• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Hahaha! Caught me out there Martyn lol

But I am making the dob easier to port around - just might need a lift into the boot with it (well Di will hehe!). :rofl::laugh2:

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled the trigger on a nice shiny red Moonlite focuser for the solar scope. Hope it arrives in time for the transit - fortunately it's only a 5mins job to swop 'em over. :)

• Like 2

Woohoo! it arrived this morning at 9:30am

Took the old one off and fitted the new one in 5 mins - looks fabulous!

I'll be setting up on the drive this avo for the transit.

If anyone is in the neighborhood and fancies a gander then you're more than welcome to drop in for a cuppa.

Hopefully there will be some clear gaps where we get a good view. :)

• Like 3

On 4/22/2016 at 16:01, Brantuk said:

Just ordered a Fotomate VT-680-222R tripod for the SW Star Adventurer mount that I bought second hand a couple of weeks ago. It's an uncanny little feature rich mount - but does need a stable platform. The mount/tripod will also handle a small scope, solar scope, and any bins I throw at it. Downsizing can be fun after all - I think.... :wacko:

Hi Kim,

How is the Fotomate VT-680-222R tripod ?

I've got this on my wishlist to use with the Astrotrac, camera and binos  (not all at the same time!)

Hi Al - the tripod is brilliant - really pleased with it. Very solid and stable providing a good platform for lightweight photography, and smooth and solid with larger bins. Feel free to drop in when you're nearby and you can have a look at it in the flesh before buying.

Here's a link to the video demo (the VT680 bit starts 12mins 30secs in):

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/spotting_scopes_and_monoculars-tripods/fotomate-vt-680-222r.html

FLO do the best price I could find btw. :)

Cheers Kim,

I have one sitting in my FLO wishlist at the moment ..... seems like a good opportunity to spend the FLO gift vouchers I have sitting here.

Finally took the plunge today and got the plywood to build a prototype new rocker box for the Lightbridge. Also got a couple of power tools - Bosche router and an Evolution circular saw. Watch the diy section for the "build" thread and pics - starting soon......

(actually the nice cutter man at B&Q did all the major cuts on his warehouse wall saw - I'm just doing the shaping, joining, and painting) :)

• Like 3

My observing hood came this morning from R-Sky in deepest Russia.

http://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

It is an oversized "monks hood" nicely designed in comfortable light-proof black denim with adjustable press stud fasteners at the neck. Besides keeping out the light, it will also keep out the wind and cold, and will possibly have other uses around Halloween. Now sworn in to the Hallowed Order of the Deep Sky, I have vowed to observe poverty, chastity and obedience - no change there then :D. Can't find anywhere else in the world that does these apart from one at three times the price in the US.

Very pleased with prices, quality and delivery from Roman Backay at R-Sky. I also have their dew control which is very good. Give them a try.

I ordered it last Saturday night and it arrived early this morning, exactly a week later.

13 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

My observing hood came this morning from R-Sky in deepest Russia.

http://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

It is an oversized "monks hood" nicely designed in comfortable light-proof black denim with adjustable press stud fasteners at the neck. Besides keeping out the light, it will also keep out the wind and cold, and will possibly have other uses around Halloween. Now sworn in to the Hallowed Order of the Deep Sky, I have vowed to observe poverty, chastity and obedience - no change there then :D. Can't find anywhere else in the world that does these apart from one at three times the price in the US.

Very pleased with prices, quality and delivery from Roman Backay at R-Sky. I also have their dew control which is very good. Give them a try.

I ordered it last Saturday night and it arrived early this morning, exactly a week later.

Just don't walk about near your local cemetery at night wearing it! :ph34r:, you will give somebody an heart attack! ;)

6 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Especially if you're carrying a scythe lol :laugh2:

I'd be arrested :D

reaper.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/05/2016 at 09:26, Brantuk said:

Hi Al - the tripod is brilliant - really pleased with it. Very solid and stable providing a good platform for lightweight photography, and smooth and solid with larger bins. Feel free to drop in when you're nearby and you can have a look at it in the flesh before buying.

Here's a link to the video demo (the VT680 bit starts 12mins 30secs in):

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/spotting_scopes_and_monoculars-tripods/fotomate-vt-680-222r.html

FLO do the best price I could find btw. :)

My new Fotomate VT-680-222R Extra Heavy-Duty Professional 2-Way Tripod arrived yesterday. 

It had been sitting in my FLO wishlist for a while but took the plunge after watching the video review Kim posted, plus I had some FLO gift vouchers to spend.

First impressions are very good!  Well made and very stable, it will easily carry my DSLR/Astrotrac/Binos. A good max height which well be very welcome when using the binos.  

Seen reports that say 5-6kg working load is fine and potentially up to 8kg! (not sure I'd push it that far

So I couldn't resist putting the Skymax 127 (3.4kg) on top to see how it would work as a grab & go.

Won't know for sure until the clouds clear but at a good working height (not the tripod max) it's still stable and a very smooth movement.  

No indication that it might topple over and no major juddering when at the eyepiece. 

Not tried the Equinox 80 Pro, but in theory it should be OK, depending on what's attached to the end! 

I also ordered a spare quick release plate, but now I've seen how it holds the scope I might order another 1 or 2 of those so I can switch between camera, binos & scope in seconds.

Al

• Like 2

Nice eyepiece Daz and a wonderful collection you have there. 

I'll have a gander through it at Kelling.

Nice one Daz - you'll have to drop over to our pitch and have a go with it in the Lightbridge - you can be my new best friend lol :)

Way to go Darren :)

Arguably one of the ultimate eyepieces there is. 

I still remember my first view through one with a 14" Dob : the Double Cluster that night was unforgettable. 

I'm sure you'll be amazed by the views :thumbsup:

Congratulations Daz, your patience has paid off. ?:)

It's a good thing you have been keeping a close eye on prices and availability, you got it cheaper and much sooner than you thought! ?

Nice one Daz. I'll be in the queue at kelling. Some direct comparisons with the ES might be in order?

Thanks all.

Yeah, the double cluster is going to be first on my agenda, can't wait to get lost in the FOV.

While proving a slightly smaller true FOV than my 35mm Panoptic (1.7 degree vs 1.8 degrees) the mag on the 21mm is quite a bit higher so should provide a slightly darker background, I also got kidney beaning with the 35mm, doubt I will get any with the 21mm Ethos.

Will be good to see what (if any) difference there is to the ES, also looking forward to seeing it in action in a bigger scope.

:) 

50 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

Thanks all.

Yeah, the double cluster is going to be first on my agenda, can't wait to get lost in the FOV.

While proving a slightly smaller true FOV than my 35mm Panoptic (1.7 degree vs 1.8 degrees) the mag on the 21mm is quite a bit higher so should provide a slightly darker background, I also got kidney beaning with the 35mm, doubt I will get any with the 21mm Ethos.

Will be good to see what (if any) difference there is to the ES, also looking forward to seeing it in action in a bigger scope.

:) 

One of my first 100 degree experiences was of the double cluster at Belper in my old 10" F4 Schmidt Newtonian with a 14mm ES giving 72x and a 1.4 degree true field. A bit similar to the view you are going to get. This view of the double cluster was the one that really got me hooked on 100 degrees, I was totally gobsmacked by it. At the time, it was my only 100 degree eyepiece.

Very pleased for you Darren :)

Just ordered a new camera for work: Point Grey Blackfly USB3 Camera (IMX249 Mono) 5.86µm, hopefuly we should be able to improve the quality of our live streams and as a big bonus will be able to process the images since the Watec doesn't output useful files for that.

48 minutes ago, Perkil8r said:

Just ordered a new camera for work: Point Grey Blackfly USB3 Camera (IMX249 Mono) 5.86µm, hopefuly we should be able to improve the quality of our live streams and as a big bonus will be able to process the images since the Watec doesn't output useful files for that.

I'll be very interested to see any videos from that :thumbsup:

I take it that it is an integrating camera for DSO's as well as the bright stuff.