• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

58 minutes ago, BAZ said:

You are getting a nice eyepiece collection Andy, pure class there.

Thanks Martyn. These are really to use with the zeiss but I'm sure I'll have a play with dobby at somepoint. Just need to upgrade the diagonal now, thinking baader zeiss prism, but the price tag is heavy.

@Doc just looked at your post again  this morning. The eyepieces are sitting in padded sleeves in the box except the 25. Think that's why they look so different.

Edited by tuckstar

Stocking fillers....

Paul Moneys yearly 'Night Scenes' 

and 'Stargazers Almanac 2018'  

Not purchased the almanac before, so looking forward to opening that......

38996554722_df847f9298_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 15:46, 8472 said:

And finally, my 3d printed Star Adventurer polar illuminator extension, from fleabay.

20171129_153900-1008x567.thumb.jpg.7254163888334eaec3f692adbf774a06.jpg

Handy for polar alignment after all my kit has been set up.

How does that work if the polar alignment scope is obstructed? Do you mean you use another polar scope in conjunction with that adaptor?  I have the Star Adventurer and if I can check PA after the camera has been put on, that would be good because I could tweak it if it had gone off a bit from manhandling.

On 11/28/2017 at 17:26, 8472 said:

Thanks - it's a WO Zenithstar 61 apo. 

Can't wait to take it out!

20171128_172312-907x1612.thumb.jpg.7c438eb3a9a33383427eeeb7e2f182d1.jpg

Btw ignore the toddler proof door handle...

Do you think it would take a WO GT81?  I was trying to see how you bolted the Star Adventurer on the tripod. It looks like you have the same/similar tripod as me - First Horizons?  There were two ways to mount the SA I could see. One was with a 3/8" nut and another the standard 1/4".  I now can't remember how I did it, but I adjust alt by using the tripods pan movement, and alt by the Star Adventurer's screwed jack-like movement.

There was a way to bolt direct to the tripod, without the quick release plate, but I have the Star Adventurer on the quick release plate. I think it's just held in by 3-4 threads on a 1/4" standard bush if I remember. If that failed, my SA and camera would fall.  But it hasn't so far, but not used a lot over the last year since I got it.  I think I chose the mounting option that uses the tripod's East West movement to PA.

14 hours ago, Orion said:

How does that work if the polar alignment scope is obstructed? Do you mean you use another polar scope in conjunction with that adaptor?  I have the Star Adventurer and if I can check PA after the camera has been put on, that would be good because I could tweak it if it had gone off a bit from manhandling.

If you have the L bracket as seen in my setup photo, it has a long slot down the middle which allows polarscope adaptor fitment. The bracket does not obscure the polarscope view.

14 hours ago, Orion said:

Do you think it would take a WO GT81?  I was trying to see how you bolted the Star Adventurer on the tripod. It looks like you have the same/similar tripod as me - First Horizons?  There were two ways to mount the SA I could see. One was with a 3/8" nut and another the standard 1/4".  I now can't remember how I did it, but I adjust alt by using the tripods pan movement, and alt by the Star Adventurer's screwed jack-like movement.

There was a way to bolt direct to the tripod, without the quick release plate, but I have the Star Adventurer on the quick release plate. I think it's just held in by 3-4 threads on a 1/4" standard bush if I remember. If that failed, my SA and camera would fall.  But it hasn't so far, but not used a lot over the last year since I got it.  I think I chose the mounting option that uses the tripod's East West movement to PA.

Yes I have a Horizon 8115.

I have been using the supplied pan tilt head, but the owner's manual states, for better polar alignment and ultimately longer subs, you need the official Star Adventurer wedge (which I've just ordered). I've removed the tripod head and it has a 1/4" mount screw. 

I use Astrobin as a good yardstick to see what any given setup is capable of, and when I last looked, there weren't many great 80mm+ aperture scope + Star Adventurer images to speak of...

YMMV

Amazon  used condition from the Wordery  - we’ll it said used but is mint condition never been opened in my view £8.94 BARGAIN 

The Caldwell objects

• Like 2

A good book that, had mine a few years. The author used a 4" refractor for most drawings and some of the drawings show so much detail because of the skies he observed from, far better than UK skies

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, philjay said:

A good book that, had mine a few years. The author used a 4" refractor for most drawings and some of the drawings show so much detail because of the skies he observed from, far better than UK skies

Accumulated three of his books now , I must say they look good pity I’m not allowed to get them until Xmas ?

I saw  S J O'M do a talk at Astrofest about 10 years ago. Very interesting 'The spokes in Saturns rings' if i recall.

I believe he's based in Hawaii now and does all his observing there........jammy so and so...!

• Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 13:33, 8472 said:

If you have the L bracket as seen in my setup photo, it has a long slot down the middle which allows polarscope adaptor fitment. The bracket does not obscure the polarscope view.

Yes, I have that L bracket. I see now. But why do you need an adapter, you just fit the glowing red thing in the hole. Aghh, but the L bracket is on, so gets in the way, yes?  The adaptor is to hold the red LED illuminator in the hole, which fits it through the L bracket slot, yes?

On 12/14/2017 at 13:48, 8472 said:

Yes I have a Horizon 8115.

I have been using the supplied pan tilt head, but the owner's manual states, for better polar alignment and ultimately longer subs, you need the official Star Adventurer wedge (which I've just ordered). I've removed the tripod head and it has a 1/4" mount screw. 

I use Astrobin as a good yardstick to see what any given setup is capable of, and when I last looked, there weren't many great 80mm+ aperture scope + Star Adventurer images to speak of...

YMMV

I've just realised, you haven't got the wedge on in the photo.  I have the wedge as part of the package.  But I still use pan to get the system close. In fact I can get it spot on just with the tripod pan adjuster. I use the SA wedge adjuster for the height up down. (latitude).

On 12/17/2017 at 23:05, Orion said:

Yes, I have that L bracket. I see now. But why do you need an adapter, you just fit the glowing red thing in the hole. Aghh, but the L bracket is on, so gets in the way, yes?  The adaptor is to hold the red LED illuminator in the hole, which fits it through the L bracket slot, yes?

I've just realised, you haven't got the wedge on in the photo.  I have the wedge as part of the package.  But I still use pan to get the system close. In fact I can get it spot on just with the tripod pan adjuster. I use the SA wedge adjuster for the height up down. (latitude).

I have now.

Initial impressions are that I have far more accuracy (and speed) in obtaining polar alignment., than with the pan and tilt. That only gets me somewhere in the ballpark.

After a little experimentation, I have managed a startrail-free 76s sub at a frivolous 720mm fl with the wedge. I've yet to seriously test my WO Z61 at the native 360mm with my latest purchase.

Got a mod or to in the pipline as we speak, too...

Mak 127mm incoming ,really early birthday (july) present ,bit premature ,buyer going to post after new year to avoid parcel back log ,seems cosha  had a quick google of his business ,put a small deposit down it`s the blue type . 

13 hours ago, 8472 said:

I have now.

Initial impressions are that I have far more accuracy (and speed) in obtaining polar alignment., than with the pan and tilt. That only gets me somewhere in the ballpark.

After a little experimentation, I have managed a startrail-free 76s sub at a frivolous 720mm fl with the wedge. I've yet to seriously test my WO Z61 at the native 360mm with my latest purchase.

Got a mod or to in the pipline as we speak, too...

I'm pleased to hear you say startrail - free 76 sec for a 720 mm FL.  You should get some excellent results and make a lot of progress, especially with the rapid polar alignment you've discovered with the Star Adventurer.  I think it's a great device.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have the same torch. It looks identical on the outside and has red and white LEDs and you can zoom and focus the beam from very wide to very narrow and extremely bright. I found the red beam too bright for general astro use. The white beam is incredible when walking the dogs. When focused to the narrow beam you can illuminate things half a mile away, and could probably blind yourself if you're not careful!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I think I have the same torch. It looks identical on the outside and has red and white LEDs and you can zoom and focus the beam from very wide to very narrow and extremely bright. I found the red beam too bright for general astro use. The white beam is incredible when walking the dogs. When focused to the narrow beam you can illuminate things half a mile away, and could probably blind yourself if you're not careful!  :thumbsup:

Mines only red ,damn 

I read some where that if your red light torch hasn't got a head band, make sure it tastes nice!! What flavour is yours?

Forgot to add this from Christmas. Purchased second hand.

Tele-vue Type 2 Paracorr (which stands for Parabola corrector)

and corrects for Coma present in fast Newtonians. Mine is an F4.

24668746497_d75911984d_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 3

Nothing so exotic in my Christmas purchases. :)

Second-hand 25mm Kellner, 26mm Erfle and Baader 2.25x barlow/helical focuser. New 27mm SW Extra Flat and three 62 degree Aspheric eyepieces. Eyepiece guru Bill Paolini reviewed these $10 Aspheric eyepieces and said they provided a very well corrected image far beyond what their price might indicate, especially the 23mm. The aspheric (weirdly curved) lenses are plastic and the word is that they perform great, but can have the problem that cleaning the plastic lenses can remove parts of the coatings. Maybe that doesn't matter if you get good use out of them for a couple of years then throw them in the bin and buy new $10 disposable eyepieces. I paid £18 for the three of them! They are light as a feather and are apparently good in binoviewers where you don't want to hang too much extra weight off the end of the scope. 

20180106_184936s.jpg?raw=1

Aspheric lens, non spherical curves...

aspheric.png?raw=1

• Like 1