is £20 per year.

The forum is free and you will find lots of advice just ask

Welcome

Sheila

Hi Stuart and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

I think you may be confusing us with Leicester Astronomy Society who are based at the Space Center. They don't have meetings in the height of summer due to "seeing" conditions - they recommence around end of Aug / start of Sept. Some of our members are also members there.

For full details contact Dr Ann Bonell who runs Leicester Astro Soc - details here: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Details.aspx?ClubId=25

Meantime - you'd be very welcome to visit an EMS meeting if you enjoy group observing. We are a friendly and fun crowd who get out there with scopes as much as possible when weather allows. Keep an eye on the Info and Announcements section for upcoming meetings. If you fancy a get together for an "astro natter" you be welcome to pop up to Groby and visit me - just drop me a pm and we'll arrange it.

Enjoy the forum :)

Hi Stuart and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

I think you may be confusing us with Leicester Astronomy Society who are based at the Space Center. They don't have meetings in the height of summer due to "seeing" conditions - they recommence around end of Aug / start of Sept. Some of our members are also members there.

For full details contact Dr Ann Bonell who runs Leicester Astro Soc - details here: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Details.aspx?ClubId=25

Meantime - you'd be very welcome to visit an EMS meeting if you enjoy group observing. We are a friendly and fun crowd who get out there with scopes as much as possible when weather allows. Keep an eye on the Info and Announcements section for upcoming meetings. If you fancy a get together for an "astro natter" you be welcome to pop up to Groby and visit me - just drop me a pm and we'll arrange it.

Enjoy the forum :)

Kim, does Stuart not need 10 posts before he can use the PM? or has this been changed

Sheila

Yes he does. I'll pm you Stuart - should be able to read personal messages at least - let me know here if you can't see it. :)

Nope that doesn't work either - I'll put my number here for a limited time.

Seems most societies don't do much in the way of group observation meetings, that's what brought me here. I'm a member of a local society which is great for info and meets but they don't have group session like we do. And to be honest some of the societies can be a bit high brow for nubies, and it can be hard to be accepted when they expect you to know things already. We just have a laugh, doesn't matter what experience or knowledge you have, some one will always help out if they can. Hope you can make it to one of our observing sessions, good luck.

Edited by tuckstar

Guest Stuart

Many thanks for all your responses - I have made contact with Kim who has kindly offered to give me an intro to telescopes and observing.

Hi Stuart, a warm welcome to EMS.

Feel free to ask any questions you have on here. Other than there are members local to you, anything you need just shout, someone will be along with good advice.

You would be very welcome to attend our meets, as mentioned at Wymeswold and Belper, just keep your eyes on the Announcements and info section. Iam sure you would be invited to have a look through some scopes, and that may help with selecting what you might be able to purchase.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Guest devil74

A bit belated...but Hi Stuart and welcome to EMS. A great bunch on here so dont feel silly about asking questions etc, just fire away. 

Guest Charlotte

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the group and Im looking for help - - my partner bought m a very nice telescope and some  kit so I can view through my laptop...bless him, I think he's given me more credit than I deserve. He has to set the telescope up for me and I cannot get the techno stuff working at all.

We're  looking for both online chats and a 'meet up' group - have I found the right place? What is a 'dark site'? (Is it a closed forum?)

How do we find meet dates? Are we welcome to just tootle along and join in? Where are the meetings? What is the space centre group? Is It part of this group?

We live near Glenfield...is this local enough to the meetings?

Thanks

:)

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the group and Im looking for help - - my partner bought m a very nice telescope and some kit so I can view through my laptop...bless him, I think he's given me more credit than I deserve. He has to set the telescope up for me and I cannot get the techno stuff working at all.

We're looking for both online chats and a 'meet up' group - have I found the right place? What is a 'dark site'? (Is it a closed forum?)

How do we find meet dates? Are we welcome to just tootle along and join in? Where are the meetings? What is the space centre group? Is It part of this group?

We live near Glenfield...is this local enough to the meetings?

Thanks. :-)

Hi, welcome along, shelias post should cover it all. There are other members near you.

Were a very relaxed bunch with very different experience in all kinds of astro stuff.

Sounds like you have jumped in with both feet. Feel free to ask anything, no question too silly, but bear in mind the answer is probably already on here some where.

Start by saying hello in the welcome forum and most will say hi.

By the way the dark sites are exactly that!!! Some where there is as little light pollution as possible, hence why they are out in the sticks.

The Leicester astronomical society is nothing to do with EMS but a few people are members of both, and they have a section on here for announcements as do several local societies, but EMS is not a society just a dedicated group.

What scope do you have?

Edited by tuckstar

Hi Charlotte and a warm welcome to EMS to you and your partner. :)

Yup you're in the right place - we're a web based local group covering Leicester, Derby, Nottingham and Lincolnshire. We try to get out with our scopes as often as possible when weather allows, and we welcome all folks whatever their experience level. You'll find us very friendly and helpful - especially for newbies to the hobby.

We have dark sites at Belper and Wymeswold and you'd be very welcome to drop in to a meeting and see if you like the site and the group. Check the Info and Announcements section for the next meeting. As mentioned some of us are members of Leics Astro Soc as well, but EMS is relatively new compared to the LAS'ers who've been running over 50yrs now.

Do leave an intro in the Welcome Section and you'll get more "Hi's" from the guys - meantime enjoy the forum and feel free to ask any questions in the Beginners Section (if you mention your gear it'll be easier/quicker to get answers). :)