• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

3 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Christmas came early. ?

Think I have everything I need now except possibly a Polemaster. Nice dealings with RVO ?...

20181114_141522-1512x2016.jpg?raw=1

Very nice Pete ?? Maybe worth trying sharpcap PolarAlign for a tenner if your guider is suitable to use does exactly the same job but cheaper than a polemaster , fear we may have clouds for a few weeks though ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tis no good in the boxes. 

Get it set up and running ? 

Nice feeling when they all turn up isn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

Very nice Pete ?? Maybe worth trying sharpcap PolarAlign for a tenner if your guider is suitable to use does exactly the same job but cheaper than a polemaster , fear we may have clouds for a few weeks though ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

Thanks. ?

Will look on YouTube to see how Sharpcap Polar Align works, I didn't know that was an option.

Will it not work with any guider? Mine's an Altair GPCAM 0130 mono on an Altair 60mm Guidescope.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Tis no good in the boxes. 

Get it set up and running ? 

Nice feeling when they all turn up isn't. 

It is all coming out bit-by-bit.

Yes, it is always exciting stuff getting new kit. ?

The AZEQ5 is lighter than I expected, which is good, and I don't intend to load it up anywhere near capacity.

Just got this book. It is the most beautiful astronomy book I've ever seen. It is big, and covers every Messier object in great detail. It is lavishly illustrated and so well laid out with the best images, drawings, historical and discovery info, astrophysics etc, etc. Thoroughly recommend it. ?

AtlasMessier.jpg?raw=1

6 hours ago, Streetbob said:

That looks exciting. Will you be able to wait until Xmas day?

No way. But my wife has bought me four other books off my Amazon wish list which will be wrapped for Xmas.

9 hours ago, Graham said:

That looks really interesting. 

Where did you find that. 

It was second-hand from RVO, but is just like new.

The book is currently out-of-print.

You've probably seen the ridiculous s/h prices on Amazon!

I nearly snapped Adams hand off when he said £20, and could probably make a tidy profit, but this really is a keeper. ?

Just bought one of those nice little 50 dollar Explore Scientific 80mm F6 carbon fibre apo triplets with hard case and ES 0.7x reducer/corrector! ?

Hopefully it should be a bit better than my achromats for imaging, and with a big eyepiece, might be nice for some colour corrected visual.

3 hours ago, newtyng5 said:

Not completely astronomy related.

2ZVpH5x.jpg

I think that's going to do a lovely job displaying Stellarium. ??

On 17/11/2018 at 18:58, Tweedledee said:

Just bought one of those nice little 50 dollar Explore Scientific 80mm F6 carbon fibre apo triplets with hard case and ES 0.7x reducer/corrector! ?

Hopefully it should be a bit better than my achromats for imaging, and with a big eyepiece, might be nice for some colour corrected visual.

Photos please Pete.......i rather like refractors ??

3 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Photos please Pete.......i rather like refractors ??

Photos coming soon Rob. I should get it on Wednesday. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Even more wires keep arriving!

Where will it all end? Think they'll now stretch right down to the end of my street!! ?

Doesn't anyone make wireless dew control? ?

20181201_164206-2016x1512s.jpg?raw=1

3 hours ago, BAZ said:

I don't know much about it, but this site should be helpful Pete!

https://www.loveknitting.com/beginner-knitting-patterns

Some very colourful and stylish ideas there, thanks Martyn. ?

I can just imagine this starting a whole new trend with all manner of eyepiece, objective and finder warmers. Perhaps even replacement objective caps and fully fitted multicolour woollen scope jackets. Might suggest that RVO start stocking a full range of sizes. ?

Ready for Wirtanen, (assuming it puts on a show), just ordered a 25mm F1.4 lens for a massive wide field that should show the Hyades, the Pleiades and the comet between them. ?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Had another delivery of Pavle’s autofocus unit AF1 https://deepskydad.com/  turn up , £115 in the sale ,quite a bit smaller than the  first unit I have , and managed to find two bugs in the software, Pavle has now corrected those very quickly ? so this will go on the 130pds 

Denkmeier D14 pair.....

31815409587_bd198c31f5_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 3

I decided I needed something small and simple (yes I know it suits me!) to mount my 102mm refractor that doesn't involve spending ages polar aligning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejfi49o65r76cks/IMG_0250.JPG?dl=0

This is very small, only weighs 1.03kg without CB weights (3.23kg all told).  It holds the scope firmly, which weighs 6.5kg with heaviest ep.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zfaqvkpmq5h9aw/IMG_0251.JPG?dl=0

Amazingly the day it arrived there was a window of clear sky so I was able to give it a try out.

So easy to set up; smooth accurate movement to objects and any vibration damped.

And not only that I like the colour.

• Like 3

A well built Alt-az is a pleasure to use Doug.

I would like to see more....

Could you post a bit more about it in the 'Mount section' ?

10 hours ago, Streetbob said:

I decided I needed something small and simple (yes I know it suits me!) to mount my 102mm refractor that doesn't involve spending ages polar aligning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejfi49o65r76cks/IMG_0250.JPG?dl=0

This is very small, only weighs 1.03kg without CB weights (3.23kg all told).  It holds the scope firmly, which weighs 6.5kg with heaviest ep.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zfaqvkpmq5h9aw/IMG_0251.JPG?dl=0

Amazingly the day it arrived there was a window of clear sky so I was able to give it a try out.

So easy to set up; smooth accurate movement to objects and any vibration damped.

And not only that I like the colour.

That's a very nice lightweight mount. Hercules also do a bigger version in red for only slightly more money. They both look great for grab n go. ?