• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling Heath Autumn 2014 - Thursday 25th Sep - Sunday 28th Sep - Discussion Thread

Guest Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

The dates may be about to go live according to rumor ... unless anyone else wants to do it I will block book again :)

Edited by Kheldar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tibbz2

• red dwalf

• Daz Type-R

• Sheila

cheers Steve,

I`m up for it as always, i guess we have to pay 14 months in advance again, CRAZY L.O.L.

date is thursday 25th to sunday 28th September 2014

according to Kelling Heath

you can put me down too :D

Edited by Sheila

Guest Kheldar

RIGHT LISTEN UP!!!

This is the discussion thread, I will start another one off purely for bookings :) Makes life easier :wacko:

Edited by Kheldar

Oops answered the wrong post, count me in, i shall have to call them tomorrow to book, thanks Stephen and Sheila your both stars

Guest Kheldar

Just to bump this up and advise those who haven't been before - Kelling is stupidly popular (and for good reason.) You need to book this early else you may struggle for pitches later on. This is why we reserve the block this far in advance :o

If you're interested in coming, please get a pitch as soon as you can - it will sell on later (preferably first dibs to an EMS member ;)) if you change your mind.

At some point (usually four weeks from reservation) we will have to return all unsold pitches to Kelling as there will demand for them. I will keep the threads updated with this date when it happens.

I have changed my pitch from 234 to 239 today.

Please note the bottom of that block of pitches on that side is under trees and aint much use for astro. These are alright if you are going to set your scope up in amongst the others at the top of the area but if you want to set up / observe from your pitch its not much cop. Last year I let the chap pitched under the trees use my pitch for his scope.  

The map does not show these trees

Hi Guys, what colour field are you all on? N

we are on blue field, we have a block reserved that we can book... see thread, will hand what we dont use back in a few weeks

Sheila

Guest Altair

Righto - that's quite a good area away from the light pollution caused by the main buildings, and there's some "communal" space in the centre as I recall. I'll pop by to say hello - we're on the yellow traders field as usual, but that isn't really the best spot for observing. Nick

Just a note Nick, this is next years (2014) thread but the EMS enclave is in the same area this year if your going, it'll be nice to see you and share a cuppa

Guest devil74

I should be going folks...with CodnorPaul...i believe he has booked already for next year. I know he has got Pitch 227 this year so assuming he has the same for 2014.

Can anyone help with which pitches aren't under the trees? I've booked for this year bought Steves pitchT228 and would like to go in 2014 but would like to work out of my tent leads etc can anyone advise on which of the EMS pitches left would be best for this.

I'm planing to call Kelling Saturday but need a bit of advise from you pros concerning best pitches left

Ta

Thanks for that so if I took 226 or the same as this year 228 they're be free of the trees sorry to ask

Guest Kheldar

Just to add (as it's been raised) we blocked out as many as we could as there's so many new members wanting to come to these things :) Any pitch is better than none when they've all sold out and you can't get on :( It's really only the bottom few pitches on the second block that are less than ideal

Allan you can use this site map to identify your pitch location : http://www.kellingheath.co.uk/pdf/touring-caravans.pdf

Then pop over to google maps and zoom in on your field to see where the trees are in relation to your pitch (use the postcode to get straight there NR25 7HW). :)

Thanks for that I did try the map and both google and bing you can just make out the grey of each pitch but wasn't too sure which way they ran

Would like to be with the group as this will be my first Star party

Allan

Don't forget that even if your pitch has a poor outlook, we set up the scopes in the middle where everyone has good sky. This also has the advantage of being able to leave things set up, as there is someone watching over them. I have been twice now, and there has been no problems. It's handy when looking for more difficult objects as you can see where others are looking, and adjust your scope to get it.