• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Sounds excellent, think I will get that too, Steve. :thumbsup:

That is a fantastic budget for a public observatory. Will be on my visiting list since my daughter is at uni in Newcastle for the foreseeable future (another 6 years!). 

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that's not going on a telescope...      :nonono:

:) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

What better use could it possibly have. :rofl:

• Like 2

6D

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fc8.staticflickr.com%2F8%2F7432%2F28007074015_82e5c4d9ea_z.jpg&key=23aff498ab16109d55a121d045a0bd71cf06fde4cfd1854ad24a512ae3ab2fa9

Cracking camera best one for low light ;) I sold mine earlier this year as upgraded to a 5D3 for my summer "hobby"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Maybe the odd lunar image........? :D

But i'm hoping to do some widefield stuff on my little tracking mount.

The master imager that is StuartJPP uses one of these i believe.

If i can do anything half as good, or even a quarter as good i'll be a happy bunny.

I won't be splasing out on a £6K lens though......

I've had Canons in the past (30D,40D) and always liked them, mainly for terrestrial stuff that i enjoy.

I like to have a 'play' at imaging from time to time, but don't take it too seriously. 

The 6D is well discounted at present, as a replacement (Mk 2) is probably due soon.

Traded in my Sony A7 series for this, and cost me less than £200. 

I may get it 'modded' in due course, we'll see.

Edited by Bino-viewer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tuckstar said:

ES 14MM 100°

Well, that's my birthday money all gone ?.

You seem to like those eps Andy. :)

• 1 month later...

The obligatory kelling heath purchase.

Very pleased with this. 60mm illuminated RACI finder.

2016-10-02_04-11-40

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Thats a biggie Andy.

You may have to add ballast at the other end ! :D

Thankfully the weight I have is enough but any more on the end and I will have to revisit.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my latest buy. An artificial star, hopefully it will get me a better idea of collimation without wasting valuable observing time with real stars. It has a nice build quality and the dimmer is nice and smooth. I can just turn it on and have a little star all to myself even when it's cloudy! :) 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232107510384?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

26 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Here's my latest buy. An artificial star, hopefully it will get me a better idea of collimation without wasting valuable observing time with real stars. It has a nice build quality and the dimmer is nice and smooth. I can just turn it on and have a little star all to myself even when it's cloudy! :) 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232107510384?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Buying a star has to be much better value than an acre of land on Mars, even if it is artificial. :thumbsup:

That was a bargain. :thumbsup:

Interested in this artificial star Martyn.....

Let us know how you get on with it from a collimation point of view.

I've heard they have to be positioned a good way off.

According to the instructions, 25 metres away for my 300P, less for smaller apertures.

I'll have a bash when I get a minute.

I too am confused about the distances for these artificial stars. The one above has a 250 micron star and the instructions say it should be at 23 metres from a 300mm scope. The TS version has a much smaller 50 micron star and they say to take one third of the aperture in millimetres and use that as the distance in metres. So for a 300mm scope it should be 100 metres away!

250 microns at 23 metres is 2.24 arcseconds
50 microns at 100 metres is 0.1 arcseconds

I would have thought that the artificial star ideally needs to be at the distance that it subtends an angle of no greater than the resolving power of the scope. With superb optics, conditions and eyesight, that is rarely going to be better than 1 arcsecond in a 300mm scope.

So the smaller the artificial star, the closer it can be. The larger the scope the further it needs to be. Though I'm sure some useful collimation can be done with it much closer than that.

I'd be very interested if someone can give some clarification on this.

Edited by Tweedledee

Bought the Vixen SG 2.1x42 Widefield Binoculars at the IAS show yesterday ??

I went down with this one item firmly in my sights, so to speak!

i have been hankering after a pair after trying out a daytime session with Tweedledee's set, plus the persistent encouraging nudges from posts and a good article int the Astronomy Now mag recently! 

So I went out last night around midnight to 1.00 am cloud dodging for a first light. There was a full moon to boot but what I saw was exciting and very encouraging, the Hyades, Pleiades, Auriga and several other constellations looked fabulous, I can't wait to try them out on a clear moonless night! ??

• Like 3