• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

3 hours ago, Al.Grant said:

You'll have to keep us updated on build progress....... then of course there's the 'first light'  party to organise :-)

Long way off yet mate - gotta get well again before I even start - could be next year sometime if I'm lucky. :)

• 1 month later...

20170606_203107s.jpg?raw=1

As a change from book reading I decided to check out some DVDs.

I nearly bought Brian Greenes book and then realised I could get the DVD of the same title, so I'll give it a go. It is a 4 hour DVD so quite substantial for £15.

I have had a few of the Great Courses science and maths lectures previously and found them brilliant. When I saw this title on Particle Physics at 70% discount reduced temporarily to only £24, I just had to have it. It has twenty four 30 minute university style lectures, and comes with a course guide book. The lecturer is Stephen Pollock who won the title of US Professor of the Year in 2013. Looking forward to getting started on these. :)

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a very quiet year so far from an astronomy point of view, due to a bad bereavement at the end of March.

So bad in fact, that i've actually lost interest in doing pretty much everything, observing included.

I'm ready to get back into it again, and this weeks news of Howie Glatters death reminded me to buy something.

Belated Birthday present to myself : it's not much to shout about really.

Its a switch upgrade with variable 'dimmer control' for my Howie Glatter laser collimator.

Despite my having the 'standard brightness laser', not the 'high brightness' version, its still a little bit too bright.

This dimmer switch, makes it go as dim as you like, and hopefully will enhance my collimation.

35321279415_b63b021084_n.jpg35191469741_400351e739_n.jpg34511102313_4598966d1f_n.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear your sad news Rob, but glad that you are starting to get back into doing stuff again. 

It put everything into perspective Pete.

Although my love for astronomy was still there, it almost became trivial along with pretty much everything else.

I've only had 2 astro sessions this year : one at Belper and one at Wymeswold.

Only observed Jupiter the once. Saturn not at all.....

I'm planning on capturing some Noctilucent clouds in the near future........? I'll need to dust the camera off first :facepalm:

Ordered  deep sky stacker guide by Dave eagle from his website £7 not sure if it's an actual book or a pamphlet style book  will update when I receive it, and a 750mm length of 140x5mm steel tube  Father's Day presents to myself ?

• 4 weeks later...

Astrophysics for people in a hurry  audio cd ,off of ebay though the seller blatantly copied and burned it onto a disc i kid you not ,says he is a reseller, er um i dont think so,plays in the car fine though :rolleyes: actually a good listen though :thumbsup: , revelation D-bar losmondy style ordered from telescope house incoming birthday present ,and a 1m length of 139mmx 5mm wall tube also a birthday present from Metals4u ,  

Thanks for the mention of the astrophysics audio David. Just downloaded it to my phone so I can listen on dog walks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

EOS500d upgrade -eos1000d

canon 500D ? Off flea bay, nice condition , missing viewfinder rubber cup  other than that it's fine 

Edited by Bottletopburly

Was searching the net for ideas for home made friction adjusters for dobsonian altitude bearings. I'm expecting that I might have the odd eyepiece balancing problem! :D

I found several home made ideas, and then found this ready made from Teleskop Service. At the price I thought why bother trying to make one...:)

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6767_TS-Optics-Friction-bearing-for-altitude-axis---for-ATM-mount-and-Dobsonian-construction.html

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

Was searching the net for ideas for home made friction adjusters for dobsonian altitude bearings. I'm expecting that I might have the odd eyepiece balancing problem! :D

I found several home made ideas, and then found this ready made from Teleskop Service. At the price I thought why bother trying to make one...:)

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6767_TS-Optics-Friction-bearing-for-altitude-axis---for-ATM-mount-and-Dobsonian-construction.html

Thats a good find I have book marked that for when I bring out my Modified(read home made) Sky W Dob mount again - been in storage but this would have help during the build. Nice one Pete

Can you still just lift the scope out to chuck it in the car? Obviously not the beast your planning! Looks like something I could do with for mine. Nice find Pete. 

Edited by tuckstar

On 22/07/2017 at 22:50, tuckstar said:

Can you still just lift the scope out to chuck it in the car? Obviously not the beast your planning! Looks like something I could do with for mine. Nice find Pete. 

The mechanism bolts to the OTA only and just sits in the side of the rocker box. Will probably need a minor modification to get it to fit in the woodwork.

So yes you'll be able to lift it straight out just as before. I intend to be able to do the same with my beast - just. :)

• 2 weeks later...

New Pimaluce canon 700Da cooled camera. Just need some clear sky to test it

Chris

Canon_camera_700DA_Cooled_raffreddata_infografica_EN.jpg

• Like 3

Always been chuffed with the results from the 500D, hoping for better thing with this.

Interesting buy there Chris......i'll be interested in seeing your results. Good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

Decided I needed a new pair of binoculars, I don't have that many. :rolleyes:

I wanted something wide angle, a bit smaller than my 10x50s and most of all, of good quality but not at Swarovski prices. I blame this on Mick (Doc), ever since EMS 4 when he forced me at gunpoint to try out his fantastic Swarovski's, I've realised that I was missing something. :)

I already had a good idea from the internet of the right specs in my price range, and wanted something for nature watching as well as astro.

Had a trip to RVO this afternoon and looked through several, but the views through one of them just blew me away and I had to have them. Got the new Hawke Frontier 8x43 ED OH. These binoculars are an absolute pleasure to look through and quality wise are streets ahead of my other bins, although my others have their own particular specialities. The Hawkes feel very comfortable and are light to hold. The focusing is so smooth and just snaps quickly and precisely into a crystal clear bright view. They have a massive 8.2 degree FOV and 18mm of eye relief making them so easy to look through. The clarity of the view is superb, and it just doesn't feel like you are looking through binoculars. Very pleased with these. :)

20170824_175425s.jpg?raw=1

20170824_175449s.jpg?raw=1

• Like 4

I still have my 10x43 Hawkes well I say I have them they are now used by the other half. Brilliant bins Pete and as you say a lot cheaper then Swarovskis. You will like them I'm sure, especially the massive 8.2° FOV. They also excell at scanning the milkyway from a dark site, I used to use them at the caravan in norfolk, used to sit in a lounger for hours just scanning the heavens.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

They look a beautifully made pair of binoculars Pete.

Almost Swarovsk-iesque even :)

Cheers Rob, they are certainly the nicest I've ever had, and I've had and still got a bit of a collection of bins. :) 

The Hawkes weren't cheap by most binocular standards, but I could still have had a few pairs of them for the price of one similar sized Swarovski !!! :o

Indeed.....Swarovski prices are a bit scary.

I may be interested in a pair myself, i already have an excellent pair of Fujinon 7x50, but they are a bit on the heavy side.

I think the Hawkes would be great for travel, and like you say with lovely wide FOV would provide memorable views from a dark site.

Optically though, the Fujis really shine : much better than my Canons.

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking for a wide angle eyepiece for a finder. Couldn't find a cheap 21mm Ethos complete with illuminated crosshairs, but then this s/h TS 20mm 70 degree might be a more sensible option. :)

TS2070.jpg?raw=1