• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

3 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Bought the Vixen SG 2.1x42 Widefield Binoculars at the IAS show yesterday ??

I went down with this one item firmly in my sights, so to speak!

i have been hankering after a pair after trying out a daytime session with Tweedledee's set, plus the persistent encouraging nudges from posts and a good article int the Astronomy Now mag recently! 

So I went out last night around midnight to 1.00 am cloud dodging for a first light. There was a full moon to boot but what I saw was exciting and very encouraging, the Hyades, Pleiades, Auriga and several other constellations looked fabulous, I can't wait to try them out on a clear moonless night! ??

Nice purchase. I can't wait for you to try them out on a clear moonless night. :2thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Brantuk said:

Got this rather nice C9.25 as part of my downsizing exercise - complete with bobs knobs, dew shield, padded case, and Telrad with dew shield. Immaculate condition and will fit very nicely on my AZNEQ6:

C925-1.jpg

C925-2.jpg

Very nice. And that padded case is a great idea. :thumbsup:

Could you share the make / model / size of that case please Kim ?

I'm after something like that, but for a much smaller tube.

Sure Rob - the case is for a 9.25" tube and is made by bags2cover.

It's very nicely padded - bit of an exact fit - and it's long enough to accommodate a 2" diagonal fixed to the scope. :)

http://www.bags2cover.co.uk/

(they also do made to measure)

Edited by Brantuk

Not a big purchase but highly recommended by an SGL user. I found I was getting poor frame rates from my ASI120MC last season so have invested in a couple of these:
MutecPower 5m USB 3.0 male to female cable with extention chipset - Active Extension / Repeater Cable - Black - 5 Meters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BLPSU2W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.Zibyb0KMDNF2

The ones I have at present purport to be active cables but they were considerably cheaper than these and did not perform well. Should have spent the extra in the first place. We live and learn [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Well after getting the above cables, my old vista HP laptop finally died a death-longtime coming really and I am surprised it lasted as long as it did!

So I have bought a new laptop with windows 10 and USB 3.0 ports and it has 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. Just a refurbed HP job but will do nicely as a dedicated Astro laptop. Just now have to go through the nightmare of downloading all programs again and then setting up stellarium to run the AZEQ6 that was frustrating last time and as I have never used windows 10 before I am sure it will be equally as frustrating [emoji4]

i was dreading it to when i updated my obsy pc, but i wrote down all setting especially in stellarium and eqmod and it worked first time, windows 10 did update the driver for the prolific eq mod cable, but i just rolled it back in device manager and no problems since, one thing i would suggest would be to turn off updates until you are ready to do them yourself. mine had a habit of updating the system when i was imaging at night, this caused the pc to totally reboot without asking.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, red dwalf said:

i was dreading it to when i updated my obsy pc, but i wrote down all setting especially in stellarium and eqmod and it worked first time, windows 10 did update the driver for the prolific eq mod cable, but i just rolled it back in device manager and no problems since, one thing i would suggest would be to turn off updates until you are ready to do them yourself. mine had a habit of updating the system when i was imaging at night, this caused the pc to totally reboot without asking.

I have had no problems with any Astro software running on Windows 10 but I agree that once working its a good idea to "lock down" the PC - i.e. switch off updates. As for the Prolific saga its just a case of which version of Prolific hardware you use - I do a bit of arduino micro which ha a USB/Serial interface - so long as I get the Prolific CH340G version it works across the range (Win Vista - 10) no problems. NOTE when you first install the CH340G you will need to allow Windows to fetch the driver but other than that there has been no problems. I have todate(LOL) no self rebooting using these devices. They also come in 3.3/5v(switchable onbaord) versions which means they will work with NEQ6 and AZeq6GT.   Glad you have sorted you PC problems.

• Like 2

This will be nothing to you lot.  I've do my very first purchase of astronomy gear. 

Went for the cheap eyepieces as I'm new to the game.

Skywatcher SP super plosse 6.3mm

Skywatcher SP super plosse 10mm

Skywatcher SP super plosse 32mm

Filters

Cheshire collimator

A cover for the scope

wonder cloth and fluid

Accessory case

Headlamp

sky Atlas

and a Amazon Fire TV for my daughter.

Seems everything to do with  viewing costs alot!

There's nowt wrong with those Sky Watcher eyepieces, they will certainly turn out a good view for you. I have to be honest and say that I have looked through some very expensive eyepieces and they don't suit my eye's, I just don't like some of them. Don't get me wrong Teleview's are outstanding, they do work well for me, but I am actually happy with my mid range stuff.

It's horses for courses. Let us know how you get on with them. As for the rest of it, you have a good haul of astro stuff there, Sneaky indeed! :)

Nice little haul you have there!

Just remember, when the missus asks how much those eps are, just tell her they are £50.

That's what mine cost ;) 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

Just remember, when the missus asks how much those eps are, just tell her they are £50.

That's what mine cost ;) 

Sound advice from Darren. 

Thats the way i play it too. All £50. Its only my 2" Nagler 31 that cost a bit more.....£79 in my case.

4 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Nice little haul you have there!

That's what mine cost ;) 

Don't have to worry about the missus, don't have one :D no arguments and I get the bed to myself. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Doc said:

When you come to sell them are they still £50 :lol:

Nah, the price on second hand TeleVue's sky rockets the moment you want to sell them!

:P 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, I really should cut the credit card up!

Christmas treat/reward after some hard times at work-whatever other label to try and justify it!

Here goes:

-Moonlite DC motor focus and hand control

- ZWO ASI224MC

-ZWO Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector

-ZWO IR/UV filter

-Lynx Astro EQDIR USB Cable

-one of those funny fleece hat things that everyone on here is buying from China

-Also am taking my (big) scope to Kent on Saturday to be sorted properly by SC Telescopes as it's still not quite right.

Right now to book a load of overtime to pay off the credit card!

You can't cut it up Felix, you just melted it! :D Happy day's mate, I hope you get your scope sorted, I am looking forward to some images of Jupiter from it! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, BAZ said:

You can't cut it up Felix, you just melted it! :D Happy day's mate, I hope you get your scope sorted, I am looking forward to some images of Jupiter from it! :thumbsup:

Ha ha! Yeah you're probably right there Martyn :) I am banking on Steve being able to get it back to how it was when I first got it. I am missing doing proper sized planetary imaging. AM looking forward to seeing how the ADC will help with jupiters low altitude. 

1 hour ago, philjay said:

Nice haul Felix. Sorry to hear your still having problems with the big scope. Steve Collingwood will sort it I am sure

Hi Phil, I am hoping he will be bale to help. He's been so friendly by email and is opening up especially on a Saturday for me. Seems like a really nice guy. 

Nice shopping spree Felix. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing some planetary images when you get the scope sorted, and interested to see how it goes with the Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector now the planets are very low down.

SWMBO ordered me these, but they have to be wrapped up till the 25th. :rolleyes:

I hope to sneak a peek before then. :ph34r:

Volume 4 has arrived in stock at FLO today, it was released in the USA about 3 weeks ago. They are £25 each plus £4.95 postage.

I already have volumes 2 and 3 and can thoroughly recommend them.

vol1.jpg  vol4.jpg

Nice shopping spree Felix. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing some planetary images when you get the scope sorted, and interested to see how it goes with the Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector now the planets are very low down.

Cheers Pete :) Yes I decided I needed to get fully back into it and recent outings with the scope just secured my thoughts that it was still not quite right. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get with the new gear when the scope is sorted also :)