• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Query what objects are

Sheila

any ideas of what the two trails are by the star in the bottom left.  Not the satellite tracks :lol:

I did 10 360s subs unguided and this was the only one with these whatever they are on.

0f41f2fc-6e77-4939-8e43-f548516e6e7b.jpg

Edited by Sheila

They are too uniform to be two separate objects, I think one is a reflection (or similar) of the other, as to what it is, no idea, doesn't look long enough to be a meteor.

I agree with Mike a reflection of some sort.

The two streaks are a mirror image.

yup but query is what the hek is it?

Guest Kheldar

Refracted light from the star ... something passing in front of scope maybe at terrestrial level?

As you pointed out previously, the star is misshapen too in that image

Edited by Kheldar

Refracted light from the star ... something passing in front of scope maybe at terrestrial level?

As you pointed out previously, the star is misshapen too in that image

yes thats what i find so strange.... it is a pretty small star and there is only that one affected, would have thought terrestrial object would have affected

bigger area as much closer to scope?? i dont know

I reckon it's the lights on the bottom of a plane.

Out side two for the wing tips and middle one for the nose/front undercarriage light.

I reckon it's the lights on the bottom of a plane.

Out side two for the wing tips and middle one for the nose/front undercarriage light.

you could have something there.... i just checked next sub and there are no stars in that area i can see as it is in one of the dark areas :)

Yep its plane lights, ive had loads of em. The 2 short ones between the main trails are the strobe lights

yup as soon as it was mentioned it made sense.....  well at least i know now :)

Excuse my ignorance on this, but is that just one sub of 360 seconds?

If so, then in 360 seconds the two outside lights have moved the distance that you can see, if the middle light is attached to said aeroplane, then would the middle light not also be the same length as the two outside lights?

Guest Kheldar

The solid lines are lights that are always on, the inner ones probably repeaters/flashers ...

Also the difference in intensity on the solid lines adds up as planes have one red and one green I htink on the wings so other planes can tell which way they are flying

Errr, ok.

But I would of thought that in 360 seconds the inner light would flash quite a bit thus producing a line rather than a blurry star.

But will bow to superior knowledge.

red light is on left wing, green on right.  strobe i usually  underneath... depends on aircraft i suppose, larger aircraft can have strobes on wings, some have 2 lights

on each wing.  

Guest Kheldar

Errr, ok.

But I would of thought that in 360 seconds the inner light would flash quite a bit thus producing a line rather than a blurry star.

But will bow to superior knowledge.

The plane probably covered that FOV in 5 seconds flat ... it was not in the FOV for the whole of the shot

Guest Kheldar

red light is on left wing, green on right.  strobe i usually  underneath... depends on aircraft i suppose, larger aircraft can have strobes on wings, some have 2 lights

on each wing.  

Had it been OSC it would have been obvious :facepalm:

Sorry, this is nagging me, if the plane covered the fov in 5 seconds say, then if the lights on the outside are always on, then would you not expect the outside lights to be all the way across the shot?

yup and i am still puzzled, as it appears into the image not from the edge, then apparently disappears :wacko:

It's my sceptic nature, if I'm told the lights are on, then why are they not on all the way across?

Sorry, I'm just really intrigued?

(And no, I don't believe in aliens, or ghosts, or any other rubbish)

Also if it was a plane, how come the wings do not blot out any of the background stars?

Guest Kheldar

Also if it was a plane, how come the wings do not blot out any of the background stars?

Maths .... 355 seconds of white (star) and 5 seconds of black (wing) = (average) almost white :) Think of each pixel as a bucket ... it doesn't record a colour ... it fills up with electrons as the exposure it taken

Edited by Kheldar

Hang on, I get it now, what Sheila said we're satellites are in fact the lights on the wing tips........ Then the inner lights are the flashy strobe lights.......

MUPPET ALERT, I will get my coat.

Guest Kheldar

Hang on, I get it now, what Sheila said we're satellites are in fact the lights on the wing tips........ Then the inner lights are the flashy strobe lights.......

MUPPET ALERT, I will get my coat.

Well I did wonder ...