• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I managed to get one

Guest peter shah

Guest peter shah

A single Perseid streaking across the Milky Way over New Bridge in Meifod on the night of August 12. ....It was a good night loads coming in but the camera seemed to always point in the wrong direction....

cheers

Peter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astropix/9499577604/

9499577604_9d62cf8a7b_c.jpg
meteor by peter shah, on Flickr

Edited by peter shah

That's a beautiful photo what I would give for clear skies love the lighting on the bridge too

Guest peter shah

Thanks everyone.....Baz the only lighting I used was a torch to illuminate the bridge the traffic lights  did the rest.

That is amazing.

What kit did you use / filters? How long was the exposure(s).

I don't even dream of capturing images that good!

James

Pretty amazing what effect you have got there, it looks surreal.

I have seen other pic's where people have used flash guns to "paint" with.

Guest peter shah

Thanks everyone

That is amazing.

What kit did you use / filters? How long was the exposure(s).

I don't even dream of capturing images that good!

James

Hi James, I have a Nikon D3s which I set at 8000iso with a 17mm f2.8 lens working at f3.5, It was a mosaic of two frames upper and lower with a very generous over lap, just so I could get the Milky Way extending higher. Exposure was 30 seconds on a fixed tripod....nothing fancy....I have pretty good skies here, but last night the transparency was very good.

Guest i-am-kloot

Thats an awsome photo Peter even if it had no meteor.........the Perseid is the icing on the cake.

Actually, it looks like you have caught 2 there Peter...........looks like a smaller one to the left as well....or is it me eyes?

30 seconds!!!!!!!!! That is uber amazing. And iso 8000, and to think i was worried of noise at iso 1600 :)

I'm coming to wales in early september so i hope i get some clear dark skies like that.

Is the streak definately a meteor? It has a very precise start and end, and it gets less bright in the middle segment, which seems odd. Iridium flares in my experience get brighter in the middle, so i don't think it's that, but could it be a bog standard satellite which was already in frame when the shutter opened, and was still there 30 seconds later when the shutter closed? That would account for the square ends. The few meotor images i've seen have one bright end and the trails are relatively short.

But whatever it is, it's absolutely amazin and i'm totally envious of your sky.

James

Guest peter shah

Thanks again everyone.... Hello James, The D3s is a very high spec camera an superb in low light with very little noise at these ridiculous iso. Its IR/UV cut off filter allows all the important wavelengths though, unlike some of the canon dslr's.... I haven't really used it in anger for  Astro stuff as its my works camera......I see what you you mean, the first thing I can say is I saw it come down it was very bright and fast almost flash like so I'm sure it is, I only saw two others similar but not as bright and further to the North, most of the other ones faded, but having said that I took over 60 odd frames many of the meteors were too faint to register, which was surprising so it needed to be a bright one to show up......unless this was a different frame and the one I saw didn't register...could be possible as It was one of a sequence of shots

Edited by peter shah

Guest peter shah

Thats an awsome photo Peter even if it had no meteor.........the Perseid is the icing on the cake.

Actually, it looks like you have caught 2 there Peter...........looks like a smaller one to the left as well....or is it me eyes?

The one above in the frame is a satellite.

• 4 weeks later...

30 seconds!!!!!!!!! That is uber amazing. And iso 8000, and to think i was worried of noise at iso 1600 :)

I'm coming to wales in early september so i hope i get some clear dark skies like that.

Is the streak definately a meteor? It has a very precise start and end, and it gets less bright in the middle segment, which seems odd. Iridium flares in my experience get brighter in the middle, so i don't think it's that, but could it be a bog standard satellite which was already in frame when the shutter opened, and was still there 30 seconds later when the shutter closed? That would account for the square ends. The few meotor images i've seen have one bright end and the trails are relatively short.

But whatever it is, it's absolutely amazin and i'm totally envious of your sky.

James

You can't really compare iso like that James, as different cameras handle noise differently....

The camera used to take that pic cost around £4700 it's a super low noise machine, in a different leaque really. Max iso 12800 and 12.1 megapixel.

Compared to my 5D mkIII at £3000 also a fantastic low noise machine with a Max iso 25600 and 22.1 megapixel.

It is a fantastic shot Peter, where abouts in wales were you? I watched the recent meteor shower from the base of Snowdon, the views were asolutely incredible.