• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Setting Circle mod for dob bases.

Daz Type-R

Hi Mike. Welcome aboard.

Perkil8r unfortunately can't get them any more. But I know someone else was trying and I have a pattern for one your welcome to have if you think you can get one made up.

Post a hello in the welcome section and ask away.

Guest zidder

I looked into getting a circle printed up, they came out quite expensive for one off £45.00 the only way to get them at a reasonable price was to have 10 off.

If you're still wanting one Gary, then with Mike wanting one too I would only need one more to make it worth while. In which case the cost would be approx £20 to each one.

If you're still wanting one Gary, then with Mike wanting one too I would only need one more to make it worth while. In which case the cost would be approx £20 to each one.

Mr Perkil8r, Mike here, I know another guy who could be interested, he has a 12" Orion dob but it could be a week before I see him up at our local Obs. I'll be back in touch after I have seen the guy. again thanks Mr P

Mike  

No worries. If he does want one, do me a small favor as I haven't actually measured an Orion dob, get the outside diameter of the base for me, that way we can make sure I get the right sizes off the bat.

• 4 weeks later...

No worries. If he does want one, do me a small favor as I haven't actually measured an Orion dob, get the outside diameter of the base for me, that way we can make sure I get the right sizes off the bat.

Mr Perkil8r, I replied to the above one day last week stating the guy does not want any setting circles, so we are back to two people. I asked how much would it cost for two setting circles to be made. I suppose that request may take some time.  

Osborne

Guest zidder

While I was at Mpole last week I was speaking to someone about this, he said he might get one for his dob. Unfortunately I cant remember who it was, he may respond to this

I didn't see any reply so apologies for that. I could probably get them down to £25 each for 2 off. It is the shipping that kills it really, they have a minimum shipping cost that is not far off the cost of the bloomin' things themselves at anything less than 3.

While I was at Mpole last week I was speaking to someone about this, he said he might get one for his dob. Unfortunately I cant remember who it was, he may respond to this

If we can get another one it will bring the cost down. I did consider setting up to sell these before, the only problem being the number of them I would need to buy in order to have the size everybody wanted. Just the same as any retail business really, stock is like dead money until it sells and sadly without stock you can't sell it :lol:

Okay so we have Steve wanting 1 x 12", Mike: You want a 10" yes? Which scope is it, skywatcher?

Gary, are you still wanting one then? if so what size and scope was it for?

Guest zidder

Okay so we have Steve wanting 1 x 12", Mike: You want a 10" yes? Which scope is it, skywatcher?

Gary, are you still wanting one then? if so what size and scope was it for?

Yes Mike I will have one, scope is 10" skywatcher Dob not sure of the size at the mo will check

Guest Opamp

Hi everybody, I am a new member on this site but have been following the blogs for several months. I was particularly interested in the article about setting circles. Since I have just purchased my first scope, ( SW 250 flex Dob ), I also would like to fit a setting circle to it.

Afternoon Mr perkil8r,

Mike here, Looking at the replies to the setting circles we now have 4 folk wanting one

zidder wants a 10" for a sky-watcher

Ibbo " 12" no moddle yet

Opamp " 10" "

Mike " 10" Meade Sky liner 22" diam base (me)

Excellent progress I can pick my setting circle up form Derby as and when its ready I will also pay for it then unless Mr P you need it earlier.

Mike