• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

On 31/01/2018 at 13:31, Bino-viewer said:

Wifi dongle thingy....

If i can negotiate amicability between mount & wifi dongle thingy (big if)

i'm hoping to be able to have the option of controlling my new mount with my iPhone (8+) with SkySafari app (v6)

Purchased second hand from a chap on SGL at a bargain basement price. Its never been used either.

26130578308_93c002a742_c.jpg39293268344_8d99f12826_c.jpg

You should have no problems with this I’m using the SkyWatcher WiFi adaptor and managed with to get it talking to SkySafari 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2018 at 18:05, Bottletopburly said:

shopping trip to Springfields spalding today with a quick divert to my mates house pick up my two telescopes a 200pds and a 130pds both fitted with a telrad base so that's handy  and saves having to purchase two telrad bases ,and they are in mint condition like new :D best buy one get one free deal  i have ever had,  small fix to be done on the 130 pds ,that's a seperate post 

IMG_0252.JPG

2 Newtonians.......one a 130, the other a 200. 

I can sense a potential case of 'Aperture fever' coming on in the not too distant future ! ;)

Thanks alec :)

I'd like to think as both SkySafari and this Wifi dongle thingy are made by the same people (Simulation Cirriculum) 

I'll be ok with it.

I'm told my mount is compatible, but to make sure i will take it to Astrofest this Friday and have a chat with Neils Haagh from TTS

With a bit of luck he can show me how to set it up there and then at the show.

I'm puzzled as to why there is a need for 2 leads with the old style serial port interface in the middle ?

Couldn't it be set up with a short RS 232 ? from the mount to a USB into the Wifi module ?

Anyone know if this would work ??

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

2 Newtonians.......one a 130, the other a 200. 

I can sense a potential case of 'Aperture fever' coming on in the not too distant future ! ;)

do i have a serious case is it cureable ,how long does it last :rofl:

No cure for it David, a life long affliction, usually accompanied by a nervous tick near bigger scopes than yours! :blink:

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BAZ said:

No cure for it David, a life long affliction, usually accompanied by a nervous tick near bigger scopes than yours! :blink:

:help:

17 hours ago, BAZ said:

I reckon there are a few of us here who could start a self help group, like alcoholics anonymous, and get together on a regular basis to bare our souls and expose our deepest thoughts and fears about this vicious circle we find ourselves in.

We'd probably just spur ourselves on to even greater ladder heights to reach that eyepiece. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well, that is a really good bit of kit. It is fairly easy to set up and I have even managed to connect it to Sky Safari + without too much of a struggle. I am quite impressed at the moment, it will need a night under the stars to really give it a work out, but I'll have to let you know on that one.

• Like 3

Hmm, thats interesting Martyn. I see it works with pc running ascom as well, cant abide phone planetarium apps  sooner use my skymap pro. I may invest in one.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice bit of vintage glass came through the post today!

20180222_190921.thumb.jpg.56b66ccb45aba1600160c0a677a5133e.jpg

Also the essential infinity M42 to EF adaptor ring to go with it.

• Like 2

Yes Phil, early indications are very positive and in terrestrial use, the bokeh looks fantastic to my novice eyes. 

Seems news has spread that they are pretty decent once adapted to a modern dslr and used prices seem to have skyrocketed in recent years as a result of this.

Still the fraction of the price of a new prime Canon, though, so I'm chuffed!

The present cost of Canon lenses is getting crazy : i agree.

I brought a 16-35 F4 and a 135 & 200 soon after i got my 6D only 18 months ago.

And all 3 lenses have increased in price by about 50% compared to what i paid for mine late summer 2016.

Edited by Bino-viewer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying Lunar observing more & more, so its time to chase down the 'Lunar 100' :)

40574299822_97cf4048ef_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 3

Got that, and signed, it's brilliant. You have got to love Mr. Blobby Hey Steve. Oh, you don't do that! :D

One last thing....

From Raytown, Missouri USA......

I can't resist an astro gadget :)

Forced air cooling for my SCT C9.25 scope.

The 'Cat-cooler' from Lymax astronomy. 

http://www.lymax.com/#purchase

It inserts into the back of the scope, feeding all the way down the baffle tube, and brings cool air into the scope whilst allowing the warmer air inside to flow out.

It is fully filtered and runs off a simple USB battery cell.

They say it will do its thing in 10-20 mins, instead of the usual 1 - 2 hours if you were to let the scope stabilise on its own.

And if you were wondering, this design will of course only work on a standard SCT / Maksutov design.

ie Not an 'Edge' or Meade ACF desigh which has correcting lenses in the baffle tube.

25745899787_95f5a842bb_z.jpg40616070541_92afbe6386_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

3 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm enjoying Lunar observing more & more, so its time to chase down the 'Lunar 100' :)

40574299822_97cf4048ef_z.jpg

Just waiting for my copy to be delivered, seems there might be a few trying the luna 100 this year.

Edited by tuckstar

On 04/03/2018 at 19:31, Bino-viewer said:

One last thing....

From Raytown, Missouri USA......

I can't resist an astro gadget :)

Forced air cooling for my SCT C9.25 scope.

The 'Cat-cooler' from Lymax astronomy. 

http://www.lymax.com/#purchase

It inserts into the back of the scope, feeding all the way down the baffle tube, and brings cool air into the scope whilst allowing the warmer air inside to flow out.

It is fully filtered and runs off a simple USB battery cell.

They say it will do its thing in 10-20 mins, instead of the usual 1 - 2 hours if you were to let the scope stabilise on its own.

And if you were wondering, this design will of course only work on a standard SCT / Maksutov design.

ie Not an 'Edge' or Meade ACF desigh which has correcting lenses in the baffle tube.

25745899787_95f5a842bb_z.jpg40616070541_92afbe6386_z.jpg

Have you had a chance to use the above yet? Has it made a noticeable difference?

Well after a while out of the game but a lot of gear not getting used I have sold the Planeta and bought the following:

Celestron C9.25 XLT (Fastar version)

Moonlite CS Dual-Speed SCT Crayford in Black 

Moonlite Motor Attachment Bracket 

ADM Losmandy Dovetail for Optical Tubes 

Am also on the lookout for a Televue 2x Powermate if anyone knows anyone. I am also loving the look of Rob's Lymax Cat cooler. I think it will work okay with new C9.25. 

Hi Felix. 

No, not had much chance yet.

The usual toxic combination of work (i work earlies, then lates) and clouds has scuppered that one.

The Cat cooler will work fine in any cat EXCEPT the Celestron 'Edge' range which has correcting lenses in the baffle tube.

You also order to fit your specific OTA. For eg mine is for a C9.25 so would be too long for a C8 or C6 (it would hit the secondary)

The other 'additions' i have purchased for my own scope are

A Baader quicklock thingy.

A T2 to SCT short (10mm) connector for the binoviewer

A feathertouch focuser to replace the standard one.

A padded SCT bag from FLO

(I also own a 2x Powermate (and the 4x) but i'm sorry, they are not for sale ;))