• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Just ordered this handy adapter...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Explore-Scientific-to-Orion-Vixen-Finder-Adapter-w-shipping-to-United-Kingdom/273091350329?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Scopestuff also do the "other way round" version to fit an ES/Meade finder to a Synta/Skywatcher base.

I already have a 3D printed "other way round" version. I have a mixture of different makes of scopes and finders, so I will now be able to mix and match at will. ?

es2synta.jpg?raw=1

Had a very enjoyable morning out with SmithySteve on a visit to our local candy store, Rother Valley Optics. ?

Bought one of these. Explore Scientific HRCC...

es-hrcc02-2s.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Tweedledee

Just received the following eyepieces to add to my collection.

A 4mm Clave'

A 8mm Clave' 

A 10mm Clave' 

The 8mm and 10mm are side marked, so now i have the full side marked collection of 8,10,& 12mm. Apparently these were made in 1982 and only 100 of each were made so they are pretty rare.

J6107g.jpg

The three side marked Clave's together.

LTaSGX.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice Mick. ?

It would be good to see a pic of your full set of Claves.

21 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Very nice Mick. ?

It would be good to see a pic of your full set of Claves.

Will do Pete.

Not been to RVO in a while. Is Adam still there.....?

Any Tak gear on display......? Did you have a drool....? ?

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Not been to RVO in a while. Is Adam still there.....?

Any Tak gear on display......? Did you have a drool....? ?

Adam was there, as always in the sharp suit, waistcoat and tie ? Adam and Ian are always very friendly and helpful.

Locked away in the glass cabinets are some smaller Tak apos and a lot of Tak eyepieces. Although the Tak stuff is obviously top quality, it wasn't quite big enough to have me drooling, especially the little eyepieces. I'm just a heathen! ?

• Haha 1

Had a frustrating collimation session on the 14" the other night. Just couldn't get a good repeatable result. I'd get the laser dot all perfectly centred, take out the laser, put it back, check again and the dot was well adrift every time I checked. So I ordered a Hotech 2" SCA. This is self centering, no need to tighten the thumbscrew and twist it off centre. It also has the laser cross for easier use. Looking forward to trying this ?

hotech_sca_laser_collimator_1.jpg?raw=1

Bought this old wooden box, as you can see it has a lift out tray which will have holes drilled in so I can put my new eyepieces in. Lots of spare room underneath for all your accesorries you collect.

9B8FVX.jpg

p36A6f.jpg

VIiHiR.jpg

JBrf9B.jpg

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Bought this old wooden box, as you can see it has a lift out tray which will have holes drilled in so I can put my new eyepieces in. Lots of spare room underneath for all your accesorries you collect.

9B8FVX.jpg

p36A6f.jpg

VIiHiR.jpg

JBrf9B.jpg

Somewhere there’s a link to a company that will make bespoke foam to fit your eyepieces will see if I can track it down 

3 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Had a frustrating collimation session on the 14" the other night. Just couldn't get a good repeatable result. I'd get the laser dot all perfectly centred, take out the laser, put it back, check again and the dot was well adrift every time I checked. So I ordered a Hotech 2" SCA. This is self centering, no need to tighten the thumbscrew and twist it off centre. It also has the laser cross for easier use. Looking forward to trying this ?

hotech_sca_laser_collimator_1.jpg?raw=1

I have the standard laser  collimator   I’ve never been happy with it’s results and always end up using the Cheshire collimator , think it would help if the focuser was rock solid , stock SW are a bit naff 

That looks like the perfect box to compliment your Claves Mick. ?

Maybe some sort of foam filled lid lining covered in a nice velvet type material in a mauve or burgundy colour could be an idea to keep them sitting in the holes during transit. ?

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

I have the standard laser  collimator   I’ve never been happy with it’s results and always end up using the Cheshire collimator , think it would help if the focuser was rock solid , stock SW are a bit naff 

My Orion (US) focuser doesn't move the laser dot while racking in and out, except for the tiniest jiggle from turning the focuser knob. That jiggle is probably less than a quarter of a millimetre despite the relatively long optical path (2 times the 1650mm focal length).

My problem comes from tightening the focuser thumbscrew on the laser, which changes its angle every time so I can't get repeatable results. The Hotech's self centering adapter should solve that. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

34 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

That looks like the perfect box to compliment your Claves Mick. ?

Maybe some sort of foam filled lid lining covered in a nice velvet type material in a mauve or burgundy colour could be an idea to keep them sitting in the holes during transit. ?

Couldn't agree more.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

9B8FVX.jpg

p36A6f.jpg

VIiHiR.jpg

JBrf9B.jpg

Found it https://www.mycasebuilder.eu/

6 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

That casebuilder site is quite good and lets you design your case in an online CAD type application. I found that their library of eyepieces is rather limited, though it does contain a small but incomplete selection of Televue, Explore Scientific and a couple of other makes. I emailed them to see if they could add other eyepieces to their library at my request, but their reply was "only if I could loan them my eyepieces so they could measure them". That would mean a trip to, or posting them to, the Netherlands!!! You can try and draw-in other eyepieces on their CAD program, but you need to know what you are doing to get them accurate, eyepieces can be very awkward shapes.

Here's another more local company...

https://www.trifibre.co.uk/

These people are in Leicester and can supply the CNC cut foam only and many different cases as well.

They were very friendly when I phoned them and explained what I was looking for, and told me I should pop in with all my eyepieces and they would photograph, measure them accurately and cut the foam to suit while I waited. I think I need a fairly sizeable case. ?

• Like 2

Mick, the casebuilder library has all of your Delos and your Nagler 31, but no Claves. But I think you already have an excellent case fitted out with your Televues.

8 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

That casebuilder site is quite good and lets you design your case in an online CAD type application. I found that their library of eyepieces is rather limited, though it does contain a small but incomplete selection of Televue, Explore Scientific and a couple of other makes. I emailed them to see if they could add other eyepieces to their library at my request, but their reply was "only if I could loan them my eyepieces so they could measure them". That would mean a trip to, or posting them to, the Netherlands!!! You can try and draw-in other eyepieces on their CAD program, but you need to know what you are doing to get them accurate, eyepieces can be very awkward shapes.

Here's another more local company...

https://www.trifibre.co.uk/

These people are in Leicester and can supply the CNC cut foam only and many different cases as well.

They were very friendly when I phoned them and explained what I was looking for, and told me I should pop in with all my eyepieces and they would photograph, measure them accurately and cut the foam to suit while I waited. I think I need a fairly sizeable case. ?

Local company is better nice find Pete  easier to pop to Leicester than the Netherlands 

On 10/05/2018 at 06:44, Bottletopburly said:

Local company is better nice find Pete  easier to pop to Leicester than the Netherlands 

They all know how to charge for these one-off custom jobs. ££££

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

They all know how to charge for these one-off custom jobs. ££££

The name of that company rings a bell for some reason ,think my company used them in the past 

• 2 weeks later...

4 new eyepieces coming my way.......!

Its been a couple of years or more since i treated myself, and they were Baader zooms which i didn't like and sold.

Firstly a pair of Edmund Optics RKE 28s

Well.......it should have been a pair, but they only sent me one ! ☹️

Not impressed !!

41575802834_5cbccd7020_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

I've used this eyepiece in the past Rob and found my copy was very poor around the edge of the field stop, let me know if your example is as well.

Hi Mick.

I've not had chance to use it in the field yet, i'll wait for its partner to arrive first.

Looking through it it looks clean and sharp to the edge.