• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

On 05/02/2020 at 20:42, philjay said:

Astro related a bit I suppose, new purchase = a new backyard view.

Wtg Phil - glad it's all gone through successfully for you both 🙂

Thanks Kim, its been 2 years in the making, the past month has been like a roller coaster. Dont intend to do this again for awhile.

Hows things with you?

27 Pan ? Very nice.

I'm a big Panoptic fan myself.

I have the 24s and 19s. They used to do a 15 but it was never very well liked.

I asked David Nagler himself about them at Astrofest last year but Tele-vue have no plans to reintroduce them sadly.

I've never looked through a 2" Panoptic, and i know both the 35 and 41 have a loyal following.

And despite being interested in the ES 92º in 12 & 17mm i've resisted the idea of buying any more 2" glass.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

27 Pan ? Very nice.

I'm a big Panoptic fan myself.

I have the 24s and 19s. They used to do a 15 but it was never very well liked.

I asked David Nagler himself about them at Astrofest last year but Tele-vue have no plans to reintroduce them sadly.

I've never looked through a 2" Panoptic, and i know both the 35 and 41 have a loyal following.

And despite being interested in the ES 92º in 12 & 17mm i've resisted the idea of buying any more 2" glass.

Yeah, it's the 27mm Pan.

Sn0RYe3m.jpg

I was initially concerned about the weight with my small refractors, but it balances well enough.

qat7KCkm.jpg

I'm a bit of a 'Pan Fan', does it show? lol

• Haha 1

That looks a nice handsome piece, I have of course heard lots about the panoptic’s, but never had a chance to look through one! I hope you let us know how it measures up 👍

Hi Steve : you've been quiet ; i hope you are well.

The 24mm Panoptic is my favourite, and i can see theres a nice gap in your collection between your 20 Nagler and your 28 UWAN 😉

Its also Tele-vues best selling eyepiece, which speaks volumes i think. 

Your 20 Nagler probably covers both bases though........

• Like 1

On 11/02/2020 at 16:51, Smithysteve said:

That looks a nice handsome piece, I have of course heard lots about the panoptic’s, but never had a chance to look through one! I hope you let us know how it measures up 👍

Thanks, they have a 68º FOV unlike the Nagler EP’s. I only have one Nagler (16mm T5) although I have other EP’s above 68°. I haven’t had a chance to test the 27mm Pan in the night yet. Daylight trials seem very encouraging though. Its sharpness and contrast are quite apparent.

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 1

Hi Rob, thanks for asking, yes, I am ok, and I have been a bit quiet on here, but it’s largely due to being busy doing astro stuff up at the MSAS place, attending lectures, meetings etc, I also help out occasionally as an operator on our clubs 24” newt scope during visits, also writing monthly stuff for our clubs Event Horizon magazine, and I am one of the editors too... but it is all good stuff, I am never bored! I hope you are getting time to look up!

Looking forward to seeing some spring galaxies now! 🔭🌙 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You have quite a collection ! 

I have a pair of N13s myself.

A bit of a love / hate relationship at times....

I'd like a bit more eye relief myself, and they have abnormally long barrels that make them 'stick out' of the binoviewer.

But they perform well ; i like the 82º field for high power viewing.

When the seeing is ok, they give lovely planetary views at 196x in the 140 refractor

I thought i'd try some 9mm as well and purchased 2 second hand.

But 283x was too much i found ; we don't really get the conditions here for that and despite a really good night last September when i put them

to the test i found they didn't add alot to what i was seeing with the 13s. I've since sold both of the 9s on......Nagler 11s are a possibility, but they're now discontinued.

As for high power, my 19 Panoptics give me 134x. If its good enough to max out with the 13s on 196x i know its one of those rare nights of decent seeing. They don't happen often enough !!!

Edited by Bino-viewer
typos

Thanks. I've been looking at these for a while. They're predominantly for my small refractors. I originally only wanted the 7mm which gives just over a 1mm exit pupil and over an arc degree of TFOV in my ED72 (60x). 

The 12mm eye relief is more or less perfect for me and I was astounded by the contrast and sharpness of the T6. So the 13mm was the next logical purpose and replaces my 14mm ES. The ES is pretty decent although it can show a bit of field curvature in faster scopes. I even like the T6 eyeguards in the rolled-up position, which is unusual for me lol.

• 3 weeks later...

For a long time I only owned a 16mm T5 Nagler. It's a really nice eyepiece although the 10mm eye relief can be tiring. 

HcR7iIEm.jpg

Over the past few weeks I've decided to add to the 16mm. I wanted eyepieces of around 12-14mm, 9mm and 7mm. These would be predominantly for my small refractors. The main criteria were that they had a wide field, were well contrasted, and sharp across the field with a dark background. They also had to be relatively lightweight and ergonomically pleasant to use with an eye relief around 12-13mm. I considered a few types, including other Tele Vue types such as the DeLites. The 7mm T6 really clinched it for me. So I got the 13mm and 9mm. 

• Like 1

I see you have 'a gap' between 9 & 13mm

Space for one of those rather expensive Apollo 11's.

Think of it as an investment 😉

Just bought an 18-55mm widefield zoom lens for my Nikon D3200. Prepare to be bored by lots of constellation photos when (if????) the sky clears.

First purchase for ages.

I will continue to post sub-standard photos until you all donate loads of money for new gear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2020 at 13:28, Nightspore said:

5lQclj5l.jpg

7LqUOeRl.jpg

I was thinking of getting one do you know if it’ll fit the Altair Starwave?

Almost certainly. There will be an adapter for it somewhere.

Just to be sure drop FLO an email, and they'll put you in the picture 👍🏼

3 hours ago, Streetbob said:

I was thinking of getting one do you know if it’ll fit the Altair Starwave?

That's a good question. MoonLite included some literature:

9OTx7pPl.jpg

I can't see any mention of Altair though.

kX3iQSSl.jpg

You'd need to find out who makes the Starwave and if MoonLite have a flange for it. I have a feeling the Starwaves are actually manufactured by Jiaxing Rui Xing Optical Instrument Co., Ltd aka  'Sharpstar' in the PRC.

http://www.sharpstar-optics.com/index.php/en

It might be worth emailing MoonLite and asking them if they have a flange that would fit. Apparently FLO are out of stock and didn't believe they would be able to get one for months. 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/moonlite-cf-dual-speed-crayford-focuser-for-synta-refractors.html

I got mine from RVO, although they had none in stock at the time, it arrived within days of RVO ordering it from MoonLite.