• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

August meeting sat 10th persied watch

cosmic dave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• oldfruit

• Tibbz2

• RonC

How much would you need? I'll forget otherwise ^_^

Whatever you want to donate..

According to the met office we have a clear spell between 9 and 11 let's see ??

Not sure whether to bring the scope or just bins and a lounger Dave, do you know what the others are doing?

Not sure whether to bring the scope or just bins and a lounger Dave, do you know what the others are doing?

I don't Ron,  sorry

Cool. It seems a bit hit and miss, but I think it's worth a shot. I'll be down bout 8ish. See ya all later.

The site entrance is at the top of the hill go through the village and look for the side road up the hill to the top.

oh and if anyone has any can they remember to bring insect repellent, It was quite bad with mozzies at gib point last month, BZZZZZZZZZ

Typical, its giving it clear from midnight tomorrow night. Anyone fancy a second crack tomorrow?

Think I might not make it tonight guys as I am still getting over an all nighter last night. We only finished observing at 4am this morning!

If I don`t make it, have a good evening and hope it clears for you.

I wont be down tonight but i hope you all have a good night and it clears up. I was out last night before it clouded over and saw 5 persieds in 30 mins. Dave ill give you some money towards the website next time I see you.

Tonight was looking good early on for the Perseids. Even on the drive up to Badger farm the Moon was visible low down and the clouds appeared to be clearing nicely. Upon arrival at Badger Farm I could see we had a decent turn out and hopes were high. Although this evening was a meteor watch, some folks had also opted to bring their scopes In the hope of doing a bit of observing.  

Unfortunately as it started to get darker the clouds rolled in. We all stayed in the hope that it would clear but the wind was almost non existent and the clouds did not seem to want to budge. It was at this point, around midnightish that some folks decided that it was time to go home.

Unfortunately for them about half hour later the clouds cleared and presented us with a beautiful sky. The Milky Way was bright and almost spanned from one horizon to the other. We then settled down on our sun loungers and began to watch and wait. We saw quite a few meteors tonight. Some Perseids and some sporadics. Some of the Perseids were showing a distinct green colour. Some were very bright and left smoke trails behind them.  As Perseus got higher we saw more Perseids lower down also. They were going through Andromeda, Pegasus, Ursa Major, Ursa Minor, Cygnus, Pisces and many other constellations. What a great show.

It was a great evening with some good company and despite having to wait a couple of hours for the cloud to clear, once it did we were not disappointed.

Yes it was well worth the wait, fantastic night in the end. Also a big thanks for the donations to renew the elac Web pages I will get it sorted this afternoon.

I was one of those who left about 12.00! I stopped about 5 miles South of Horncastle and spent a good 15 mins checking out  the Milky Way which was awesome and 2-3 Persoids as well! Got home 40 mins later to find high cloud but watched a few Persoids from the garden with a brew!!

A good night with good company and a promising ELAC dark site. very enjoyable!  :D

Guest MakkaPakka1

Ye, it was a good night in the end. Saw some nice fireballs too I was tempted to get set up again and tick off some messiers but I underestimated the cold! I thicker jacket and a sun lounger next time. :-).

Here is a widefield of the Milky way through Cygnus. This was taken at Badger

Where ?

Guest MakkaPakka1

Lol you wait til you're up there in February. That's gona be cold.

I might treat myself to a nice warm Berghaus softie :D

Here is a widefield shot of the Milky Way through Cygnus taken on Friday night. It gives an idea of just how good the skies are at Badger Farm