• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Counter weight.

Daz Type-R

Hi all.

Where is the best place to get some counter weights from for my OTA?

With all the stuff I have on my scope, putting Kim's Hyperion Zoom on it finaly tipped it over the edge, so need to balance it out (as I'm now after one).

Cheers all.

On Saturday night somebody mentioned you can get some bendy bar magnets (or something similar), I was thinking along those lines but looking for some advice as well as I have no idea!

Edited by Daz type-r

I use a magnet salvaged from a duff 12"loudspeaker, covered in flocking material to stop it scratching the OTA

If you know anyone working in PC support who can get hold of broken hard drives, they have very strong magnets inside them. Then if your tube is steel you can stick a half kg cast iron gym weight anywhere on the tube. Old speakers have some good magnets in them too.

I have a couple of big magnets, wrapped loads of times in duct tape, and then covered with a sticky back felt.

I had to glue a bit of rubber on the base though, as it kept sliding down the tube when it got a bit dewy.

These are easy to adjust depending on what eyepiece you put in.

Even with two of them on it wouldn't cope with Ibbo's 28mm Uwan, which if I remember correctly weigh about a kilo. :o

Cheers for the replys guys. Going to see if I can source some round magnets and attach them to the plate at the back of the primary. That way they are not on the "outside" of the OTA and will not scratch the paint.

Cheers Martyn, that should do the trick, will have a look at getting that soon. Just need to find out how much the Baader Hyperion Zoom weighs?

Also, will take you up on that offer if thats ok?

Cheers,

Daz.

• 5 months later...

Hi all.

Resurecting this again as I now have a serious weight issue up the visual end of the OTA.

I am going to be ordering one of these soon....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Vehicle-MagPad1-super-strong-magnet-roof-signs-taxi-driving-school-/130694626330?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item1e6e01bc1a

as recommended above (Martyn also said he would make me some more weights) but I have a question.

I beleive that the 200P no longer ships with a back plate, so what I thought might be a back plate is in fact the back of the mirror cell.

While I cant be sure what I am looking at (will post a picture later when I get home) am I right in assuming that I shouldn't really attach a weight like this to the mirror cell or does anybody know if I am talking rubbish.

I`m hoping the picture of the back of my OTA that I will put up later will explain all.

Cheers chaps.

While I'm no expert here I don't think sticking a weight to the mirror would be a good idea. It's bound to make collimation a nightmare and affect the mirror it's self. If overtighting the screws which hold the cell can cause diffraction patterns I dread to think what a weight hanging on the back would do as the mount slews and the scope changes position

Here is the photo guys of the back of my 200P, is this the back of the mirror cell or is it a backing plate?

And can I attach the above weight to it?

Looks like the mirror from here Darren. I wouldn't attache anything to that - I'd mount it on the tube. But it's difficult to tell from the pic. Does it move when you collimate? If so it's gotta be the mirror for sure. :)

That's the mirror for sure, looks exactly like mine without the cover on. The three threaded holes just clockwise of the colimation screws are the ones that hold the original plate in place on mine.

Ahhhh, so it was right then when I read a few years ago the started shipping them without the covers - what a pain in the a**e!

Can you wap some photos up, with the cover on and off and some measurements if you dont mind and I may get Graham to knock me one up.

The cover just fits inside the step, it's perfectly round and approx 1.5mm thick with the 3 holes in it to take the 3 screws. Mine may be slightly different in size since mine is the Explorer? Just measure inside the lip to get the dia, then how far from the inside of the lip to the centre of the holes. I'm pretty sure that's all Graham will need to be able to knock one up for you ;)