• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Can all purchases be made after a new moon please ? ??

5 hours ago, tuckstar said:

I've been after one of these for a little bit now but they rarely come up. Ended up paying more than I wanted, that's customs for you, but does complete, for now, my Clavè set. The set was put together by the previous owner as a barlowed set. So with a 25, 16, 10, 6 and 4mm + the barlow, it is a barlow by the way, it covers all the bases. Interesting eyepiece holder, it's like a cut in the casing which acts as a spring to hold the eyepiece in place and is actually quite secure. Still not in the same league as Docs collection but I'm happy.

20190523_175836

20190523_175904

12 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Can all purchases be made after a new moon please ? ??

Sorry, more purchases still to come as well, so will be cloudy for months.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shiny things ?

2019-06-08_11-37-06

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 2

Very nice Andy.

Looking forward to hearing how they perform.?

I'm interested to know where the GPC (is it a 1.7x) fits ??

Did the Delites come with it ?  Do you have the standard WO 20mm's as well ?

That looks a good buy.........and a spare quick changer as well. Very useful.

You have the 'heavy duty version' of the quick changer. They are so much more secure than the standard type.

So, t2 quick changer from rear of ota direct to prism. Gpc screws in to prism exit and then 2nd quick changer on to t2 adapter on bino viewers. The quick changers give me the rotation and as shorter light path as possible.

Eyepieces were separate.  I ordered the binoviewer without accessories, but wo don't sell it on its own any more, so ended up with the kit, x2 20mm and the small 1.6 barlow. This should enable me to use with the newt should i choose so all good really. 1.7 Gpc was seperate to fit my prism. 

Unfortunately the delites, nor the wo eyepieces came to focus with out the gpc. It was close with the delites. Was hoping to be able to use them at 18.3 and 10mm with the gpc. But did get some stunning views of the moon and it filled the fov lovely after sone faffing getting both eyes properly focused. I do prefer the eyepiece holder on the maxbright. I found the compression ring on the wo isn't holding the eyepiece central so when I try to fine tune with the diopter I'm suddenly not merged anymore, and to get them merged meant sacrificing really fine focus.

That said I have enjoyed using them tonight, just some more fine tuning to do, maybe some higher mag eyepieces, but happy over all.

• Like 2

I'm a little puzzled.

You should only need to use just the one quick changer, not 2 ?

Using a second will add around 10mm or so to the lightpath.

I will add a few bits to your post over on the eyepiece forum regarding the Maxbright binoviewer.

Edited by Bino-viewer

• 4 weeks later...

Bahtinov mask arrived for the quadruplet ,and pavle printing an adapter for the  AF1 autofocuser to fit the quad too. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh !

A large square box, fairly flat, and very heavy, has arrived......

I wonder what could be inside...? 

48368397547_de000ae5e1_b.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Oh !

A large square box, fairly flat, and very heavy, has arrived......

I wonder what could be inside...? 

48368397547_de000ae5e1_b.jpg

Do not open it’s full of clouds ???

Its not from FLO.

I'm been after one of these for a while....

Geoptik 'Eartha' variable latitude Dobsonian tracking platform.

Its a substantial bit of kit weighing in at 19kg.

So, with the variable latitude i can basically take it to UK dark sites and adjust for latitude changes accordingly.

There is a 'Y' shaped piece thats not in the image below : this takes the place of the base foot plate of my Orion Optics Dob mount.

I needed to make a few adjustments to it to ensure the best fit, so i'm having a friend do a spot of work to it. Very minor, and should be ready later today.

Its powered by a 12v battery (i'm using a small Tracer cell) and even has remote adjustment to alter the tracking rate incrementally if required.

This does not make the Dob 'Go-To' as such.

I have the push-to with my Nexus DSC, and when i home in on a target, it will then track it for up to 60mins. Thats the theory anyway.

Maybe if it stays clear, i can test it later on.....more photos and report to follow. ?

48368263286_0042504a55_h.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 3

Nice one Rob! What max size dob does it take? Or do they do platforms for different sizes? ?

Hi Kim,

Its listed to have a Dob size range of upto 24" and a weight capacity of 80kg....!! There's just the one model to cater for all.

I'm using a (comparatively lightweight for its size) Orion Optics 12" F4. Both mount and tube are listed as 14kg,

so with finders, dewshield, bino-gear etc, i'll be loading it with about 30kg.

It was the variable latitude : its adjustable from 30 - 60º of Latitude, as well as the generous payload capacity that attracted me to it.

So if i go to star partys away from home, be it Kelling, Devon, Kielder, Scotland or wherever i can adjust it to suit.

It wasn't cheap, but very little in this hobby ever is. It was however, a lot cheaper than buying an American platform from somewhere like Osypowski or Blandin.

The OO Dob mounts are very low profile for their size, so much so, i'm having to very slightly modify the platforms base section

and drill / tap some extra holes to ensure an optimum fit.

It should be able to manage my scope with ease, and indeed, something much larger.

Currently though, i have no plans at all for a bigger Dob, and am happy with my 12" for the foreseeable.

Had we the dark skys, the seeing....and the weather ! that might be different. Alas we don't, so i need to be realistic with what i want and can actually see.

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob - It sounds like it will take my 16" Lightbridge quite comfortably. It would be nice to attempt some photography with it and I've been looking at eq platforms for a few years now. I'll look up the prices. ?

On 25/07/2019 at 10:38, Bino-viewer said:

Its not from FLO.

I'm been after one of these for a while....

Geoptik 'Eartha' variable latitude Dobsonian tracking platform.

Its a substantial bit of kit weighing in at 19kg.

So, with the variable latitude i can basically take it to UK dark sites and adjust for latitude changes accordingly.

There is a 'Y' shaped piece thats not in the image below : this takes the place of the base foot plate of my Orion Optics Dob mount.

I needed to make a few adjustments to it to ensure the best fit, so i'm having a friend do a spot of work to it. Very minor, and should be ready later today.

Its powered by a 12v battery (i'm using a small Tracer cell) and even has remote adjustment to alter the tracking rate incrementally if required.

This does not make the Dob 'Go-To' as such.

I have the push-to with my Nexus DSC, and when i home in on a target, it will then track it for up to 60mins. Thats the theory anyway.

Maybe if it stays clear, i can test it later on.....more photos and report to follow. ?

48368263286_0042504a55_h.jpg

Intriguing - Having DIY'ed one of these, any idea how you go about changing the latitude, Rob?

I'm guessing you get a set of interchangable segments (the laser cut stainless plate bits) of various profiles? It looks like they unbolt easy enough.

BTW, once dialled in, you'll love It. They really enhance your viewing experience on a manual Dob no end.

Mine certainly did til I fell victim to AP... ?

• Like 1

Adjusting it is a 10 minute job.

The top (south end, below the black strap) section adjusts up and down.

And below the two steel cradles which sit on bearings, there are tilt settings (one on each side)

I'm not too sure how this will effect tracking but........

The platform has 16 latitude settings, adjustable in 2º increments from 30 - 60º

Sods law i'm almost bang on 53º N here in Derby.....?

But we will have to see. I've set it at 52º for now.

There may be a way to set it to 53º, but that will be another engineering job down the line if needed.

I'll post some photos and do a report in due course ?

Edited by Bino-viewer

• 3 weeks later...

New  bespoke dust cover  from our very talented graham for the tecnosky refractor as stock one falls off to easily  , it’s the bees knees 

New Bespoke dust cover

Love it

A heavy duty ball-head.

I'm putting together a lens based (for now) imaging rig, and will be soon purchasing a 'star tracker' to try some

widefield and shortish focal length imaging.

I will be using my existing photo tripod and Canon based DSLRs and lenses.

Its made by Gitzo and i found it on eBay, at a frankly silly give away price. I love a bargain ?

48585952682_e3d387b6c8_n.jpg 48585952752_7c16c44951_n.jpg 48586725911_ae4c8a3427_n.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

The darkside has been calling me for a while Andy....

I've always enjoyed photography and like the idea of taking images of the heavens.

Trouble is, i have little idea of what i'm doing and my PP skills are almost non existent.

Big learning curve for me, but it will be fun trying, of that i'm sure. ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...