• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

August meeting sat 10th persied watch

cosmic dave

Just a quick reminder elac's August meeting isn't at Gibraltar Point we are holding it at badger farm which is in the middle of the wolds (can someone pls post directions) its a lovely dark site location and does have a toilet block but is very basic. This meeting is our annual persied meteorwatch night and we could theoretically see 80+ shooting stars an hour. Hope you can make it. :D

Ps bring your sun lounger and a blanket.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• oldfruit

• Tibbz2

• RonC

Really looking forward to this as my Astronomy time has been zero for the past month or more as i have been too busy with work and family.. Hope it is clear and we can see some Perseids and do some observing inbetween.

Forecast not looking to good mark :o

The MET is showing some cloud but it's a bit early, and they haven't even been able to predict a day in advance so far this past week! Not all hope is lost 

The MET (Make Estimates Terribly) office changes their mind from one day to the next. We have been here before. Poor forecast early on but gets better as the week goes on. And to think they get paid for getting it so wrong! I wonder if they receive performance related bonuses. :D

Edited by oldfruit

:lol:

I'm still in 2 minds whether to take the scope, there is quite a bit of astro dark but I don't know how long I can actually stop so it might not be worth taking it if I can't stop until like 2am

Astro dark stops at 02.55 anyway on Saturday.

Just take the scope, if you get distracted by meteors you don't have to use it, but if the meteors are dull you can bash off some more DSOs. Win win.

I'm going to be at Baz's BBQ, but I hope it is a wonderful night for you all. I'm hoping to do some meteor watching on the Sunday night weather permitting; not sure where I'm going to do it though.

James

Scope Nights app, gives Friday-Good, Sunday-Good but Saturday-Poor! Lets hope it's wrong!! :nonono:

Scope Nights app, gives Friday-Good, Sunday-Good but Saturday-Poor! Lets hope it's wrong!! :nonono:

Same with the BBC!

Plenty of time for it to change though, I might get worried if it's still forecasting cloud on Saturday morning!

I may even go on Friday in addition to Saturday to make sure I get at least one clear night observing?

Do you have to book? If not then I'd be up for any clear skies we can get

(Actually do we need to book for Saturday or anything?)

Getting the tow-bar fitted on Friday afternoon, so defo Saturday for me. May sleep in the car as I haven't got the logbook back from the DVLA so I can't get a number plate made for the trailer tent!! But at least in this car I can lay down with a sleeping bag!!

Ron

7Timer for Louth says a bit later, but as long as we get a clear spell sometime that's all that matters?! :)

Guest bob_Garton

Hi All,

Would tonight be a good night for watching the Perseids. It should be clear tonight.

Kind regards

Rob

Castle Donington

Hi Rob, any night over the next week or two would be ok. The reason we are meeting this weekend is that the peak of the Persaids is on the 12th but Perseids can be seen a week or so either side of the peak.

Im working late's tonight so cant make it if you decide to change the night can you let me know please.

I don`t think it is a case of changing the night Dave, i just said that i might do both to ensure that i get at least one clear night. Paul is also only able to go on Saturday. Saturday is still on unless anyone tells me different?

We need to hold a collection at the meeting tonight to pay for the elac website its due for renewal tomorrow. .