• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

Couldn't stand waiting any more. Proceeds from my Lu070m have just gone on

Astronomik Ha 12nm EOS Clip Filter

Astronomik CLS EOS Clip Filter

One more purchase to go then I'm spent up again ..... :D

Guest Kheldar

With no help from Daz this time ;)

Gerd Neumann Aurora EL Panel 220mm (direct from Gerd, nice chap!)

That's it, I'm now broke :(

Apart from the fact I need to source a banana socket to cigar plug adaptor as the 220mm can't be run from an AC inverter :(

Oh dear - you think there hadn't been a Christmas - just got an AZ4-2 grab and go mount for when my back's to knackered to get the heavyweight stuff out. Trouble is there's a 24mm Panoptic which just fills my range in nicely - had to be had as well lol :)

Congrats on the recent purchases Kim. Not really 100% certain as to what they all are but they sound fantastic!

I need to get saving! Kim what is your personal view in the revelation eyepiece set or the celestron eyepiece set?

Im just thinking budget eyepieces for the moment I don't have the disposable cash for televues what with the wedding and all the expenses that entails! Do you think that either of Those sets eyepieces will be any better than he ones that come as standard with the 200p?

Thanks

Felix

I have the revelation set Felix, they're very good for the money and a worthwhile investment.

Getting the entire set allowed me to figure out which were my favourite eyepieces (32mm & 20mm) so now I know what good eyepieces to invest in, in the future.

Thanks craig. I am looking into having a go with the celestron set at the moment. I will see how I get on with that and perhaps take it from there.

I also recently purchased the Sky and Telescope star atlas :)

Guest Kheldar

Oh dear - you think there hadn't been a Christmas - just got an AZ4-2 grab and go mount for when my back's to knackered to get the heavyweight stuff out. Trouble is there's a 24mm Panoptic which just fills my range in nicely - had to be had as well lol :)

You're as bad as me! Or I'm as bad as you ... :D

Should probably add (though it was discussed in the shoutbox) I crumbled like the (insert random European country here :P) and bought

Altair Astro 8" f4 Imaging Newtonian.

Shame I already have three mods that "need" to be made to it .....

And I might have to sell a kidney now as there's a "gap" (200x ish) in my EP range due to the shorter focal length .....

Edited by Kheldar

Well Felix - you could allways slip a few TV eyepieces on the wedding gift list - then you'd find out who your real friends are lol :)

Lol Kim! I think people may think I am taking the proverbial if I did that! Ha ha!

How will the eye pieces in these kits compare quality wise with the ones the came with my scope (Skywatcher Skymax 127)? You seem to get a lot of options with the Celestron EyeOpener Eyepiece/Filter accessory kit and at around £40 more than the Revelation sets are they worth that little extra ££?

Cheers, Dan

I don't think that the extra pounds for the celestron set is worth it, revelation set is just if not alittle better, they are very good starter sets especially the 32 mm, 25 mm and 20 mm ones

Just got a couple of books which as a neewbie I would suggest are a very good read. Clear, concise and full of useful info

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide by Dickinson and Dyer

Nightwatch - A practical guide to viewing the universe

Wooohooo the AZ4 arrived tonight - cracking little mount - and a bracket for attaching cameras too - very sturdy on 1.75" dia legs and clutches that make panning up/down and left/right a breeze. And it holds the gear rock solid when at rest with no discernable vibration at all. It's alt/az but very versatile and takes the Meg72 (quite heavy for a small appo) with ease. Just need a clear night now :)

Sorry I missed that Damian - did you have it in the For Sale section? I got mine as part of a package with a very nice 24mm Panoptic too from the same chap so no worries :)