• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

I've been getting through batteries to power my scope so went up to Rother Valley Optics and got myself the Skywatcher Power Tank. Looks a good bit of kit. I had no real intent to buy anything else but after seeing the revelation optics starter kit sitting their in a display cabinet ended up with that as well lol

So I think I'm sorted now for a bit :)

Guest Kheldar

I've been getting through batteries to power my scope so went up to Rother Valley Optics and got myself the Skywatcher Power Tank. Looks a good bit of kit. I had no real intent to buy anything else but after seeing the revelation optics starter kit sitting their in a display cabinet ended up with that as well lol

So I think I'm sorted now for a bit :)

Oh man I hope you didn't pay a lot for it?

£30 jumpstarter unit from Maplins would do exactly the same .......

I was fairly happy with £55 they charged. Retail was £58 but a got a few quid off for buying the eyepieces as well.

Lesson learned though, I should have asked here first for advice.

At least I saved about £40 with the Revelation set compared to the Celestron equivalent I was all set to buy before seeking advice on here.

the revelation sets do look very nice, i couldn`t resist them when i bought my set a few years ago,

let us know how you get on with them.

8mm will give you around 250x magnification on a very clear night - planets will look awesome - but I guess I'm not dissuading you here lol :)

I think it will be fine Dex - you're right - probably don't need the Radian. But check the maths of the Nagler/PM combo - I think the Radians are 65 or 70 degrees but not familiar with the Naglers. :)

Nope the Powermate just magnifies - does nothing else to the image - you'll be amazed I guarantee :)

But of course you're bringing the object closer with it so it will appear a bit bigger in the eyepiece.

Okay thank you, I will leave things as they are eyepiece wise until I try what I have out in their various combinations. Dee can always bring a Radian out with her in April should I decide to buy one.

Getting a cheapie collimator from FLO!(£15!) Ordered a Baader Mk3 when they come in as it seems no dealers in the UK

have any! Tried 6 different dealers and ended up putting one on order. The battery cap 'fell off' my old one!!

Edited by Ron Clarke

Just bought a controller and heater bands to keep the dew a frost off but am now considering a big fan to blow the clouds away. :(

Just bought myself a new birding head for my Redsnapper tripod it's a Manfrotto 701HDV Professional Mini Fluid Video Head.

Heavy reading Craig, at least you will sleep LOL

Ha!

I'm already reading "Why does E=mc2" and have "The Quantum Universe" to follow.

I got paid today and I am resisting the urge to buy a baader Hyperion 8-24mm mark III click stop zoom eyepiece! The missus will go crazy!! I really want it though!!!

Guest Kheldar

I got paid today and I am resisting the urge to buy a baader Hyperion 8-24mm mark III click stop zoom eyepiece! The missus will go crazy!! I really want it though!!!

Do it :D

Remember that, as men, we have an excuse for doing such things... "We're stupid enough to do it!".