• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

On Amazon you can get it at various prices from £35 to £194 delivered! Mine was the last one at £28 with free delivery new. ?

It is a really nice book and definitely worth the lower end of the price range, but some prices are totally ridiculous.

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That looks very interesting David.

Cannot wait till you get it fitted and working.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a nice little 80mm F5 with a 2" focuser. Also in transit is a Teleskop Service 2" 32mm 70degree wide angle illuminated reticle eyepiece which should give a very pleasant 24mm of eye relief. Coming from Malta is a neat little Azzomat mount.

The Azzomat mount is a great alternative to fiddling with six alignment screws on your average finder. Just two controls which allow left/right and up/down adjustment for quick precise alignment, and while you're fiddling, there is no chance that the scope can come loose or slip out. It is very small and lightweight compared to other similar guidescope type mounts, yet is still rated for carrying up to 4kg.

I intend to couple these items with my 2" Baader erect image prism diagonal to provide a right angle correct image superfinder with a wide FOV for the dob. Hopefully it will also prove to be a nice rich field travelscope using some of my eps that are almost bigger than the scope.

Looking to upgrade it to an 80mm apo with a dual speed focuser. I kicked myself for just missing out on a s/h Orion 80mm F6 carbon fibre apo triplet with dual speed focuser that was going for a great price on ABS.AR80S5G2-3-594x273%20(1).jpg?raw=1

15346813638868762572174190639226.jpg?raw

15346852847664039883563929162049.jpg?raw

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Nice treat ?

I like these little luxurys David. The average 6x30 just doesn't do anything for me. ?

18 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

I like these little luxurys David. The average 6x30 just doesn't do anything for me. ?

I’m more of a  Apt platesolving type of guy now from the warmth of the shed ? 

Incoming   last book i wanted other than southern gems which i won't need https://www.bookdepository.com/Deep-Sky-Companions--Hidden-Treasures/9780521837040 i highly recommend these books as reference books and hidden treasures dropped to £27 delivered ,not a bad price   

james omera Capture

Nice collection David. ?

I have the Secret Deep, Hidden Treasures and The Herschel 400: An Observing Guide.

They are my favourites because I like the way O'Meara writes.

The Herschel 400 is written in a shorter style to the others as it has a lot of objects to cover, but fills most of the gaps. It is a larger book that has just one or two objects per page with a table of info, a wide field finder view, a b&w photo, general description, directions, and a quick view describing what he saw using what scope. I can thoroughly recommend it if you don't already have it.

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

Nice collection David. ?

I have the Secret Deep, Hidden Treasures and The Herschel 400: An Observing Guide.

They are my favourites because I like the way O'Meara writes.

The Herschel 400 is written in a shorter style to the others as it has a lot of objects to cover, but fills most of the gaps. It is a larger book that has just one or two objects per page with a table of info, a wide field finder view, a b&w photo, general description, directions, and a quick view describing what he saw using what scope. I can thoroughly recommend it if you don't already have it.

I will put that on my to get list pete, thanks for highlighting that book ,had a peek at it on amazon looks good .

First slightly chilly day today.

Ordered a new heated gillet ready for the cold nights since my old Blazewear one stopped working.

It has very good independent reviews, but what I really liked about this one is, that not only does it have good insulation, heaters on the chest and back, it seems to be the only one with a heated high collar to keep my neck warm. ?

With three heat settings with the lowest lasting up to 10 hours, it should be good for winter dog walks as well as observing. ❄️

What's that word - nesh? ?

15353195238285685976142616996004.jpg?raw

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2018 at 16:38, tuckstar said:

Birthday present ordered. Baader zeiss 1.25 90° AMICI prism, click stop eyepiece holder and nose piece. Just for the little zeiss and some correct image luna 100 hunting. Amazing what you can get for £50!!!!!??

Well, 6 weeks waiting for this from a local supplier to then be told another 3 weeks!!!! Order cancelled and ordered from Germany instead, arrived in a few days, of course while I was at kelling, but finally here.

2018-09-10_12-29-11

• Like 3

I too like correct image viewing. Saves doing mental somersaults when finding stuff and comparing star fields with star maps. ?

18 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I too like correct image viewing. Saves doing mental somersaults when finding stuff and comparing star fields with star maps. ?

Even more important when your scope doesn't have a finder!!

Gone and pressed the button on SkySafari 6 Pro. Ye Gods it's big. I have been messing about with it and it seems OK, I'll let you know when I have had chance to properly use it in the field so to speak. Some of the reviews don't appear too positive, but they can be subjective I suppose.

If you download it to your phone, make sure you have WiFi on as it will whoop your data.

• Like 2

I downloaded the plus version as it was half price. But not had a proper look at it yet. Shame you can't swap over your settings from previous versions.

5 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Even more important when your scope doesn't have a finder!!

Yes, I don't always need a finder now my 6" refractor gives a 4 degree true field of view with the big 3" eyepiece. ?

4 hours ago, BAZ said:

Gone and pressed the button on SkySafari 6 Pro. Ye Gods it's big. I have been messing about with it and it seems OK, I'll let you know when I have had chance to properly use it in the field so to speak. Some of the reviews don't appear too positive, but they can be subjective I suppose.

If you download it to your phone, make sure you have WiFi on as it will whoop your data.

I will have to have a look at this SkySafari 6 Pro. If I've read the website correctly I can subscribe to LiveSky and use SS 6 Pro on Windows. ?

31 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Apparently Pete, there is Livesky on it. I haven't got that far yet.  

You are correct Martyn, but I think you will find that you only get the data/records transfer across devices on the free bundled version. You only get the maps/planetarium software across other operating systems if you subscribe to the Premium LiveSky at $9.99 for the first year and $19.99 after.

Sounds good value too me, to be able to have it all on Windows as well. The other way to use it on Windows would be by installing Bluestacks, which emulates Android on Windows. I think Bluestacks has its limitations though, so you wouldn't quite get the full functionality. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

I too have downloaded SkySafari 6 Pro.

After about 3 hours on it I'm really not as impressed as I expected to be. ☹️

Interesting, I am fairly new to these app based planetarium programs and fairly slow to get to grips with them, usually being comfortable just as they stop support for them.

I do intend to use this for more than just the coordinates that I have previously used it for, so I was expecting it to be an improvement on good old Stellarium and the SS5 plus.

I was intending to go back to my old paper logs and input them all into this.