• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Not strictly astro - but will be used extensively shifting astro gear around and loading it in/out of the car.

And it means I don't have to sell all my big scopes! :)

It's coming tomorrow:

• Like 2

Just got some of these from Astroboot.

The website picture showed a split in the flight case caused by a shipping prang, but the bins they said were A1. The ones that turned up the case is perfect - no damage whatsoever - and £100 off retail. The bins are brand new - I'd say never used - I have yet to take them out and test - but it all bodes well so far:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios/helios-quantum-4-if-25x100-binoculars.html

:)

There was also a 6" achro (Evo 150 ota) that I nearly got just for some fun - it was only £235 - but beaten to it by an sgl'er. They do have some great bargains from time to time - worth checking daily.

Edited by Brantuk
  • Like 3

Just looked at the 'astrotools field of view simulator'.....

You should get some great view of Andromeda with those bins.

Do you have a mounting option Kim, or is it time to hit the gym....;)?

I think the gym would just about finish me off lol.

They go very nicely on the tripod I got a few weeks ago - Fotomate VT-680-222R. :)

(plus I have a good adaptor incoming)

• Like 2

Just arrived from Ocean city, Maryland, USA

Earthwin Bino-viewer system (for Newtonian)

with integrated Power / Filter switch.

Let me tell you briefly how it works.

There is a corrector (at the non bino end) which acts as an amplifier, allowing me to reach focus with a binoviewer (which swallows up a whole load of lightpath mm.)

The Powerswitch has 2 separate reducer lenses which can be 'slid' into the lightpath, in effect giving me 

3 different 'powers', in this case 1.2x 1.9x and 2.4x with just the one set of eyepieces.

The filterslide is coupled to the powerswitch and simply allows me to put a pair of 2 inch filters into the lightpath as required.

Its really cool. This system is designed solely for Newtonians. 

I will use my other Bino, the Mk 5, only in my refractor.

Full report to follow. :)

27229751610_48233b4fe3_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 2

Nice pair! And filter... :)

Good for you Rob ?

Look forward to your follow up report...

cheers!

That is a fantastic piece of equipment Rob. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to your first light report.

I like the power slide so you can have 3 pairs of eyepieces out of 1 pair. :)

Edited by Tweedledee

I've been wanting to try out some filters for a while Steve.

This is the most practical way i think.

Need to save up for 2 or 3 filters now ! More expense :wacko:

The UHC and O iii are high on my list.

Been toying with the idea of a little mirror making project again for quite some time now. Did one about 30 years back so maybe time for another go.

So I've picked up a little 7" borosilicate blank ?

Prob take me another 30 years to complete tho.... ? - well to do the rough grinding....

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Astronigel said:

Been toying with the idea of a little mirror making project again for quite some time now. Did one about 30 years back so maybe time for another go.

So I've picked up a little 7" borosilicate blank ?

Prob take me another 30 years to complete tho.... ? - well to do the rough grinding....

Good luck.:thumbsup:

Hope you will post some pics and progress reports.

Today I visited the seaside at Whitstable in scorching sunshine. :P

Wandered into a little open air market and found a stall selling a few old second hand bits and pieces. This little 1960's zoom telescope caught my eye, as I remember wanting one of these as a child. I bartered the guy down to £15 and took it. :) The scope looks new and unused in the original box. It is a surprisingly solid, heavy metal scope and the focuser and zoom mechanisms feel lovely and smooth to use. It has a quarter inch tripod adaptor, but I managed to brace myself and hold it steady enough without a tripod. I had my £15 worth on the sea front, zooming in on probably 500 wind turbines, some oil rigs, forts and boats of all sizes. It has a large zoom range of 8x to 25x and a very sharp field stop. Once focused at the higher power it stays focused throughout zooming. Not exactly wide angle, but it was great fun to play with the zoom facility. Hope to zoom in on Jupiter and the moon tonight. :)

20160616_192321s.jpg

Nice one Pete.

My first scope was a Prinz, not sure of the model but looked very similar to yours, I still have it in the loft.

Fifteen squids for an afternoon of fun with that has gotta be cheaper than a night out with the lads on a pub crawl - plus you get to use it over and again. Smashing purchase Pete. :)

Cheers.

Didn't use it last night due to cloud. This little scope is a surprisingly well made bit of kit both optically and mechanically. Unlike most zooms, the apparent field of view stays constant while zooming. Most zooms have a wider apparent field at the highest power and a narrower apparent field at the lower power. This scope is completely linear when zooming, which I like. It must also have some very slick mechanics to maintain perfect focus while zooming. Don't think anyone makes anything similar now, unless it is in cheap plastic or costs a fortune. It was a superb tool in daylight for spying out to sea, but I can't see it being anything special for astronomy. It could definitely be fun for zooming in on bright objects at night though. I'm well pleased for my 15 quid. :)

• Like 2

A good find Pete, and a bargain too! I wonder how many people looked at that and walked on by...

I always look for things like that... And never find anything! ?

I have preordered the Gary Fildes 'An Astronomers Tale' book, should get this at the end of July ?

It should be an inspiring read about someone living the dream!

Gary is the founder and lead astronomer of the Kielder public observatory in Northumberland. It is in the process of building a planetarium and extending facilities on a £15 million project ?

image.jpg