• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

8 hours ago, BAZ said:

Interesting, I am fairly new to these app based planetarium programs and fairly slow to get to grips with them, usually being comfortable just as they stop support for them.

I do intend to use this for more than just the coordinates that I have previously used it for, so I was expecting it to be an improvement on good old Stellarium and the SS5 plus.

I was intending to go back to my old paper logs and input them all into this.

Looking further into it I'm sure you'll like it Martyn. SS 6 Pro looks like it should be a really good program and probably better than Stellarium.

It seems that it is not optimised for my device, which is very disappointing. Some features won't work properly, some dialog boxes just don't show and customization is extremely limited. On talking to the Google technical department today, it would appear that my 3 year old 10" tablet is now ready for the bin and won't run a lot of apps properly!

So I will go to Currys and buy a  new tablet that will hopefully last another 3 years, and give SS 6 Pro another try.

I have put it on my Lenovo cheepy tablet, which doesn't have accelerometers or a compass, but still shows the important stuff and allows me to log objects under observation lists. On my Android phone though it works very well and seems to be aimed more at the phone market.

I hope you get it sorted out. There's enough to keep even you going for a bit, there's catalogues listed I haven't even heard of and around 25 million stars apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to aid my quest to keep toasty warm whilst observing in winter, I've bought some heated fingerless electric gloves. If it's really cold they can also go under my fingerless mitts with a flap over section that will keep my finger tips warm when I'm not fiddling with anything. I have several rechargeable pocket sized power banks they can plug into via usb, from 5 amphour to 20 amphour. Should keep them hot all night.

Will just have to prevent the wires tangling with the ones from my other electric clothing. ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Obbomed-MH-1020-Composite-Heating-Stretchy/dp/B076SL3GV9

My heated gillet with heated collar posted about previously is absolutely superb...

https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/57-latest-purchases/?do=findComment&comment=149766

I can thoroughly recommend it apart from one small aspect. It switches on and changes settings by pressing a switch pad on the left side of the chest. The switch pad is very neat and works great, but it lights up. It flashes red for 5 minutes on warm-up, then high is constant red, medium is white and low is blue. It is quite bright, and in the dark, the glow even shines through most other coats worn on top.

It can be a little embarrassing walking round looking like Iron Man with a glowing ARC reactor in my chest!! ?

• 2 weeks later...

Not solely for astro but it'll certainly find itself pointed at the Moon as well as trying on a few other objects.

Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary  (Canon fit)

81o6z3YrNZL._SL1500_.jpg

Heading over to Snowdonia National park for 3 days on Sunday evening .... hoping to get some clear days/nights to try it out.

• Like 2

Nice one Alastair let me know what it is like. I'm buying either the new Sigma 150-600 or the Tamron 150-600 just can't make up my mind. Hopefully buying in the new year if I can make my mind up.

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Nice one Alastair let me know what it is like. I'm buying either the new Sigma 150-600 or the Tamron 150-600 just can't make up my mind. Hopefully buying in the new year if I can make my mind up.

I was looking at the same 2 lenses.  I asked around and it seems there is very little difference in performance.

Of those I asked the replies were kind of predictable - Tamron owners recommended Tamron and Sigma owners prefered Sigma!

I watched a couple of videos comparing both (none were for astrophotography) and again there wasn't much between the two.
Tamron won out in a couple of areas and Sigma in others.  

I seem to remember seeing a review that said the Tamron was slightly better doing some extreme pixel peeping, but overall the conclusions were that both are good very lenses for the money.

As with many zoom lenses (and my Tamron 70-300mm) the focus can be a little soft at full zoom.  
The Sigma does have an optional docking station that allows some tinkering with various settings, including autofocus and firmware upgrades - but I've not looked at that too closely (yet).

What I did see was that there seemed to be very little support for the Sigma Sport version over the Contemporary version.
Pretty much all agreed that the big price jump and big increase in lens weight wasn't worth it in terms of any performance increase. 

Apart from astro stuff on a tripod & Astrotrac I'll be using mine for when out and about in the Welsh hills and I've seen images using both lenses - and I'd be happy getting either.
As there was so little difference I decided on the cheaper of the two (tight git!) - from the quick look I've had, I'm very happy.

The autofocus speed is a big improvement over my Tamron 70-100mm, as is the stabilization control options when panning - 2 things I will be using!

From what I've read the Sigma is very front heavy, so that may be a pain to carry around  a lot. The Tamron also has a dock called Tap-In which focus points can be changed etc. I'm edging towards the Tamron as it's lighter.

• Like 1

I'll be at the IAS this Friday Mick.

WEX Photographic will be there i expect......I could price you one up...??

They may have stuff on offer for the trade show ?

I'm looking at a couple of lenses myself.

Cheers Graham.

I normally buy all my cameras and lenses from Panamoz, brilliant prices, long warrenties and never had a problem.

The Tamron out of stock at the moment though.

https://panamoz.com/

I've had a chance to try out the Sigma 150-600mm up the hills in Wales over the last few days.

Didn't get a chance to do any astro (that'll have to wait until our next visit in a couple of weeks) but did get some fast moving stuff.

Posted images in Martyn's Coffee Shop to save filling up this topic (especially as they're non-astro) -

Here: https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/15096-non-astro-images-sigma-150-600mm-mach-loop/

The autofocus seemed to cope really well at longer distances, it also managed to keep the fast moving stuff in focus - although my panning technique at closer range needs to get a bit better!

Overall I'm very happy with the lens for the stuff I've tried it out on.  It's a huge step up from my Tamron 70-300mm.

I doubt there is much between this and the equivalent Tamron lens - From what I've read I think the zoom on the Tamron works the opposite way to Canon lenses, but that's something 

that should be quick to get used to.

I've also heard the zoom on the Tamron is the oppsosite to normal, but as you say should be easy to get on with. What did you think of the weight was it a pain to carry all day?

The weight difference was certainly noticeable, especially toward the end of the day. 

However, it wasn't enough to cause any real problems. 

I had the camera around my neck walking up & down this hill (from the carpark in the shot) also carrying a backpack and tent - my legs were hurting more than my neck!

ixus_0616a.jpg

That said I have ordered a new camera strap as having it hanging around my neck from about 9am to 5pm did eventually become uncomfortable.

I've also ordered a new camera bag as my current one won't take the camera with the Sigma attached

Finally (finally) i got round to treating myself to a UHC filter.

I don't have a particularly good track record with filters, so we'll have to see how this one goes.

This was one of my purchases from last weeks IAS, and was purchased from Adam of RVO. 

I'll be using it in the 300mm OO dob using the binoviewers in built filterslide.

Also got a CLS to go in my camera.

45340425852_7ca6bde8c3_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

What we got here then........?

It looks 'Tele-vue-esque' ?

44477308105_27ef41a2a6_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

Treated myself to a Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens. Wow what a beast, heavier then I thought and will take some getting use to, but I'm looking forward to the learning curve.

LtU6t8.jpg

Not a Tele-vue eyepiece.

I have Pete to thank for this.

I've always wanted a good quality illuminated reticule eyepiece.

I've had a couple over the years and one was so poor that i actually threw it away.

I've finally found a good one.

It ticks all the right boxes.

Laser etched reticule, wide field and bags of eye relief. Also a nicely implemented separate screw in illuminator.

I decided on the 26mm version (same price) and if i want more magnification i have Powermate options.

I'll be using it to help with my initial alignments with both of my Alt-az mounts.

This was not an IAS purchase btw, but rather from TS in Germany. Arrived in 3 days.

45391420641_63d357619e_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Not a Tele-vue eyepiece.

I have Pete to thank for this.

I've always wanted a good quality illuminated reticule eyepiece.

I've had a couple over the years and one was so poor that i actually threw it away.

I've finally found a good one.

It ticks all the right boxes.

Laser etched reticule, wide field and bags of eye relief. Also a nicely implemented separate screw in illuminator.

I decided on the 26mm version (same price) and if i want more magnification i have Powermate options.

I'll be using it to help with my initial alignments with both of my Alt-az mounts.

This was not an IAS purchase btw, but rather from TS in Germany. Arrived in 3 days.

I have the 32mm 70 degree cross hair version, and it is a nice eyepiece to view with in its own right. You'll enjoy the 26mm for good wide views and superb eye relief, very easy and pleasant to look through. ?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a secondhand 70-210mm zoom lens on ebay, but when it arrived, I found that the zoom was very free, and suffered slippage when tilted even slightly so wouldn't hold its zoom setting. Apparently this is a common problem with S/H Canon zooms. Sent it back for a refund.

Just won a good deal on ebay for an even wider range new 75-300mm Canon zoom lens for wide field astrophotography. ?