• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

20170924_162124.jpg?raw=1

I couldn't resist sharing your excitement Mike, and can confirm that this is a superb and fully featured door mat. Never has a door matt performed so flawlessly for so long. We've had no serious problems with ours over the last 20 years and would never want to part with it. I just can't emphasise enough how these mats can enhance your life for the better. I'm surprised that you haven't had people offering to swap you a big Nagler or Ethos for it. You have an incredible investment there and I hope it makes you as happy as ours has made us. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

That mat is everything you could would wish for and if not you can hang it on a wall and store all your 17mm nuts in it :P

In all seriousness it is a great purchase. I had realised I had left my mat at home and I was tramping mud, grass and water in to the tent. Went into the town with the intention to buy a cheap carpet type one. This is so much better, it really gets the crud off before going in and doesn't hod the moisture. £3.99 well spent I'd say.

Still putting my mat through its paces here in Kelling, will post a pic when I am back. I concur with Mike's view that these are indeed good mats. I look forward to your review Mike, I may even post my first foot impressions of this great piece of kit as well.

Back home after giving the new mat a good testing at Kelling and I am pleased to say that it fulfilled all that was expected of it and never put a foot wrong even during last nights rain.

Money well spent I reckon, this piece of kit will be accompanying me on more trips in future.

Here is a shot of it in action.

mat.jpg?raw=1

They are just works of art. I wanted one, but I don't think I am mature enough to be able to cope with the correct operation of one. 

A mat is for life not just for Kelling. I've heard that some people really maltreat them, even stamping or jumping on them! So sad. :(

Well I am pleased to say that the journey home had no detrimental effect on my mat. It is now safely homed in the man cave. First impressions are very good. As Phil has also found, mine never faltered in use. Underfoot it felt very secure and performed brilliantly in removing crud from my size 9's. My only regret is having not purchased another.

Just fetched a second hand 7 yrs old Meade Lightbridge 16" from the Lake District :) it needs a bit of tender love and care - possibly a new rocker box etc. So will be studying Kim's posts on rocker box build again! :D.

This will be a nice little project for me - got it for a song though, with a shroud, Orion optics 90 deg correct image spotter etc, so I am very excited about this! Making lists now... already sorted out my lenses spreadsheet giving me magnification and TFOV etc :)File%2002-10-2017,%2014%2027%2007.jpeg?r

Very nice Stephen :thumbsup:

You'll love it - excellent scope! If you need any tips, measurements, or source any parts for it, don't hesitate to get in touch. Or if you fancy coming over for a cuppa and a chat about the scope you'd be most welcome to drop by. :)

• Like 1

Brings back loads of memories. Nice buy Steve, they are great scopes and so easy to mod, just look at mine and Kim's old threads for inspiration.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brantuk said:

Very nice Stephen :thumbsup:

You'll love it - excellent scope! If you need any tips, measurements, or source any parts for it, don't hesitate to get in touch. Or if you fancy coming over for a cuppa and a chat about the scope you'd be most welcome to drop by. :)

Thanks Kim, I will bear all this into account, I would like to drop by at some point, but I will be looking at old posts by you and Mick too. Did you finish your rocker box last year?

4 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Nice one Steve. Looking forward to any updates on your TLC. :2thumbsup:

Thanks Pete, I will be making a list of work to do to get it back up to scratch. I will have a think about posting updates on this project ?

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Brings back loads of memories. Nice buy Steve, they are great scopes and so easy to mod, just look at mine and Kim's old threads for inspiration.

Will be Looking at your posts on this for sure Mick!

i remember very well some of your comments and stories from the great times you spent with your 16" dob. It was inspirational stuff. I have been hankering after the chance to try out a big scope for some time, at last a chance came up! ?

1 hour ago, BAZ said:

Nice light bucket there Steve. I'll be watching with interest. :thumbsup:

Thanks Martyn, looking forward to first light etc ?

36 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Nice one Steve.

Its a bit of a beast : you did well to get it in the car !

Must admit I was a bit worried about it fitting in the car Rob, but it was not a problem - the scope breaks down very well, so looking forward to getting out and about with it. I was also worried about lifting it, but again found I could manage it ok ?

Cheers all, it's all very exciting!!!

I finished building it Stephen but have yet to paint it, despite buying 3 tins of paint months ago lol. :)

• Like 1

Oh !  A box has arrived.......

Wonder whats inside :huh: ?

37511268791_6695cf0e6f_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

5 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Going by what the label says big black fluffy clouds ??????????

On 02/10/2017 at 21:32, Brantuk said:

I finished building it Stephen but have yet to paint it, despite buying 3 tins of paint months ago lol. :)

Are you painting it white, or varnishing it Kim?

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

It looks big, whatever it is! ?

it looks like it’s going to rain for the next month... ?