• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Felix if your into planetary the Antares Planetary set is a good buy, RVO stock em in 1 1/4" and 2" sizes, I use them all the time on lunar and planetary, see my spreadsheet for what they can be used for.

I find an OIII filter useful for planetary nebula, makes them stand out nicely with a black background.

I find a baader contrast bnooster useful on planets especially Mars and Jupiter

I also got a Hydrogen Beta filter, excellent for picking out the veil nebula and the horsehead in a bigger scope

Edited by philjay

Just got back from picking up a very large black 6" f8 Synta refractor, its huuuuge.

Gonna be another PJ project this, dedicated to the Mintron camera

Phil

Felix if your into planetary the Antares Planetary set is a good buy, RVO stock em in 1 1/4" and 2" sizes, I use them all the time on lunar and planetary, see my spreadsheet for what they can be used for.

I find an OIII filter useful for planetary nebula, makes them stand out nicely with a black background.

I find a baader contrast bnooster useful on planets especially Mars and Jupiter

I also got a Hydrogen Beta filter, excellent for picking out the veil nebula and the horsehead in a bigger scope

Thanks for the heads up phil. Have been looking at your spreadsheet since Saturday very informative. I like looking at everything but I especially like looking at nebulae. I will have to have a shifty at the Antares set :). Man the list just keeps getting bigger. Was also thinking about trying to pick up a second hand meg 72 also! This hobby will make me poor! Ha ha!

Felix

not bought anything yet, but given the wife a long list of goodies for my xmas list now she is back working, but as the cheapest on the list is £100 so i don`t hold out much hope of getting any of it.

i`ll hold her pressie back to see what i get if anything L.O.L.

Lol. I know that feeling....

i was right, i didn`t get anything on my list !

just socks, underpants and a box of Maltesers L.O.L.

Just bought a 1.25" Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter now they are finally in stock :D

Edit: And just bought a Televue 2x Barlow from Stephen, thanks :D

Edited by Eddy

Where did you get your LP filter from Eddy? I've been after one for a couple of weeks but everywhere was OOS.

I've just ordered Sky & Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas & The Stargazers Handbook (which btw is a beautiful book) from Amazon after having a look at Martyn's on Saturday night :)

Guest jasonbirder

Just acquired a Celestron 32mm Omni Plossl

My first eyepiece acquisition...

(only used the 10mm and 25mm stock EPs that came with my Skywatcher 200P before)

Hopefully should be a nice bright widefield eyepeice!

The Celestron 32mm Omni Plossl is a terrific eyepiece for the money, keeping mine while longer anyway.

Where did you get your LP filter from Eddy? I've been after one for a couple of weeks but everywhere was OOS.

I've just ordered Sky & Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas & The Stargazers Handbook (which btw is a beautiful book) from Amazon after having a look at Martyn's on Saturday night

I have both those books too dan. The stargazers handbook the missus got me for Christmas along with the celestron Skymaster 15x70's and a planisphere and so this expensive journey began :)

The Stargazers handbook was Phil J's, and I have it as well, I got mine for a tenner from "The Works" bookshop in Nottingham.

Nice for mooching through and planning what to have a look for.

Just found somewhere that had the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom ep in stock so ordered - should arrive Friday, can't wait, and they even priced matched FLO who are the cheapest - get in!!

Just bought some Battery powered heated socks!

I hope they actually work as my feet took an hour to get their feeling back at Belper the other day!! And I was wearing 2 pairs of regular socks and a pair of my snowboarding socks too!!

Hey Eddy, the link is below. They should arrive today. Will give them a try out and let you know whether they are any good. They take size D batteries so will be pretty bulky I think, but it's not as though we are jumping all over the place when stargazing,so shouldn't be too much of a problem! :)

http://www.primrose.co.uk/outback-battery-heated-socks-p-38665.html?src=list_btn&cPath=37_1263

Great link Felix - I wonder if they will work with lithium batteries.... I quite like the insoles too - might give them a try :)

Or take my approach, three pairs of socks for £1

True that already Stephen :) in my original post I said about wearing 2 pairs regular and one pair of (apparently) thermoregulatory very expensive snowboarding socks and my feet went numb very quickly so am gonna give the heated socks a go. They might be crap-will wait and see :)

*tried not true :)

Guest BigTfromNotts

Just found somewhere that had the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom ep in stock so ordered - should arrive Friday, can't wait, and they even priced matched FLO who are the cheapest - get in!!

Hi Daz

Could you let me know who has the Zoom EP in stock please. I have been trying to no avail, to get my hands on one of these babies.

Cheers

Tony